02x36: The Last Stand

02x36: The Last Stand

A Chapter by RA Fernandez
"

Austin and the ASG attempt to capture the Mastermind's subordinates before they could get away.

"

THE LAST STAND

 

     They rushed outside. Austin, Kyle, Janella, Berna, Ivan, and Patrick went ahead to the remains of the hotel.

     There they saw Spike and Landers standing.

     “How do we get back now? They’re gonna be after us,” Landers said.

     “Why don’t you turn into someone who can teleport and get us out of here?” Spike replied.

     “How about you two just stand there and let me zap your powers away?” Austin said.

     “Oh s**t. That’s it, I have had enough of you little pricks,” Landers said. He transformed into Patrick and fired his hands up.

     “Watch out, guys, he’s me!” Patrick said.

     Landers fired fireballs at them as they evaded. Austin switched the band to Hydrokinesis and fired a torrent of water at Landers. He transformed into Joe and fired electricity at the torrent which quickly traveled to Austin, knocking him to the ground.

     “Kyle, counterattack him.”

     In the far distance, the rest of the ASG were on their way.

     “They’re almost here!” Ivan said.

     At that moment, Spike covered his hands with spikes and fired two to his side. They rotated around him and he hovered above ground. He charged towards the remaining ASG.

    

They were running as fast as they can to help Austin and the others. Then they saw Spike charging at them.

     “Rico, Ricardo, screw that guy up!” John said.

     Rico turned his hands into acid and Ricardo was building a small supernova in his hands. They fired at Spike but he fired a barrage of Spikes at the incoming projectiles, resulting in a small explosion.

     “S**t, Michael, fire him up!”

     Michael turned his arms into cannons and aimed at Spike. He fired both arms at him but he simply maneuvered out of the way.

     “That’s it, you guys stay for support.”

     John turned his body into steel and also covered his body with spikes.

     “Wow, didn’t know he could do that before,” Cedric said.

     “Hey, how about we give him a round of applause?” Lanz said.

     Lanz aimed at Spike and started clapping. Spike dodged the shockwaves but got hit by one. It only slowed him down a little and he continued charging full speed.

     “D****t, I’m a lot more useless than usual.”

     John fired five spikes to circle him and he also hovered above the ground. He started charging at Spike but he was already there and pushed John to a pile of rocks near the shore.

     There they started beating each other up. John tried to fire a spike at Spike but he just avoided them.

 

Meanwhile, Austin and the others were still having a hard time with Landers. Landers now assumed the form of Nica, firing shockwave ripples at them.

     “This is giving me bad memories,” Kyle said.

     “Don’t worry, I’ll be there to save you as usual,” Berna said as she fired a psychic orb at Landers which was deflected by his ripple.

     Austin switched the band to Dark Control and charged his hands. He lifted off the ground and punched Landers. He transformed into Dave and punched Austin in the face. He got knocked down again.

     “This won’t work, Austin,” Kyle said. “He always has someone to counter us.”

     “Let’s corner him then. Janella, Ice him up. Kyle, Berna, you psych him up. Patrick, well, you have no choice. Ivan, run around him, prevent his escape. GO!”

     They did as told. Janella encased Landers in an ice cube where he transformed into Patrick and broke the ice. Austin then fired a water ball at him after switching. He switched back to Joe and did the same tactic. Austin switched to John and the electricity just surged in him. He then switched to Terrakinesis and separated the ground underneath him.

     “You can’t beat me, boy!” Landers said. He transformed into Marella and fired water torrents at all angles, digging out the ground. He then hid into one of the tunnels.

     “Dumb move,” Austin said as he pushed down the ground around them. It crumbled down.

     “Well, that’s a wreck,” Patrick said.

     Austin switched to Fulgurkinesis and charged his hands with electricity. He looked around.

     “Guys, get off the ground,” he said.

     Kyle, Berna, and Janella did as told. Patrick lifted Ivan into the air.

     “Ivan, lay off the Doritos. You weigh a ton!”

     “Look who’s talking.”

     Patrick flamed his hands up a little, causing Ivan to react likewise.

     Austin clapped his charged hands near the ground and it created an electric shockwave. Lander soon came out and fell to the ground, still in Marella’s form.

     Landers slowly transformed into Janella.

