Remember

Remember

A Chapter by Petewa
"

A man finally remembers.

"

The maze was dug deep into the tall, lanky fields of corn. Seed stalks lay snapped and broken on the ground, brown and swollen with last weeks rain fall. The sun setting into the distance, its golden hour, light dancing shadows across the fields.


Norman Green smiles at the flashing faces carved out of a pair of grinning, orange pumpkins sat glowing in the cold October air. Shouts and cries of fear echo from within. A horror maze made especially to frighten and scare the children and adults who have come from all around Louth, just to enjoy the adrenaline pump around their veins and eat the cheap greasy food they sell in those white trailers that used to park out side of schools and make a killing from the teenagers buying their dinner.


"Go on then gramps." A sweet voice echoed from behind Norman.


Children ran wild in and around the maze and car park, their hands and faces stuffed and overflowing with the pink sticky fluff that is candy floss.


"Goooo." A cold hand pressing on the small of his back, laughing and gazing at the other children and spooky decorations, with the wonderful innocence of a child's excitement.


A small wooden hut, standing lonesome and glowing with all hallows' eve decorations, dangling and glowing from its roof and base. An elderly lady, her hair died a bright orange, her mouth full of fake vampire teeth, her eyes a dark red with the help of Halloween contact lenses, snatches the £10 pound note out of Normans hand, offering 3 black and green wristbands in return. "Have a terrifying time." The elderly lady said, a hint of boredom and hate in her voice. Norman, his daughter Colette and his granddaughter Megan walking towards the entrance of what the sign in the car park detailed as the scariest place in the UK.


"Its okay." Colette comforted her daughter, as a fuzzy haired girl, her face red and teary, came racing out of the entrance, pushing past the three of them. Megan's hands gripping onto her mothers jeans for some kind of safety.


The corn fields stood 7ft on either side, trodden stems crunched under each footfall, the smell of sugar and dried seeds lingered throughout the acres of fields.  Everything seemed different, but in a dream like state, it all seemed to familiar. The smell of food and corn, the noises of joyous children and parents, the thrills from the cast of characters jumping out of the corn maze and scaring the living daylights out of you.


Norman remembered it all. Remembered it like you finally remember where you misplaced the car keys. Remembered because of how special it was.


"Dad...You okay." Colette asked, snapping Norman out of his daydream, out of his loving memories.


"Yes." He nodded.


Her beautiful blonde hair, her oak brown eyes, her smell of daffodil perfume. Splashing and crashing around in his thoughts. Trying to remember something he has been told he will forget.


***



© 2014 Petewa


Author's Note

Petewa
Sorry for any grammar mistakes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on October 30, 2014
Last Updated on October 30, 2014


Author

Petewa
Petewa

United Kingdom



About
I am 19 years old and dream of one day being a published author. I have just started to write short stories, so I'm really not that great, but hope you enjoy anyway. more..

Writing