Details

Details

A Poem by Aram Alexander
"

No matter how closely you look, you'll always miss something.

"

They say that the devil is in the details. Well if that's the case then I must be a Satanist, 
because how could I not notice the way your chest rose and fell as if in tune with my own heartbeat, or the way your nostrils flared when you would laugh so hard the sound would become little more than a light squeak? How could I possibly not notice how your shoulders danced with involuntary shivers of delight whenever I traced my fingertips lightly over the small of your back as if writing in calligraphy a love letter to the nerve endings nestled there, or the way you exhaled and seemed to just sink right into me whenever you would come home and wordlessly settle your head in the crook of my shoulder in an embrace that would last forever, yet always ended too soon? How could I not notice the scent of your hair as you brushed past me in the library the first time we met, or the dimples that would form at the corner of your mouth even as you tried not to smile at one of my lame jokes? 

They say that the devil is in the details, but then why did I only see an angel when looking at your face? A face that illuminated my nights and days with its' presence as if it had replaced the sun and the moon on the horizon of my heart. A face, that face, your face was all I ever saw because you were my motivation for success yet also the reason I failed calculus again, because your face was an invasive thought that never left my mind. Because I never let it. Yours was a face that I studied so closely, but never scrutinized.

They say that the devil is in the details, but I never saw him coming. I would have sworn that I knew every aspect, every rise and valley, every contour not just of your body, but of your heart and mind as well. Clearly, I was wrong. But where were the flashing warning lights, the blaring sirens, the tingling Spidey sense of unease that something was amiss? How did I miss the brief glint of concealed sadness in your eyes as yours met mine? How did I miss that your hugs became fleeting; no longer little eternities of affection, but brief formalities instead? How did I miss the absence of those tell-tale dimples in your cheeks? How did I miss the toilet seat being up when I came home, or the lavender scent in your hair being drowned out by unfamiliar, overpowering cologne? How did I miss that you didn't miss me anymore? 

Yeah, they say that the devil is in the details....
 
But they forget that love is blind.

© 2015 Aram Alexander


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Aram…

I came across this by accident… but I read, you have an extraordinary mind, the detail, the flow, at first glance this did not look like a poem, after first read I couldn't call it anything else, not only was your story intriguing, but it has the flow of rhyme and not once while reading did it loose time.
A sad tale yes, but to me more was said about the writer than the Muse.

Well done, im off to read another one


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

BRILLIANT WORK!
I honestly love this piece.
I love the way you have written it out.
The whole story line to it.
It has so much emotions like it was: Romantic, touching, meaningful, sweet, yet heartbreaking at the end.
You have wrote your heart out in this one.
Im sorry she just left to with no warning, sounds like you where 100 percent, in love with this woman.
Hope you feel happy again sometime soon.
Again great piece :)


Posted 9 Years Ago


Aram…

I came across this by accident… but I read, you have an extraordinary mind, the detail, the flow, at first glance this did not look like a poem, after first read I couldn't call it anything else, not only was your story intriguing, but it has the flow of rhyme and not once while reading did it loose time.
A sad tale yes, but to me more was said about the writer than the Muse.

Well done, im off to read another one


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is such a wonderful piece of writing.I don't know how I have not read it before .Very honest and tinged with sadness.Love is blind we see what we want to and ignore what is obvious because we don't want to face the fact that the one we love with all our heart no longer feels the same about us.Really great work here :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I agree with AprilRN210 on this one, this was freaking out of the world my friend....

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AprilRN1210

10 Years Ago

Wasn't it! I absolutely loved it... shame not more reviews..
wow.... This is amazing! I do not understand why you don't have a ton of reviews with this amazing piece. This is sad yet beautifully romantic. I love the little details of how he sees her, the use of repetition, the dark humor towards the end to hide the pain of loss. I have to say the way you tied the ending in there was brilliant and creative. I honestly didn't want it to end and will definitely be reading more of your work. awesome job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aram Alexander

10 Years Ago

Wow, thank you very much Miss April for your kind review; to have you say that you didn't want it to.. read more
AprilRN1210

10 Years Ago

You are more than welcome. It was my pleasure. Ha "awesome" hardly gives it the praise it deserves.... read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

404 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 28, 2014
Last Updated on February 4, 2015

Author

Aram Alexander
Aram Alexander

Jogja, Yogyakarta Special Region, Indonesia



About
I'm just a regular guy who does regular things. Meaning I enjoy pizza, the company of dogs, occasional inebriation, equal parts worthy literature and brainless Hollywood fare, and spontaneity of the .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Imagine Imagine

A Poem by Chris Micha