Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by starfast
"

Chapter 2 of the novel I'm writing. Focusses on a different character though

"

Situated at what was almost the exact center of Toltova, was the capital city, Galtia. The city was divided up into three districts: The Industrial District, the Farming District, and the Royal District. Prince Reid knew he was lucky to live in the Royal District. He had a nice view of the city from his bedroom, and he could see that the rest of the city wasn’t even half as glamourous as the Royal District. But sometimes, he couldn’t help but to wonder what life was like in the other districts. He wondered what it was like to have to work all day, to not have anyone cater to his every whim. He wondered what it was like to have privacy.

It was the one thing the Reid wanted more than anything else. He wanted to be able to sit up in his room and not have anyone come in to check on him every five minutes. He understood the concern. He was the only heir to the throne, and therefore needed to be kept safe. But surely he would be fine in the castle. It was surrounded by highly trained guards anyways. What could possibly go wrong?

In the distance, Reid heard the Old Clock Tower in the Industrial District chime five times. This meant that he had an hour to himself before dinner. More or less, anyways, since someone would probably come in to check on him. He flopped down on his bed, and stared at the ceiling. Any minute now, someone would probably knock on his door, asking if he was alright.

After about five minutes, no one had come to check on him. Which was fine with Reid, though he was disappointed that he had just wasted five minutes staring at the ceiling. He rolled over onto his side and outstretched his hand. There was a pitcher of water and an empty glass on his bedside table. Reid focussed on the pitcher. At first, nothing happened, but then the pitcher moved forward ever so slowly.

Reid had discovered his powers when he was eleven. Six years later, he still hadn’t mastered them quite yet. The lack of privacy that he had made it difficult to practise using his powers. If he wasn’t the only heir to the throne, then maybe, just maybe, he would have been able to do more than move small objects with his mind. He had still improved though. Back when he first discovered his powers, moving the pitcher would have given him a terrible headache. It wasn’t as much improvement as he would have liked, but at least it was something.

Reid focussed on the pitcher even more, and it slowly lifted off of his bedside table. He moved it above the empty glass, and then tipped it, pouring the water into the glass.

Suddenly the door flung open. Reid was so startled, that he dropped the pitcher and spilled water all over the table. He looked up and saw his Uncle Mordecai standing in the doorway with a disapproving look on his face.

“I expected more from you Reid,” Mordecai said, shaking his head, “I really did.”

“You can’t tell anyone, Uncle Mordecai,” Reid said frantically, “Please.”

“I don’t think you understand how serious this is,” Mordecai said, “If the Patrol was in power still, you would be burned at the stake.”

“Well, I guess it’s a good thing that the Patrol isn’t in power anymore,” Reid offered weakly. He knew that there was nothing he could say to change his uncle’s stance on the matter.

“Are they, Reid?” Mordecai said, putting his hands on his hips, “You know your father has been sending men out all across the country because of a few kidnappings. He suspects the Patrol is behind it.” He looked at Reid with narrowed eyes and added, “He’s doing it for you, isn’t he?”

Reid started to panic. His heart was thumping in his chest, and sweat began to drip down his forehead. “Go get my parents,” He demanded.

Mordecai looked at him and sighed. “God help us all when you become king,” he muttered before walking out and closing the door behind him.

Reid rubbed his forehead nervously. “What have I done,” He groaned, “Oh god, what have I done?”

Within a few minutes, both of Reid’s parent’s came running in through the door. Reid stood up and walked towards them. “I’m sorry,” He said, “I really am.”

“It’s ok, Reid,” Matthew, Reid’s father said, as he embraced his son.

“I can’t believe I screwed up so badly,” Reid said.

“It’s ok,” Matthew assured him, “We’ll figure this out, ok?” He let go of his son.

“What if he tells people?” Reid said, growing more panicked by the second. Tears started welling up in his eyes “I’m scared.”

“Reid,” His mother, Angeline, said calmly, “Remember my cousin, Mitchell?”

Reid nodded, though it had been a while since he had last seen him. Reid had maybe been eight the last time he had seen Mitchell. He worked as a merchant in Morbane, which was along the northern coast of Toltova.

“You’re to stay with him until things die down,” Angeline said.

Reid wanted to protest. He wanted to stay with his parents, but he knew their decision was really for the better. Mordecai’s comment about having him burned at the stake gave him the chills. He knew that the farther away he was from his uncle, the better. Reid just nodded. “Ok,” He said quietly.

“You’ll be fine,” Matthew assured him, “We even have some clothes that will help you blend in with the locals.” Reid noticed for the first time that his mother was holding a stack of neatly folded clothes. “Now,” Matthew added, “Go on and pack your things, then we’ll meet in the main foyer.”

