The Bakery

The Bakery

A Chapter by Marie Mclaughlin
"

Our story begins with Valion, a boy working at his family's bakery in Morndale.

"
Valion the Elf works at his family's Bakery. Fay is a Fairy who works at her family's coffee shop. When the family Bakery is making little profit due to bad luck, Valion learns of a hidden Treasure Trove that once belonged to a selfish king. Hoping to save his family's Bakery, Valion sets off on a secret journey to find this hidden Treasure.  Fay yearns for a life of adventure, little do the two youths realize their fates will intertwine...

______________________________
Valion the Elf put 2 loaves of Sourdough Bread in the brick oven in the back room of his family's Bakery. The 2 loaves of Sourdough were the last pastries to make before opening time for the day. The heat radiating from the ovens on the last day of winter felt quite refreshing on a cool morning. Valion's father unlocked and opened the door and switched the sign on the door from "Closed" to "Open".
Valion's family owned a Bakery in city of Elves called Morndale.
"Valion, I need you to please sow some Wheat from the Wheat field while your sister Crystal works the front desk. Thank you, son!"
"Of course, Dad! I'll get to it right away." Valion answered.

Valion cut down the Wheat Shaffs with his scythe and placed the husks in his farmer's basket, one by one. When the basket was full, Valion lugged the basket to the Mill. Valion couldn't really complain about the process of grinding the Wheat Kernels into Flour. The mindless repetition of turning the Grindstone around and around and around over and over and over again felt soothing, almost like a trance.

"Valion? Ow! Valion watch where you're going!"
The voice of Valion's mother, Alicia, snapped him out of his Meditation when he accidentally bumped into her tending the mill.
"Oh, you need to pay attention to what you're doing! You got in my way bagging up this flour, dear!
"Oh, Mom! Sorry I guess I spaced out again. But it's so relaxing..."

An elderly couple walked into the Bakery and placed an empty basket and some coins on the counter just as Valion was helping his mother load the bags of newly-ground up Wheat Flour into the kitchen in the back.
"We need a loaf of wheat and sourdough bread please!" The elderly woman said.
"And some of those delicious honey almond cookies!" chimed in the husband.
Valions' father Garvey placed a loaf of wheat and sourdough bread and a small bag into the elderly husband and wife's basket.
"Let's see, one wheat, one Sourdough Baguette, and a batch of Honey Almond Cookies...That'll be 9 totems apiece!
Then a lone Fairy maiden walked into the bakery and approached Garvey. 
"I'd like some cinnamon Rolls, and a quiche, please!"
"That'll be 8 Totems, ma'am!"
The Fairy paid the 8 Totems and Garvey provided the Soda Bread Rolls.
After that, Valion's childhood friend Ronan and  Mirra-Ronan's younger sister whom Valion had a secret crush on, walked up to the counter just as Valion walked up front to talk to his dad.
"Hey, Valion! How's your day been so far, today?" Ronan asked.
"May I please have a strawberry scone?" Mirra asked.
"And I'll have a meat pie." Ronan added.
"Son, get Ronan and Mirra's strawberry scone and meat pie and I'll let you have a break with your friends!" Garvey said.
"Ok. That'll be 3 totems, Mirra! Ronan, that'll be 4 Totems!" Valion said, offering Mirra her Scone and Ronan his meat pie.
"Well done, son! Why don't you spend some time with your friends for a while. I'll call out for you when I need your help around the Bakery again!" Garvey praised.

And so Valion, Mirra and Ronan walked to Ronan and Mirra's family Tavern: The Red Lion. The Red Lion Tavern belonged to Roran's father, Murphy, who was good friends with Garvey. Murphy was pouring some Ale for a customer when he saw his kids and their friend Valion walk in


© 2021 Marie Mclaughlin


Author's Note

Marie Mclaughlin
This book is a prototype work and may be subject to revisions

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

22 Views
Added on September 11, 2021
Last Updated on September 11, 2021


Author

Marie Mclaughlin
Marie Mclaughlin

About
Vegetarian, Marvel Fan, Celtic Pagan, White, Straight and Cisgendered but not prejudiced. I write fantasy, short stories, some poetry, some creative nonfiction, and I'm working on a book on my own l.. more..

Writing
Fay Fay

A Chapter by Marie Mclaughlin