Father

Father

A Poem by Kevin
"

A dramatic Thanksgiving and a poem is born

"


 

Father

You raised me to believe nothing, nothing, greater than family.

Empty words when we don’t talk.

We chatter about movies, TV, or Oprah.
We reminisce about past pratfalls and embarrassments.
We discuss politics and the decline of American morals

But we don’t talk.

Every time family matters rise up to demand attention.
You run away.

I repeatedly try to tell you how bad Grandma is getting.
You turn your back to me.
My uncle, your brother in law, developed cancer.
You shrug your shoulders and give greeting card condolences.
My son, your grandson, is having serious developmental issues at school.
You laugh it off.

Distance provides a smooth excuse.
Hard work tires out the effort of trying.
A new family, whom you can lie to, occupies your time.

Unexpected weekend visits is that the best you can do?
Somehow all is made right, because you bless us with your presence for two days?

I’ve got news for you.

Grandma is still going senile.
My uncle is surviving.
We are forsaking our own wants to get Evan the help he needs
All of this and so much more go on without you.

I know we don’t talk much so try to understand I don’t expect miracles.
I expect concern.
I expect real sympathy.
I expect encouragement, maybe even a hug.
I expect you to show how there is nothing, nothing, more important than family

© 2008 Kevin


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very Strong and Powerful writing.. there is actually nothing more important than family, and only the man who raised you can make you understand this....... the line that made the poem moving "but we dont talk" was jus mind blowing... :)

SUPERB!

one of the finest poems i have read here in WritersCafe....

amazing work! :) keep penning

Regards,
Poetic Soul

Posted 15 Years Ago


Man, you cut to the quick! This is probably a story told too often by too many, but I am certain no one tells it as well as you. I loved the way you built it up from the idea of being brough up with the idea of family, moved the poem through family tragedies, and ended it with the family wrap-up. Kevin, you're good!

Sal

Posted 15 Years Ago


Dear Kevin,

A very powerful, "hard-love" poem. I can imagine the catharsis that writing this poem must have provided. Just reading the poem causes pain and I feel what you must be feeling. So kudos on the writing.

I have similar people in my family. Watching them over the years I've concluded that this is the only way they seem to be able to cope. There are stronger and lesser individuals. Perhaps as stronger individuals (in some areas anyway) we can feel disappointed at people's reaction and their handling of situations. But we should understand that unless there is true mean-heartedness there, that perhaps this is all that these people are capable of doing.

Very strong writing.

Best regards,

Rick

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 2, 2008

Author

Kevin
Kevin

Bridgeport, WV



About
Hmmmmm well if the feds are watching. I'm twenty seven years old, like writing romance novels, and detest violent sports. O.k. if this is a site is secure from government eyes, then I turn 40 this y.. more..

Writing
The Beating The Beating

A Poem by Kevin


Laundry Day Laundry Day

A Poem by Kevin