Ascension

Ascension

A Story by Anna M. Mortensen
"

Would be counter-productive...

"

 

They swam in darkness. Cold and suffocating. Tiny fingers clung to her. They grasped her arms, netted their hands into her shirt. In front of her, they clung to him as well. He moved quickly, pushing them all to their limits. No one complained. There were no whimpers or pleas. Even their breathing was lost in the black.

Feet slipped and dug into the path. Mud and pebbles shifted, threatened to suck them down. Down into the nothingness. Dead saw grass wrapped around their ankles, cut through cloth and flesh. The earth rose. It took them closer to the dark sky.

Knees and toes dug in. Little hands felt for purchase on the steep slope. Desperate to continue. Trying not to let go. One fell. Soundless, without cry, the body slipped into the gloom. Gone. They did not look back. He slowed, stopped, gathered his close. He listened. The shadows were behind them. Moving quickly. Moving after them.

She listened too. Not to the shadows. She listened to the sea. The dark ocean. The salvation. She pushed hers ahead, urging them forward. He waited no longer. They ran. It was close. It was so close. But so were the shadows. They ran faster.

Then they were there. Hard rock underfoot. Tearing, painful, glorious rock. The dark waters were there. Moaning, beckoning. The starless sky welcomed them. They shunned its darkness. Forward. Still farther to go. Tiny feet moved forward.

The cliff. He stopped, peering over its edge. She joined him. They all looked. There was the moon. Pale light undulating. It burned their eyes. They welcomed the hurt. Still the shadows came. He looked to her, his face radiant. He collected his six, carrying them in strong arms. He stepped over. He fell.

Her four moved closer. She held the smallest two in her arms. The others hugged her waist. The shadows reached the cliff. They oozed forward, lashed out to gather the missing. She turned to face them. There was no light. They did not see her smile. She fell. The shadows cried in anger.

 

They stood outside the gate. Mud drying in the warm sun. Blood baking away. The children, filthy and scared, looked to them. They were afraid. The man and the woman smiled. He pointed to the gate. Gold and ivory, it sang a glorious melody. The doors swung open. The children’s' face lit up. Mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers waited, arms spread wide. The children ran to them. Never looking on the man and woman again. The families walked away. A lone figure stood, garbed in white. He welcomed the pair, but they smiled and shook their heads. The white one nodded. The gates closed.

The man and woman stared longingly. She looked at him. He took her hand. They turned and walked away. Walked back to the shadows.

 

© 2008 Anna M. Mortensen


Author's Note

Anna M. Mortensen
I understand that format isn't for everyone...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on February 21, 2008

Author

Anna M. Mortensen
Anna M. Mortensen

Orange City, FL



About
I eat. I drink. I feel. I see. I hear. I breathe. I scream. I cry. I laugh. I whisper. I wonder. I dream. I guess. I question. I believe. I am. I exist. I do all those things now and have done the.. more..

Writing
Rain Rain

A Story by Anna M. Mortensen