     “Austin, don’t do this,” Landers said in her voice.

     “That’s the oldest trick in the book,” Austin said.

     “Well you gotta admit, it slowed you down a little.”

     He fired an ice beam at Austin’s face and a fireball at his feet. He fell to the ground. Kyle and Berna fired red psychic orbs at Landers.

     Janella went over to him.

     “Get out of that form you disgusting impersonator.”

     “Show some respect you stupid b***h!”

     Then behind them, there was a small explosion. Austin charged at Landers and pinned him to the ground.

     “A*****E! DO NOT CALL HER A B***H!”

     He switched the band to Power Sap and strangled Landers. He reverted back to his original form.

     “Go ahead! It’ll be painless, you stupid little kid!”

     Austin switched the band to Fulgurkinesis and clenched Landers’ face.

     “Oh ***, no!”

     He zapped him full of electricity, sparks crackling around them. Landers was unable to scream since he couldn’t even manage to do that.

     “Austin, stop!” Janella said.

     Austin didn’t listen, he just continued.

     “AUSTIN!”

     Janella rushed towards Austin and tried to hold him back. She also got affected by the electricity and fell to the ground.

     He snapped out of his electric rage and looked at Janella.

     “Janella! No!”

     He switched to healing and tried to revive her.

     After a while, she wasn’t getting any better.

 

Back at the shore, John and Spike were still battling their hearts out.

     The rest of the ASG rushed in to help. Johan absorbed a rock on the shore and joined in the brawl. Bam took out his guitar but held fire since it was impossible to aim. In fact none of them could aim since the brawl was too intense.

     “Face it, Spike. You’re overpowered,” John said.

     Spike shot two spikes at the ground at high speed which propelled him into a back flip. He then shot two spikes at John and Johan in mid-air. It hit them in the chest and they were shot back.

     “Anyone else want to hit me?”

     Bam fired an F chord at Spike and het dropped to the ground. He was burning and seemed to be melting.

     “Oh, s**t! You a*****e!”

     Spike fired a spike at Bam but it fell short since it was melting.

     “We got you by the balls now!” John said as he fired a spike at him. It passed right through his arm. Spike yelled in pain.

     Spike tried to stand up and when he finally did, he ran into the ocean.

     “Sam, shape shift into Joe! Electrify the ocean!” John said.

     “But I don’t know who Joe is!” she replied.

     “Oh d****t.”

     Spike then erupted from the ocean.

     “You’re gonna pay for that.”

     Spike shot a spike into Bam’s guitar. It was too fast to be countered and went right through, going through Bam’s right arm as well.

      “Crap, PATRICK! JANELLA! Someone, call one of them, both of them, doesn’t matter!”

 

Austin was still there, trying to revive the girl he loved.

     “Janella, come on. Wake up. I need you.”

     He looked over to Landers. He was still down.

      ‘Hurry, Janella. He’s gonna be up soon. I’m gonna need you when that happens. Please.”

     Austin put his hands over Janella and tried to heal her again but it was no use.

     “Janella, please!”

     “Guys, I need Patrick or Janella!” Joel said, running from the other side.

     “I’ll go!” Patrick said and he blasted towards the shore.

     “What happened here?”Joel asked.

     “That’s none of your business! Get back there and help them!” Austin shouted.

     “What do you mean it’s none of my business? That’s my friend there!”

     Austin tried some more but it was worthless.

     “It’s okay, let’s bring her to the ward,” Kyle said.

     “You guys bring her, I have some unfinished business.”

     Austin turned his hands into blades and he positioned himself over Landers. He raised his hand and began its descent.

     “Austin! STOP!” Kyle said.

     “IT’S HIS FAULT!”

      “You’re the one who overreacted!”

     “Oh, so you’re on his side now?”

     “Of course not! What the hell is wrong with you?!”

     Austin dropped down to the ground and put his face in his hands. He screamed in anger.

     “I HATE THIS! SCREW THE MASTERMIND! SCREW LANDERS! SCREW SPIKE! D****T! SCREW ALL OF THEM!”

     Austin turned his Band to the unknown 22nd spoke.

     “Austin, what are you doing?!” Kyle said.

     Austin fired his hands up. It was a strange green aura.

     “Austin, what is that?” Joel said.

     “Joel, shut the hell up before I fire this at you!”

