The Ugly Duckling

The Ugly Duckling

A Story by Kat Leila
"

*A Memoir Of A Month*

"

The Ugly Duckling:

On January 1st 2014, I did what I hate almost the most: stepped on the scale. In sadness and shock I removed all clothing in an attempt to be even a little lighter then what the scale said I was. Standing naked on the scale, I felt low...very low. Spades and strong men digging couldn't bury me deeper in the depths of self-shame. Its then that I decided to change, to be a better me.

Don't get me wrong. I've changed a lot in the last 4 years, but it wasn't en...ough to make me happy, to please me. So that moment standing naked on the scale, I decided things had to change, something had to give!

 

Talking to a friend is sometimes the best therapy. Agree? Yes, in fact driving along on one of "our missions" we choose to do what we often do and "make a plan". This time we would "make a plan" that will change our lives. And so started the "Six months to sexy project".

 

It sounds lame I know, two chicks so over taken by self indulgence, that they have to consciously make a choice to change. But we did, and here is how we did:

Firstly its about what you eat. I remember reading a FB post that said "You are not a dog, don't reward yourself with food". Out of all the inspirational quotes, bible messages, funny pictures and life events shared with me on FB, this is the one that stuck with me the most. I was treating myself like a dog. A hard day's work- rewarded with food, a sad moment- comforted with food, friends over/ out with friends- treated with food. Woof woof. I developed a better eating plan. No gluten (allergic to the stuff anyway) and lots of fruit, water and protein. And no more snacks! Coffee...biggest sacrifice. Just 1 cup a day, real milk and a tip of a spoon of sugar. Yes! I was finally fueling my body, not drowning it in unneeded calories, and it felt so right.

Next, exercise. They say any successful weight loss plan starts with a good exercise program. And they were so correct. We started with little steps, just 3.3km a day. We have slowly worked our way up to a very hilly (is that a real word?!?) 11.6km route, and its HELL...but a good hell. We feel our hearts pump, our muscles ache and remember the words of Arnold "I like pain. You need pain to grow, therefore my pain is my growth". I sit back and watch myself grow. As the muscles form on my legs, arms, back and stomach; so does my endurance, stamina and will to go on.

 

So today on February 24th 2014, I did what I hate almost the most: stepped on the scale. This time, with pajamas on my body and slippers on my feet. This time I smile. Not only because the number that flashes at me is significantly smaller, but also because I know: I did this! This is a result of MY hard work! I'm stronger than I think! And maybe...just maybe its because I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and looking back at me...is me. The real me! Behind the insecurity and pounds of fat I was there all along. And ill be damned!

 

This ugly duckling is turning into a swan!

© 2014 Kat Leila


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Such a beautiful Story :)


Pain No gain. We are what we eat.


I did a poem of being the Ugly Duckling but mine
was different I was picked on and made fun of as a
child and called names.



But we always are happy when we reach a
goal and we did it on our own.



Thank you for sharing and thank you
for your kind review and comments
you left on my page.


Blessings. Benita

Posted 9 Years Ago


Kat Leila

9 Years Ago

Thank you Benita! No pain, no gain....m constant mantra!
Benita-Staebell M - KindredPoet

9 Years Ago

You're welcome. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
1 Review
Added on October 14, 2014
Last Updated on October 14, 2014

Author

Kat Leila
Kat Leila

Mbabane, Swaziland



Writing
Waiting Waiting

A Poem by Kat Leila