02x02: Spike Estaquilla

02x02: Spike Estaquilla

A Chapter by RA Fernandez
"

Meet Spike, one of the Mastermind's closest friends...

"

SPIKE ESTAQUILLA

 

     519, Wedge Street was a very special house. In it lived the father of young Spike Estaquilla. Spike was 25 years old. He went to visit his father often. It was special because unlike most of the people his age, he had an extremely close relationship with his father.

     “… Then I walked up to the guy and picked up all the papers he dropped. I caught a glimpse and it said something along the lines of ‘Mystery Man caught spying on the president’. Some people really don’t have a life. They should get a job. Spying on the president, sheesh,” Spike said.

     “Well, at least you have a job. I’m proud of you son. That’s why you only have one brother. I always liked you more but your mother preferred your brother. Damn. It’s 7:30. You’re going to be late for work.”

     “Well, yeah.”

     “What’s your job again?”

     “It’s really kinda humiliating that you like the fact that I get a job so much but I get fired too often.”

     “Perseverance is key! So, what’s your job?”

     “I just have to do what my boss tells me, not the servant kind of stuff. He sends me on this really difficult task, for security reasons. He already gave me a task.”

     “What is it?”

     “Umm… taking out the trash…”

     “That’s servant stuff!”

     “Well, I’m just getting started out you know. He’s testing me with the little things.”

     His father eyed him suspiciously. Spike felt bad that he had just lied three times today. In fact, he has never been fired and doesn’t have a proper job. He, like the students of Elizabeth Seton School, had been affected by the radiation, but a smaller dose. This had happened back in 1994 on an overnight camping trip along with James Landers, now deceased, and another one of his friends who now calls himself, the Mastermind.

     The Mastermind had previously tried to kill Austin by possessing a student and wreaking havoc on the island. This year however, he has something else in mind, involving Spike.

     Spike’s “taking out the trash” statement wasn’t entirely a lie. Today however, he had to be trained.

    He entered his car and drove to Woodridge Place in Tagaytay. He lives in a suite there. It’s a very short drive from here to his father’s house but where he works was even nearer.

     He walked off to a Cliffside and jumped down a few meters. He did this very carefully. He pushed himself down a little more but he lost his grip and fell.

     He was falling in high speeds off the Cliffside. He snapped his arms to his sides and aimed himself at the Cliffside. He prepared his arms facing the Cliffside and held on. He was still drifting down at high speeds but suddenly stopped. He removed his hands and a large metallic spike was protruding through his palm.

     He was three-quarters of the way down the Cliffside. He went down a little further until he found himself at the bottom of the cliff. The ground was luscious green except for a small patch of land, which was brown. It was the only brown patch to be found in this square kilometer. He stepped on it and he fell through the ground. It was an illusionism created by none other than the Mastermind himself. It was a short drop and he found himself in a lobby. He went in the training room and there were two people sitting in line.

     “Spike you made it!” one of them said.

     “James is in there?”

     “Yeah, he aced the test like, three times in a row!”

     “What’s Tom doing here, isn’t he on vacation?”

     The man in front of the line morphed into someone else.

     “I’m not Tom. I’m actually Pete.”

     “Why does the Mastermind pick people with terribly typical names. Only me and you are the ones with unique names, no offense Pete,” Spike said.

     “I was just waiting for you to tell you that the Man will be sending your assignment to your suite tomorrow. See ya!” Pete said as he left the room.

      “Yeah, I think I’ll be going too. See you Spike.” The other man said as he left him alone in the room.

     After a few minutes, the door opened and a dusty James went out. He didn’t pay heed to Spike and just walked past him towards the lobby.

     Spike went in the room. It was a cylindrical shape with platforms every two meters or so. It extended a kilometer in height. The door behind him closed. Purple lights turned on around the cylinder as the walls now had purple bands around it. Six holes opened and six men were raised in platforms. They charged towards Spike.

     He grunted as spikes protruded throughout his whole arm. He shot the spikes out of his arms, knocking out two men. They disappeared out of thin air. It was a simulation. The top part of the cylinder was rotating at super-high speeds, creating this illusion.

     Two of the men took hold of Spike. He thrust his arms backwards, making a bloody slash across their chests. They also disappeared into thin air. Spike punched the remaining two men through their chests and shooting the spikes out of his arm. The spikes shot out of their virtual skin and a spike also shot out one of their eyeballs. They disappeared too. All the purple lights soon turned into orange.

     The platforms above him let out two bulky men. They jumped down and started punching and pounding at him. He simply dodged these but got hit by one of the punches. He shot two spikes out of his palms. He focused his mind on the spikes and charged them towards on of the bulky men. He impaled him through his mouth and the guy disappeared.

     He jumped on the other one and placed his hands on his head. He shot two spikes into his body and pulled his hands away. The man fell to the ground and disappeared. The orange light turned into red.

     A gigantic hole in the middle of the base opened up and an extremely ripped man with body armor was raised via platform.

     Spike sent a spike flying towards his eyeballs but he deflected them with his body armor. The man pounded on Spike multiple times. He was feeling frail until he finally decided to stand up and jump up three platforms. He jumped into the center and sent spikes out of his body. They circled around him and all of them charged at the man. He blocked some with his body armor but some went through his skin and some knocked off some of his body armor. Spike then fell on the man’s head and shot a spike towards his spine. He fell to the ground and disappeared, the top part of the cylinder stopped spinning and the lights all turned on.

     “Excellent work Spike, you will get your assignment tomorrow. I will send it to your suite.”

     “Thank you Mastermind…”

     Spike walked out of the room, covered in dust.



© 2011 RA Fernandez


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on May 20, 2011
Last Updated on May 20, 2011

The Next Level: The Black Band


Author

RA Fernandez
RA Fernandez

Philippines



About
I'm a simple man making my way through the universe. I do love writing as well and I'm still trying to improve my skill. more..

Writing
The Job The Job

A Story by RA Fernandez