     Austin aimed it at Landers. The green aura surrounding his arm opened like a flower.

     “Austin, stop this!” Berna said.

     “This is none of your business, Berna!”

     Joel tapped Austin on the shoulder and he dropped to the ground, unconscious.

     “Okay guys, let’s all calm down,” Joel said.

     “What was he trying to do? He never used that spoke.”

     Janella then regained consciousness. She sat up and looked around.

    “My head hurts. What happened?”

     “Now that I think about it, I really don’t know,” Kyle said.

     “You feel okay?” Berna asked Janella.

     “A bit light-headed but that’s it.”

     “Wanna go to the ward?”

     “Nah, I can handle it.”

     Landers started to twitch a little.

     “Guys, Landers!” Ivan said.

     They gathered around him, their hands fired up.

     “Be ready for anything.”

  

Patrick arrived near the shore.

      “John, you called?” he asked.

     “Fire at Spike, now!” John said while struggling with Spike.

     Patrick did as told and once again, Spike was screaming in pain.

     “And that, John, is your fatal mistake!” Spike yelled as he grabbed John and pulled him in. Their flesh made contact and steam erupted. John screamed in pain.

     “DO SOMETHING!” John said.

     Marella shot water at the two.

     The steam covered the entire area and there they were, skin stuck to each other.

     “Farewell John,” Spike said as he violently ripped himself away from John. John screamed in agony. To top it off, Spike shot a spike at John’s gut.

     “Enjoy the pain.”

     He shot two more spike around him and flew into the sky.

 

They awaited Landers’ next move.

     “Nothing’s happening,” Ivan said.

     “Wait for it.”

     Austin sprang to life, gasping for air.

     “WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?”

     “Sorry man, you were about to�",” Joel started.

     “SHUT UP! Kyle, what happened?”

     That was the moment when Landers sprang up, transformed into Spike himself, and shot spikes all around him. He aimed low and everyone dropped to the ground.

     “Now Austin, let’s go to Woodridge, shall we?”

     “What?”

      “Take us to Woodridge or,” he said before pointing his arm at Janella’s head. “I blow her brains out.”

     “Landers, that’s enough.”

     “Spike, this is our time! DO NOT INTERRUPT! Now boy, take us there!”

     “Get away from her.”

     “Don’t be stupid now! TAKE US THERE!”

     “Landers,” Spike started.He pointed at Kyle and said, “He has a Telegun.”

      “Telegun?”

      “You!” Spike said to Kyle. “Give me the Telegun!”

      Kyle thought real hard about the ARM chamber John devised to trap Austin. He held the Telegun and it changed its destination.

     “Give it to us now,” Spike reiterated.

     Kyle whipped it out of his pocket and fired it at Landers. He was immediately teleported to the ARM chamber. He aimed another one at Spike but before he could, Spike had fired at Berna.

     Kyle flipped the gun in his hands and fired at the spike. It was a perfect shot and the spike disappeared.

      Kyle suddenly felt a pain in his stomach. He looked down and Spike had hit him right in the center, the second injury there for the night. As Kyle fell to the ground, he shot the Telegun at Spike and he disappeared.

     “Kyle!” Austin said. He switched the band to Healing and mended his wounds. “They didn’t screw with your mind this time, you’re gonna be alright.”

     “Austin, you handle them. I gotta rest for a while.”

      “Sure thing buddy. I’ll get them.”

     Austin stood up and healed all the others’ injuries.

     “Let’s sap those mutants,” Austin said.

     Berna, Janella, Ivan, and Joel stood up. Berna lifted Kyle into the air. They all went towards the base, Austin leading them.

    

They arrived at the base and the ASG was there, bringing John in. Austin found the lever and pulled it. Then it hit him, when he was out of control, he disabled the ARM chamber.

     Spike shot out of the chamber and grabbed Austin. He propelled them both to the Mindanao Building. They went on until Austin switched to Pyrokinesis and fired upwards, changing their direction causing them to crash through the roof of the bridge.

     “This ends tonight,” Spike said.

     Austin fired his hands up and charged into hand �"to-hand combat with Spike.

      Spike had the upper hand, slashing Austin in his right arm. Austin then grabbed Spikes hands and fired up his. It was disgusting; he felt Spike’s flesh melt in his very hands. When Austin let go, Spike immediately thrust his burning hands into Austin’s face, muffling his screams. He struggled to be free of it until they fell off the balcony of the bridge.

