Red at night, ruby delight

Red at night, ruby delight

A Story by Renyabee
"

The enchanting tale of the sole remaining night shepherd. Armed with handmade nets and boundless determination, she pursues the priceless rubies of the crimson skies.

"
My name is Fay Moonberry, and I am a night shepherd.
It means that I search for and gather rubies.
Yet, the rubies I seek are not the ordinary (though still precious) gems that adorn fingers.
These rubies are unique, extraordinary. Some would even deem them magical.
Of course, they are elusive.
One must patiently await the perfect sunset or sunrise.
One must be poised to leap from ladder to ladder with nets in hand, inspecting every gleaming speck, every wisp of dust, every rosy glow emerging on the horizon.
It takes years of training to perceive them. Rigorous training. Much like the tutelage I received from the finest night shepherds on Earth.
Well…the only night shepherds on Earth. My kin.
First, I learned the art of crafting special nets from the soft yet sturdy silk spun by the Spiders of the Dolomites. Years ago, Grandpa struck a pact with the Spider Queen; she agreed to trade some of their exquisite silk for our rubies.
Curious about what the spiders do with the rubies, are you?
Why, they consume them, naturally. That's the purpose of our rubies.
When ingested, they bring Hope, illuminate Grace, and instill a sense of generosity and valor. Cheeks flush with rosy hues, eyes shimmer with newfound vitality. As for the Dolomite Spiders, the effect is visible on their abdomens; they turn a striking shade of pink and radiate so brightly that the entire Dolomite Alps blush with beauty.
Today, I am the sole shepherd remaining.
Mom and Dad concluded that traversing from ladder to ladder, engaging in impromptu cloud hopscotch, and conversing with the stars had lost its allure after countless years.
Thus, they embarked on a new endeavor: seeking Choco Beans.
They departed on their mission a few months back, and I haven't heard from them since.
Yet, just as I ponder their whereabouts, a parcel arrives.
It's a petite red box bearing my initials, FM, etched atop.
Within lies a glossy paper enfolding the most exquisite piece of chocolate I've ever beheld, adorned with delicate, intricate patterns, tinged with a hint of pink.
The chocolate dissolves upon my tongue, filling me with sheer delight, while bubbles of rosy happiness swirl around me. The Ruby song, that ethereal melody the stars hum to themselves, permeates my mind. My heart feels buoyant, my blood dances, and I find myself unable to suppress my smile.
A note nestled within the box reads:
"We've finally discovered the perfect beans to complement the Rubies! We'll be home soon! Mum and Dad."
Grinning, I gather my nets and ladders, and step out the door, ready for another sunset.
For I, Fay Moonberry, am the last Night Shepherd, and seeking rubies is my calling!

© 2024 Renyabee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

55 Views
Added on May 17, 2024
Last Updated on May 18, 2024

Author

Renyabee
Renyabee

London, United Kingdom



Writing
Incontro Incontro

A Story by Renyabee


La Scelta La Scelta

A Story by Renyabee