Freed Slaves

Freed Slaves

A Poem by An Enigmatic Mystique
"

This is about Haiti's history and its current state today. it is also about the brave people descended from Haiti's freed slaves and their continuing fight for Haiti's continued existence.

"

In Haiti, the African slaves were not free.

They were oppressed by European masters, in the 19th century.

They were beaten until they were bloodied, whipped into servitude.

The slave owners did not free them, referred to slaves with slurs that were crass and crude.

The slaves were not human to them, they were only their property.

In 1803, the revolt succeeded, the slaves became free.

Toussaint freed them, with his armies, and for freedom they fought.

The freed slaves revolted against their captured, and independence was what they thought.

The freed slaves had finally won, gaining their own land and home.

But their independence soon turned soured, as nation debts had come.

France would not let their slaves be truly free, they were still under their thrall.

Haiti was forced to pay taxes to France, long after the revolution’s revolutionary call.

For freedom, for equality, which ultimately rang on deaf ears,

As the French would not listen to Haiti’s desire to freedom, despite the freed slaves’ tears.

As time went on, Haiti enjoyed the prosperity granted to them by Toussaint.

But overtime, they were slowly harried by white slavery’s taint.

As the centuries wore on, Haiti became infested by poverty.

Despite everything they had been through, the freed slaves fought to stay free.

Papa Doc and Baby Doc, ruthless dictators, took over the land.

Spreading blood and despotism all over Haiti’s ground and sand.

As time went on, Haiti became more independent, but was hounded by political intrigue.

With Haiti being infested with crime and gangs, many politicians were out of their league.

When it came to fixing this failed state, made of slaves fighting to keep their freedom.

A brilliant country of freed slaves, now a broken kingdom.

But Toussaint would have still wanted his people to fight to stay free.

Even if he saw his state flounder in despotism, criminal gangs, and hostility.

Many world organizations have united with Haitians to help saved Haiti.

Haiti’s people still fight to keep their freedom, for they are still determined to stay free.

© 2023 An Enigmatic Mystique


Author's Note

An Enigmatic Mystique
This is an emotional poem about the Haitian Revolution, and how Haiti's people are still fighting for Haiti's freedom long after that revolution ended.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on November 1, 2023
Last Updated on November 1, 2023
Tags: Historical

Author

An Enigmatic Mystique
An Enigmatic Mystique

Burnaby, BC, Canada



About
I am a novice writer who enjoys writing short stories and poems. I like to explore imaginative concepts, as they allow me to explore interesting ideas. more..

Writing