 

Back at the base. Janella, Berna, Joel, Ivan, and the rest of the ASG except for Kyle and John were watching the ARM chamber, where Landers disappeared.

     “Get ready for anything,” Berna said.

     “Hey guys,” a voice said from behind them.

      They turned around, it was Austin.

      “Well hello, Landers,” Ernst said.

      “No! It’s me, Austin!”

      “Oldest trick in the book, indeed,” Lanz said.

      “Quite right!” Landers said.

     Landers fired psychic orbs at everyone. The orbs were too quick but Janella and Ernst dodged them. Everyone else was knocked down.

     Janella and Ernst were looking around. There was no sign of Landers.

     “D****t, I hate this part!” Ernst said.

      Then, to Janella’s horror, he saw Landers in the form of Austin, descend behind Ernst. She remembered her dream back in November. It was coming true but not how she expected.

     Landers fired a psychic orb at Ernst and he was shot back. He turned to face Janella and charged a red psychic orb.

     Without further ado, he fired at Janella. She knew it would happen and came prepared. She moved her arms in front of her to create a fire-ice shield which was a mixture of her two powers, interweaved to create the ultimate defense.  She wrapped the psychic orb with the field and shot it back at Landers. It hit him directly in the head and he was knocked back to his original form.

 

Austin was still struggling with Spike. He then came to his senses, overcoming all pain and turned his entire body into a fiery mass. He charged into Spike and was immediately shot out.

     To his surprise, Spike solidified before his very eyes and his eyes became surrounded in a purple aura. Austin already knew what was happening.

     He was quite right. Spike spoke in an all too familiar voice.

     “Good evening, Mr. Fernandez.”

     “Controlling your own henchman, are you really that desperate?” Austin said.

     “He is not my henchman; he is my loyal friend who would give anything for our cause, even his free will.”

     The Mastermind covered his entire body in spikes which were shielded by a psychic field.

     “Tonight, you will see my true power!”

      He pointed at Austin. The purple aura surrounding the spikes pointed at him turned from purple to red. He shot it at him as he turned his entire body into fire. The spike passed through but the hole did not close. It was being held open by a red psychic field. Austin reverted back to his normal form and he saw that he was bleeding, with a red psychic field holding the wound open.

     “If you want to live, you will teleport us now to your base.”

     Austin clenched his stomach in pain. Then he started to laugh, realizing that he and Kyle had pretty much the same injury.

    “Okay, Double M, you win.”

     Austin switched the band to space-manipulation and fired at the mastermind. Although Spikes body was gone, there was now a psychic being floating in front of him.

     “You can’t cheat me, Mr. Fernandez.”

     The psychic being jumped into Austin’s body and he was back in the white void.

     It was exactly the same in the white void. He was on the ground, the psychic being standing over him.

     “Soon, I will destroy your free will and I can do as I please.”

     “Why didn’t you do this earlier in the year where nothing mattered?”

     “Do you have any idea how long it took my researchers to create a machine so strong it could allow me to exist as a psychic being outside of my own body?”

     Austin now had an idea. By experience, he knew it was impossible to power-sap The Mastermind but he knew that he could sap power from him, however little.

     Austin switched the Band to Power sap and formed it in his hands. The white orb appeared. A red orb started circling around it; this was followed by a blue orb and a green orb. He fired it at full force towards the psychic being. It simply pounced off.

     “That’s useless in here, Mr. Fernandez. I am in control!”

     Austin noticed the being’s shade of purple grew paler. He had to get out of here first.

     Austin switched to dark power. He charged his hands and ran towards the being. He didn’t even notice his bleeding anymore. He just ran until he made contact.

     He shoved his hands into the being as it slowly faded. When the being was plain white, the white void slowly disappeared and they were back in the school grounds.

     “Looks like your researchers wasted their time.”

     Austin switched back to power sap and formed it in his hands again. He fired it at the being as it disappeared.

     He looked around for any remains. The psychic field in his stomach was gone. He was able to heal himself. While looking around, a space rift suddenly appeared behind him and he was pulled in.

    

He was now in the Mastermind’s base. Spike was lying on a bed to his right, seemingly sleeping.

