Not Far From You - Prologue

Not Far From You - Prologue

A Chapter by Nearlywes
"

The news reaches Miles

"

Horrible news never comes when the sky is filled with clouds, a crescendo of thunder rattling the foundations of old buildings. Lightning striking from all directions giving the power starved homes a split second of light. When rain falls ruthlessly onto the pavement threatening to flood the streets. Where the air has a little less life in it and is left with a void. No that kind of news is always left for those bright days, where everything seemed to be going smoothly.  Maybe it’s just a law of the universe, that awful news always comes unexpected, it definitely had for Miles.

It was the sky that threw him off, the blazing light spread like wild fire as tiny white clouds freckled the sky in various places. As they came and went Miles could only imagine the clouds as people going through daily endeavors. The mind of his wondering in the idea of it all, the clouds building their own self and then dissipating only the restart again. Like they were throwing away rough drafts until they become that one cloud that brings on a thunder storm.

Miles had found rather early that his college psychology class was best observed only after it was five minutes in. The beginnings were the worst part, all the Hi’s and How are you?  No, lets jump straight into the mind, Miles thought as he found himself sitting in his class on time for a change.  It was Monday, the current day reminded to him by the classmates reminiscing about their weekends. He thought suddenly on his own and was met with only blurred memories, the alcohol was effective in that way.

“What did you do this weekend Mr. Halter?” He heard the voice of the professor clearly, though the response time he showed was atrocious. A few moments passed as he tried to think of something. It’s why he always chose to come late, the instructor never had time to ask him silly questions.

“I drank heavily.” He decided the truth might be the best possibly route on the various different paths he could have taken. Without missing a beat a man from the back of the room ‘Wooo’d’ at his statement. “I mean this is college, experience, isn’t it what it’s all about?” He had gotten most of his classmates to nod in agreement, some went so far as to make a noise that was suppose to be taken as cheering.

“It is also meant for expanding ones mind.” The professor proclaimed in a calm yet subtle annoyed tone.

“For some people it is.” It was an automated response, his mind had not thought the words, they were just there.

“And Mr. Halter, what is it for you?” He thought for a moment the many ideas of his floating around like pinatas waiting to be cracked open.

“An escape.” It’s what it came down to, but going into detail about it wasn’t something Miles ever felt like doing. The women in front sighed and continued on with her lesson, her voice was soft yet commanding. She demanded to be listened to and as much as Miles tried her voice was only background noise. Someone had forgotten to eat breakfast, the smell of bacon and eggs filled the room. Someone must have brought food in, Miles had thought to himself.

His phone lied in one corner of his desk as he looked outside the window, his peripheral vision caught glimpses of it occasionally.  Though the vibration was a surprise, the silicone surface of his case tapped on the wooden desk. The sound amplified by the small space gained the attention of everyone. His parents never checked in on him, one because they didn’t care and two because he didn’t care. Even with that knowledge he sat mesmerized by his fathers face on his phone. The phone rang three times, almost a fourth, but Miles finally gave in and excused himself from class.

One doesn’t normally forget where they were when their life changes forever. You remember every smell, taste, sound, and feeling you have in that moment. Whether it be good or bad, joyful or miserable, it didn’t quite matter because you remembered every single one. Miles was no different from everyone else in that aspect, as much as he wanted to forget he remembered every excruciating detail. His sisters death, a traumatic event, is what propelled him back to his home town and into his old life.

 �"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"�"

If you read to here then thank you, it means a lot. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it. I want to hear your input on it, good or bad. Please be honest and I will be grateful.

Thank you :)



© 2015 Nearlywes


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ana
I like that simile with the sky and the personification! That first paragraph was nicely explained. Why IS it almost always raining when something bad happens in movies and books and stuff? I mean, bad news? Here comes the thunder. Someone died? Watch out for lightning. Break up? Tornado sirens in the distance. I like how you switched it around for once. His sister must've died when it was sunny or something?

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
1 Review
Added on August 22, 2015
Last Updated on August 22, 2015