I Did it For Me

I Did it For Me

A Story by Nightshade
"

A short story about the UFC, because why not?

"

I’m walking up to the octagon, all of my life has led to this; I’m going to fight the Welterweight title holder and I will win. The crowd is deafening, and the walk to the octagon seems to take forever. At this point, I’d be glad if it went on forever. I feel so nervous, I can feel my breakfast rising back up. The announcer is calling us out.

‘Ladies and gentlemen, we… are… live!’

Oh god, it’s started.

‘This is the main event of the evening! This is the moment you’ve all been waiting for… IT’S TIME!’

I’m slightly closer to the octagon now. The crowd is reaching for me. I’m almost there. My mouth has gone dry and it feels gravelly. I step onto the octagon. The floor is splattered with random spots of blood. It smells, metallic and so sweaty that it could put a men’s change room to shame.

‘Ladies and gentlemen, presenting the reigning, defending UFC Welterweight champion of the world. David “SAVAGE” Covington!’

My turn now David.

‘Currently in the ring, current Featherweight champion… Chris “COBRA” Carter!’

Oh yeah, I’m psyched. Covington stares at me, I can feel the hostility from here. I look at the crowd. I wave at Sly Sharp, she’s watching me tonight. I’m doing this for her. Sly, please, notice me, I’m doing this all for you.

I see us running from Chuck, he’s running after us, fuming. He’s yelling at us to give him our lunch money. Sly is laughing hysterically, wind rushing past us both. Sly is a rapper, she’s insanely talented, signed on with Shady Records in her first few months of recording. Sly, it’s my turn to impress you now. I see my house. Old, run down. I can hear my dad on the phone, telling whoever it is that he can pay rent next month, how he doesn’t want to be evicted. I can hear my mum crying, crying that she can’t provide a good life for me. I can hear them screaming at each other, screaming about things I could never understand. I can hear my dad’s silence, I can hear the door slam as he walks out. I knew that he would never come back. Mum, I’m doing this for you too. Just watch me. Dad, watch me. See what you lost. Come back to us.

We’re almost at the fight now. I can barely hear the announcer as he starts the match. David rushes forward. It’s begun.

His left leg slams into my chest. The crowd roars excitedly and I can feel blood dripping down my chin. I grab his leg and fall down with him. The announcer is yelling deafeningly, I grapple with David. He manages to get off and kicks me in the chest again. I automatically curl up as the excruciating pain overloads my mind. The crowd is going crazy. I’m considering giving up before David knocks me out. I see Sly. She’s screaming at me to get up. She keeps yelling, drowning out the people around her.

David watches me like a lion watching a cornered impala. I get to my feet and brace myself as he charges. I sidestep and aim a kick at his back. He swings himself around and grabs me in a face lock. He pushes me against the net, pinning me. You’re not going to get me that easy. I swing my legs up, I have him in a flying triangular choke. My legs are firmly wrapped around his neck. He scrabbles at my legs, but I’m not letting go. He stands up and falls back down in an attempt to get me off. I cough out more blood but I’m staying right here. We’re grappling on the floor again. David comes out on top and he pins me to the floor with his knees. He lands punch after punch on my face and the referee rushes over to watch.

Everything’s fading to black, all the pain has gone away and it feels so calm and peaceful. Out of nowhere, I hear Sly’s shrill voice.

‘Get him off Chris!’

With a massive grunt I kick David in the back of his head and twist over so that I’m on top. I land a punch on his face, another one, another one. He grabs at my arms in an attempt to stop me, but I keep him pinned with one arm, stand up and kick him against the net. I feel a rush of adrenaline, it feels so good. I kick him more and he curls up, twisting, trying to avoid my kicks. The referee runs over and pushes me off. He examines David all over.

I yell triumphantly and jump on the net. I climb to the top and face the crowd. I see a sea of cellphone cameras, blinding lights and the crowd is screaming. The announcer is going crazy, but I barely hear what he’s saying. I feel so happy, I feel at rest. All of my life, has been training for this moment. I look down and Sly is smiling at me. My mum is losing it, sobbing into her coat. Are you seeing this, dad?                                               

As I look into Sly’s eyes, I realise, I did this, I did all of this, for me. There’s a huge cut from my eye to my bottom lip but I don’t feel it at all. I feel so light, I feel like I could take anybody on. I look down at David, he’s covered in blood and a paramedic is wrapping him in a bandage. All of this, I did it. I did it. I won. I’m the new Welterweight champion of the world! 

© 2016 Nightshade


Author's Note

Nightshade
So what did you think? Please leave a review if you can, even a few words can help a lot.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on April 7, 2016
Last Updated on April 7, 2016
Tags: UFC, MMA, fiction, fight, action

Author

Nightshade
Nightshade

Sydney, Australia



About
Hi! I'm just a writer for fun, but I want to improve on my writing so please feel free to critique. more..