     He looked around and found the door in the far side of the room. He might finally see the Mastermind.

     He went out and found himself in a hallway. He went around the hallway to look for the researchers’ room.

     Eventually, he found it and went inside. There was nobody there and the only notable thing in the room was this giant machine. From the machine, more or less thirty tubes extended into the adjacent room through openings in the steel wall. Austin switched to cosmic power and fired a supernova at the machine. It blew up and he went out of the room.

     He switched to space manipulation and tried to teleport out of there. Strangely, it did not work.

     He went back to the room from where he came from but he couldn’t find it amidst the maze of a hideout he was in.

     He looked around for something that might take him out of there. The closest thing he found was an inventions room so he went in.

     He looked around searching for something similar to the Telegun. He couldn’t find anything and went back out.

     He continued to search until he found himself in the lobby. The opening that outsiders used was blocked. He only had two ways to go from here.

     He went to the right corridor where he saw a bunch of chairs in the side as if he was going towards a doctor’s office.

     He entered the room at the end. It was a giant cylindrical room with multiple platforms.

     The door behind him closed and the ceiling started to whirr.

     “Oh, crap, it’s the power sap machine,” Austin said to himself.

     He fired supernovas at the door but nothing happened. Then, the cylinders started to glow purple. Six holes opened and six men went out.

     Austin clapped and all the men were knocked out. It turns out that they were only holograms. “This wasn’t a power sap room, this is a training room,” he thought to himself.

     The cylinder went from purple to orange. The platform above him released two bulky men. He shot shockwave ripples at them but they weren’t knocked down that easily.

     He tried the shockwave clap again, still nothing.

    He switched to physical manipulation and turned his hands into blades. He slashed them to pieces. They disappeared into thin air.

     The cylinder went from orange to red. The bottom platform opened up, raising an extremely muscular man with body armor at Austin. From the third platform, he switched to pyrokinesis and tried melting the armor. It was no use.

     The man jumped to Austin’s platform and dragged him down and started pounding. He fired a fireball straight at the man’s face and he was knocked back.

     Austin switched the band to physical manipulation and turned his hands into blades again. He stabbed the man right in the face and watched as it disappeared. The cylinder stopped spinning and he heard a voice.

     “Bravo Mr. Fernandez, you did a splendid job.”

     “Thanks a lot! How do I get out of here?”

     “You won’t.”

     Austin heard rumbling outside. He then saw a portal open up and Janella entered the room with him.

     “What took you guys so long?”

     “The Mastermind put all the security outside. We had to knock them all out and interrogate them on how to get in here. They had weapons that could counter us.”

     “Oh yeah, Janella, did I mention that it’s really good to see you?”

    “Let’s talk later, hold on!”

     Janella fired the gun and it formed a portal in the training room. They went through and they were outside at Woodridge Canyon. It was riddled with unconscious guards.

     “Like what we did with the place?” Lanz asked.

     “Love it!” Austin replied.

     “Let’s go guys!” Janella said as she changed the destination to the island and fired the gun. Everyone went through.

 

When they arrived, Austin immediately went to the ward.

      “John, Kyle, you guys alright?”

     “Never better,” John said sarcastically.

     “Pretty good,” Kyle said.

     Austin switched to healing and healed John’s face up.

     “Gee, Austin, thanks a lot,” John said.

     “No problem.”

     “What happened?” Kyle asked.

     “Kyle, trust me, it’s a long story. I’ll tell you after I clean up outside.”

     Austin teleported to the front of the hotel. He switched to time manipulation but before he could fix it, Janella walked up to him.

     “You might not want to fix the basement,” Janella said.

     “Why?”

     “You might regenerate your bomb.”

     “Oh, right.”

     Austin only reversed the portion of the hotel above ground and it was back to normal in seconds.

     “Now, I’m afraid we’ll have to repair the basement manually,” Austin said. They both just laughed. Everything was finally back to normal.



© 2011 RA Fernandez


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on May 20, 2011
Last Updated on May 20, 2011

The Next Level: The Black Band


Author

RA Fernandez
RA Fernandez

Philippines



About
I'm a simple man making my way through the universe. I do love writing as well and I'm still trying to improve my skill. more..

Writing
The Job The Job

A Story by RA Fernandez