One

One

A Chapter by Brittany
"

The first chapter of my story.

"
Spring time in Massachusetts was like going to a park in the Autumn. It was a bit cold but, luckily, it had stopped raining an hour ago. My boyfriend and I were finally moving in together. A soft tune began playing. I pulled out my phone and saw my mom was calling. "Hi, mom!", I answered enthusiastically. "Hi, honey. Are you going to be at the house soon?" I thought, "In about five minutes, why?" "We are co-", my mom got cut off due to my sister yelling, 'hi Brit' in the back. "Coming over to help unpack and stuff. I still have your sister, until your father picks her up." "Hey, mom, we are here now", Matt yelled to my mom. "Okay, be there in fifteen. Already on the highway." I smiled, "Alright, bye mom. Love you." "I love you, too, sweetheart." I hung up with my mom.
Matthew Duhamel is my boyfriend. We have been together almost a year. I walked into the house and set the last box down. Matt walked up and hugged me with a kiss. "How are you, beautiful?", he asked. I smiled, "I'm alright. I want to start unpacking, as soon as possible." He nodded and walked off, separating boxes by room. I started with the living room. Matthew and I were from smalls town in Massachusetts. We had, until recently, lived with our parents. The house we bought was part of his family but no one lived in it. There was a lake in our backyard, a fire pit. A shed stood off to the right and a balcony on the other side of the house with a three season porch. On the inside, when you walked in the front door, there was a porch, past that was the dining room.
To your left, there were stairs, a door ahead for a kitchen, and then diagonally was your stairs to the basement, used as a family room. Then, the living room and a door to a room I planned to have as our music room. Upstairs had two bedrooms and a bathroom. Beyond the kitchen was an in-law addition. I started preparing the kitchen as he worked in our room. I swept and sprayed the floors and countertops and anything that needed a good cleaning. Matthew came down and grabbed a glass of water before setting up our dining room. I smiled and worked into the music room from the living room. I set up his guitar stand and piano. I ended up pulling out my old microphone before setting up my stand. I looked at the label and ran my fingers over the switch for it.
I stared as my memories began to replay in my head of where I got it. Just as the heated memories began intensifying, Matt came in. "Babe, are you okay?" I nodded and he hugged me. "Don't dwell on the memories. Think of the new ones we can make here." He smiled up at me as he knelt in front of me. I smiled and hugged him as tight as I could. My name is Brittany English. Matt and I met about six months after I graduated high school. He is from a small town, Auburn and I am from Leominster, pronounce lem-in-stur. No one expected us to be together this long but we made it. I put the dishes away and I unpacked our bathroom. Matthew began working on the bedroom.
"Babe? Are you alright?" He moved into the hall to see me laying on the floor laughing hysterically. "What happened?", Matt asked as he picked up all the body wash and shampoo. "I tripped over my own foot and landed on my a*s." He shook my head, giggling. I went back into the bedroom and put my clothes away and his. I placed my jewelry box atop my dresser and then set up my altar. When my mom arrived, Matt greeted her and my sister, Cadence. "Wow, this is a tiny house.", my mom said. "Look inside, it's much bigger, mom", I said leaning in the door way. "Brit!", Caddie yelled as she ran to hug me. "Hi, sweetie." I sat my sister down with some Doritos and a cup of pepsi. Matt walked in and said, "Hey tho-" and was immediately cut off by my glare.
He helped my mom bring in our television and my mirror for the bedroom. My mom looked to the two of us, "I need help." "With?" "Bringing in a sofa for you guys. I thought you could transform the basement into a hang out of sorts." I nodded and bailed outside and unloaded it as we all carried it in then down the stairs. We put it against the windows and fixed all the cushions and pillows. "Your place looks really good guys, despite it being a hike to see you", my moms thick New England accent poking through. I smiled, "It will get better, I promise." "Hey, Audra, would you want to invite people over tonight for our house party?", Matt asked my mom. "Sure, who?" "Captain and Chrissy!", I exclaimed. Our cousin Chrissy and her husband are the coolest people ever.
"Okay, you want nana, papa, Aunt Donna and Grampy?" I nodded and looked to Matthew. "I'm inviting my parents and my grandmother along with my aunt and brother." I smiled. "Yes, our families coming together. Let's finish cleaning and set up", I suggested. "Mom, would you be a dear and help us please?" "Of course, Brittany." We all cleaned floors, counter tops, set up all the dishes and cleaned up the porch a bit for people to have their shoes on and I set out a few party platters. "Hey, babe?" I looked to Matt then back at the bar counter. "Later", he kissed my neck, "Can we party on our own?" I smiled as he hugged me by my waist. I nodded. He chuckled and greeted the guests as they filed in. I stood in the kitchen and began making salsa.
I wanted to just sit down and relax. "The house looks great!", my nana exclaimed. I hugged her gently and thanked her. "Nana?" "What's wrong, Brit?" I trembled a bit, "I want to just sit in my room for a while but you all are here and his family, too. I couldn't think of anything else to do. So, I am making food." She looked at me with a gentle smile and hugged me. I relaxed a little and decided to cook a bit more before actually going out and greeting everyone. After I made the salad, I went and met with everyone then stood with Matthew as he handed me a brandy. I took a sip and relaxed. It was still as good as the first time he bought a bottle. I was so happy to finally have the man of my dreams and a beautiful house to start our lives in. I was finally living out my life's destiny.


© 2015 Brittany


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

238 Views
Added on April 23, 2015
Last Updated on April 23, 2015


Author

Brittany
Brittany

Auburn, MA



About
I am a survivor of many tragedies in my life. Not many can say they are as strong as I am emotionally or mentally. Spiritually, I am still getting there. However, writing has always been a tool for me.. more..

Writing
Yup Yup

A Poem by Brittany