“Right now?” Reid asked, wiping tears from his face.

“Yes now,” Matthew said, “We need to get you out of here as soon as possible.”


       ***


Reid changed into some of the clothes that his parents gave him. He felt silly wearing them, like he was wearing a costume. Then he packed a small bag that included the rest of the clothes that his mother had given him, some money, and a book that his father had given to him a few years back. The book was titled The Book Of Powers, and as its name suggested, it contained information on every documented power. Most copies had been burned by the Patrol back when they were in power.

Reid slung the bag over his shoulder and went down to the main foyer to say goodbye to his parents. He walked swiftly through the castle, with his hands shoved into his pockets. As promised, his parents were waiting for him in the main foyer.

“Well,” Reid said, “I guess it’s goodbye for now?”

“Just for now,” Angeline answered. She ran her fingers through his dark brown hair. “You won’t be gone for long. Just until things blow over.”

“And we’ll write to you as much as we can,” Matthew added, “We promise.”

Reid nodded. He hugged his father, then his mother. “I’m going to miss you so much,” He said, trying to hold back tears.

“We’ll miss you too,” Matthew said, “But it’s only temporary. You’ll be fine.” He stepped back, then handed Reid a piece of paper. “These are the instructions to get to Mitchell’s. His place can be tricky to find, so don’t lose them.”

“I won’t,” Reid promised.

“And let us know as soon as you get there,” Angeline added.

“I will,” Reid said, as he folded the instructions and put them into his pocket. He hugged his parents and said goodbye to them a final time. He headed out the main doors. For the first time in his life, he was completely unprotected. There were no guards by his side. No one to help him in case things went wrong. It was exhilarating in a terrifying sort of way.

Reid took the instructions out of his pocket. The first instruction read “Step 1. Go to the Industrial District to get on the train heading to Coral Bay. Hopefully you remember how to get there, since you were there last week.”

“Very funny, Dad,” Reid muttered as he put the paper back in his pocket, “And what if I didn’t remember?” He was thinking aloud, but his words scared him a bit. For the first time in a long time, Reid felt really, truly lonely.

By the time Reid had made it to the Industrial District, the sun had set completely and the city was filled with darkness. Reid continued walking down the cobbled streets, constantly looking over his shoulder. It wasn’t a good time to be wandering the streets alone. The crime rate in the Industrial District was small, since it was so close to the castle, but that didn’t stop it from happening. Reid was once told by one of the guards at the castle that petty thieves in the Industrial District usually targeted people that they recognized from the Royal District since they usually had things on them that would sell for a lot of money. He didn’t want to think about what people would do when they saw the Prince of Toltova walking down the streets. Alone. He hoped that no one would recognize him.

Reid was almost at the train station when someone jumped out at him. The person ran out of a shadowed alley and tackled him to the ground. It happened so quickly that Reid had little time to react. He screamed, and shouted for help but no one came. He struggled to get away from his attacker, but the attacker was much stronger than he was. Reid felt his attacker take away his bag.

“Hey, Ted,” His attacker called, “Go through this and see if there’s anything worth taking.” His attacker tossed the bag to another boy who was standing in the alleyway.

“No!” Reid cried, “Give it back!”

The attacker laughed. “Hear that, Ted? He wants us to give it back. We’ll give it back. But first we’re going to go through it and take out everything worth selling, ok?” Then he punched Reid in the side of the head. Reid kicked out at his attacker, trying to get him to leave him alone, but it was all to no avail. His attacker kept on hurting him. Reid was growing weaker by the second. He was slowly slipping away into unconsciousness. He couldn’t fight back, not anymore.

“What the hell, Ted?” The attacker called out. Reid looked over to the alleyway and saw Ted punching at… nothing? Ted was knocked to the ground by some unknown force.

“Help me out, Larry!” Ted called back.

Reid could see Ted getting beat up, but what he couldn’t see was the person that was doing the beating. It was the strangest Reid had ever witnessed. Within a short time, Ted lay on the ground motionless, just like Reid. It was quiet for a bit, until Larry broke the silence by swearing loudly. It appeared that the invisible attacker was here to take care of Larry as well.

Reid wasn’t sure if he had lost it or not. Maybe being only semi-conscious was to blame. When everything faded to black, he felt slightly better knowing that his attackers were being taken care of.



© 2014 starfast


Author's Note

starfast
Character 2/3 unlocked.
There's probably a few errors in this, since I proof read it once when it was past midnight. As always, reviews are both welcome and appreciated :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
Added on August 20, 2014
Last Updated on August 20, 2014


Author

starfast
starfast

Canada



About
http://starfast99.deviantart.com/ more..

Writing
Meticulous Meticulous

A Story by starfast


Little Boy Little Boy

A Story by starfast


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by starfast