Chapter 1: Distressed

Chapter 1: Distressed

A Chapter by RealmWriter

              Pastel clouds littered the night sky, peeking from behind them the twinkling stars; as though they were playing Peek-a-boo. The cold, salty; frigid and thin, nipping away at my nose as I walked. Approaching the uneven and weak boardwalk, the water wadding against it's nimble beams and felt as though it may give away underfoot. Stressed creaks and moans sounded from them as I continued to the middle of it, turning and looking over the water quietly. The only other sounds were the hippocampi playing out a few meters away from me not having a care in the world; I sighed heavy heartedly. The ringing of a bell on the ocean sounded as though a phantom was offering a warning of an approaching death; the water dark and eerie.
  
I observed the shoreline around me in the reserved silence, picking up a stray stone from the damp, oak dock. I held the stone in my palm looking over it's smooth surface; the stone was silvery with a hint of quartz in it's depths as it glittered from the moonlight from the southeastern sky. Black spots were scattered around it's surface; making it very sundry. I let the rock sit in the palm of my hand, clearing my mind, I enabled the stone to hover over my palm. Letting it fall back into my palm, I launched it into the distance letting it explore the wonders of the bay in front of me. Becoming dissatisfied with myself, I shoveled my hands deep into my pockets leaning against a support beam. I felt as though this had become a bad habit of mine over the last few years; I always secluded myself from everyone else.

                          Silence hung over my shoulders like a cape; for three years I'd come to the same spot and hope to see their return. For them to run off their boat and embrace me, but nothing; no letters or any ships that resembled theirs. Asking myself through the quiet, "Where are they? Why haven't they returned like they promised? Did they forget about me?" Three years ago they were assigned an operation to scout a location we received information about that contained enemy weapon caches. Nothing ever returned, neither did my friends or anyone we ever sent over there. Remaining in the missing log, we had tried asking for assistance from other camps and they have had the same incidents we have. Curiosity digging into my chest I frown, "Just doesn't make sense."  Nothing added up in my head and it drove me crazy, I hardly sleep because of the many nightmares, or "visions" I see.  Many of my past siblings from a millennia ago went insane from the dreams and visions, many died in their sleep because they were that strong.


Suddenly a hand touched my shoulder, I jumped to lost in thought to realize my friend had came over. Her hair long and golden, her joyous turquoise eyes scanning me. Her face a bit pale, but pleasantly took in the moon light giving her a soft glow. "Lykos are you okay, you've been avoiding everyone a bit more lately." Shaking my head out of the trans I had been in, I look at her for a quiet moment. "Y-yeah, I'm fine. Just been thinking a lot more then usual." Her face expressed concern, but she nodded it off; "Lykos you know I'm here for you right? You can always talk to me." Looking at the Hippocampi, I look down," I know Nalani, thank you." Standing in the peace for a slight moment, I turn to her. And hug her gently, surprised she held her breath and slowly hugged me back. "Thank you Nalani, your a great friend. I don't know what I'd do without you." Letting go a second later, she looked at me," Well I think it's time for me to head to bed, you probably should too since we've have to do exams tomorrow anyways. Good night Lykos, I'll see you in the morning." With a simple wave she turned on her heels and walked to the cabins. After a few moments of quietness I began walking to the direction of my cabin on the North side of camp, the damp grass under my sneakers leaving small mud streaks on them. Opening the heavy redwood door to my cabin, the familiar smell of cinnamon and apples filled my numb nose; taking in a deep breath of the sweet fragrance.

My cabin had a unique look to it, the floors a white snow carpet; the walls each a different biomes. The one that my bed sat against was a lush green valley, far below a small village though to far to see small figures moved around the village tending to its needs. Rice fields and bamboo houses, sweet peace and serenity. My left wall was a redwood forest, but not like any other; for the trees had ivory vines that twined around them. The trees reaching through their canvas, reaching up for their sunlight like hungry baby birds at feeding time. Branched jutted out in many directions and angles; their leaves were a neon purple, as though their were filled with a witches poison. Small creatures peeked from behind the trees, and scurried around in the vegetation. The right contained a view of a volcano, tall and stalwart. Molten magma drizzled slowly down its sides, watching it in content it was oddly satisfying. The ceiling was a star filled night sky, were the white fluffed clouds strolled across slowly observing the chalky moon. The wall in which held my door was that of a wide open prairie, where the long golden grass basked in the suns glow. Sunflowers, corn, and cattle were strewed around it.

  I walked to my bed, running my hand over the familiar bear skinned comforter; and turned sitting on my bed in the quiet. Kicking my shoes off, I fall back onto my bed exhaling deeply and looking up at the starry ceiling. The night had began to grow old, as I yawned I felt a bit of relief in my chest. I got up turning my lantern off and getting back into my bed, covering up with the bear skin blanket I slowly dozed off into a restless sleep. I opened my eyes, feeling a slight tugging at my arm; drowsy I looked around seeing nothing. Rubbing my eyes I felt the tugging again, but this time at my pant leg. Confused, I sat up quickly to see a small dog, grey fur and blue eyes it sniffed at me curious. Smiling lightly, I reached out offering my hand so it could smell me; I came to realize this wasn't just a dog, it was a timber wolf pup. I looked around quickly, my surroundings weren't that of my room; but of a run down building the walls were crumbled and broken.

                                 The room was musky and smelled of damp wood and mold, the pup nuzzled my hand gently and jumped into my lap. Looking down at the pup in confusion and concern, "Where are we, where'd you come from anyways?" A cold breeze reaped through the room, as though I had returned to the docks instead of the comfort of my bed. The pup hopped off my lap and began towards the door across from me, standing I follow reluctantly as we enter a long corridor with yellowed walls as many portraits lined the walls. Observing them as I passed by them few were torn, others smeared and unclear; my heart pounding hard in my chest. I kept following the adorable little pup as the corridor came to an end we stood at the front of a bronze door, the wolf pup scratched lightly at the door. Wanting to turn away and leave the door shut; I reached out slowly expecting someone to open it and take my head off. I grabbed the rusty door knob and turned it slowly hearing the latch come undone, I slowly pushed it open as it revealed another room. Snow fell through the broken skylight, as it seeped onto the floor; tree roots dug through the walls. In the center of the room sat a bigger wolf, the size of a mastiff; my heart jumped to my throat. It's coat was white, but blood was splattered around within the fur as though it wore the blood of it's victims after a battle. It turned and looked at me and the pup, its eyes digging away at my soul. Blood red eyes, those of the purest red wine. Tensing my muscles, waiting for it's first moves; the pup walked to the elder wolf.

"Hello Lykos, at least we can talk here without interruptions." spoke a soft voice. I turned looking around in confusion I saw no one but me and the wolves in the room, the elder wolf began to inch closer to me. "Who's there, how do you know my name?" I spoke in a weak, shaky voice trying to keep my composure. "It is I, Reina Luna. I am the Queen of Wolves. Do not be frightened my child, for I don't seek to harm my own."


© 2016 RealmWriter


Author's Note

RealmWriter
Please leave me some feedback/ a review. I want them to be honest, I really want to know what you think because I really want to become a writer, please and thank you. Hope you have a wonderful day, and enjoy ^.^ If any questions please feel free to either ask in the review section, or message me directly. Thank you

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

256 Views
Added on November 10, 2016
Last Updated on November 11, 2016


Author

RealmWriter
RealmWriter

Phoenix, AZ



About
I'm an 18 year old writer, I love writing and it's become a wonderful hobby in my life. Not only do I write stories, I write poetry, and my own song lyrics. I started writing when I was 12; inspired b.. more..

Writing