1

1

A Chapter by JEH
"

This is all back story to the meeting of the two main characters.

"

Sean’s POV

 

 

            Today is parent’s day at the Isle of Lembengrove. The isle of Lembengrove was named after Elicis Lembengrove he founded the camp for gifted magicians even though now were called sorcerers. I’m getting ahead of myself I’ll take you back to the beginning to when my parents were first contacted regarding my…curse. By the way my name is Sean Larkin.

            As my parents tell it I was about two years old when I started demonstrating unusual abilities. My mom recalls one time when I was in the stroller at a grocery store and I wanted some candy I saw in the grocery aisle by the checkout counter. She says that she swore she put the candy away twenty times and somehow every time she turned around it was in my hand again. She finally ended up paying the cashier for it. She tried telling my father then, but he didn’t listen he thought she was just imagining it. I try to remember myself then, but it’s so hard even mom says I look completely different. She always tells me I was her blond baby boy with grey eyes. Fifteen years later in the present here I am brownish blond hair and hazel eyes I still don’t think mom got over it. My parents are both brunettes especially dad his looks near black. Mom is short, but all the guys here at camp have a huge crush on her and I don’t like it. Mom’s hair sits on her shoulders and she has the deepest ocean blue eyes you ever saw. Dad is basically who I am modeled after. He is tall, short brown hair and balding at the back. I hope I don’t go bald.

            The next time my abilities reared there ugly head was when I was in second grade. My teacher asked a question and I responded correctly. Unfortunately she asked another question and I responded correctly again. She leaned against the black chalkboard startled like she’d just seen a ghost. She asked to see me in the hall. I went out with her not thinking anything of it. She asked me what twelve times twelve was and I answered one hundred and forty-four. Her mouth dropped open. I asked her if I’d done anything wrong. She just told me to go back inside the classroom. She followed me and went straight to her cream colored desk that was the same in every classroom. She flipped through a book as I went back to my seat which was located in the middle third row second seat back. I was nestling myself as I heard a few boys in the corner saying I was in trouble. I was terrified because I didn’t know what I did. Next thing I know my teacher with her pined up red hair was using the phone near the door. Then she turned toward me and said the principal wanted to see me.

            I let my heart sink into my stomach. I wanted to throw up, but I refused to give the other boys in the class the satisfaction. I went to go out the door with the whole class staring at me the entire time. The teacher handed me a white slip and I walked through the door letting it shut on its own. I made my way through the halls of lockers and doors passing a few corridors and finally making my way to the principal’s office. I opened the door and the secretary saw me apparently she was expecting me because she just pointed toward the door. I looked to my right and saw two door the one on the left had a bronze plaque stating Principal and underneath Miller. I looked toward the door on the left and it had the same bronze plaque in the middle stated Vice Principal and underneath Sralink. I walked toward the left door and I knocked.

            An older gentleman opened the door. He looked older than my dad at the time. He had a grey hairs mixed in with his brown hair in his beard even though he looked recently shaven. He wore a dark grey suit to the point it looked kind of black with lint all over. He had glasses on with black frames and little circles in the middle of them. I wondered if he was near or farsighted, dad wore glasses for reading and I asked him before about them.

            He tipped his glasses like he was trying to adjust to me in front of him. “Ah Mr. Larkin please come in.”

            I didn’t say much I just followed him as he went inside the room. It was pretty spacious inside. I watched him go toward his brown desk and sit in a comfortable chair that looked like one of the ones dad uses for his business at the computer desk. The walls were completely white and there were a few pictures hanging around. Mostly they were his achievements in school. I didn’t know what many of them meant at the time. I did happen to see a picture of his family on the wall and desk. They looked really nice I remember thinking. In front of his desk were three dark blue chairs they looked like the kind you see in a doctors waiting room. I grabbed a seat anxious to see what was going to happen.

            “Sean may I call you Sean.” Mr. Miller asked glancing up at me while grabbing a pencil from a cup of them on the edge of his desk.

            I nodded he then grabbed a few pieces of paper and straightened them then laid them back on the table. I tried to strain to see what they said, but he had so many papers on his desk I couldn’t tell.

            “Sean could you tell me what started World War two?” He said taking his glasses off and putting them in front of his papers. Then picked up his pencil to write, but waited on my response.

            I had no idea why he would ask me such a question. How would I know who started World War two? Is this a trick question? Then the weirdest thing happened like in class. The answer just appeared in my head. I answered what my mind was screaming at him to let out. “It was the Germans. It was there hunger for territory. The final straw was the polish corridor causing the French and British to declare war.” I didn’t know anything about the words I just said, but then again my mind wouldn’t let me stop talking so I continued. “The war with the Japanese happened pretty much the same way they were taking over China for there resources. They got greedy over territory too.” When I stopped talking I felt like a huge weight lifted off my chest and my head went blank again. I was completely freaked out. I looked to Mr. Miller for assurance, anything.

            “That’s interesting.” He said and started writing on his paper.

            That’s interesting. That’s all I get. How did I know that? Was I right? I was starting to feel that I was a bug in a room full of scientists being put through experiment after experiment. I knew he was going to make me do something else.

            “Okay, I just have one more thing to ask of you. Repeat the numbers as I say them.”

            “Okay sounds easy enough.” I thought why not.

            “six four nine ten eleven twelve thirty-six”.

            I repeated exactly what he said. “six four nice ten eleven twelve thirty six twenty seven one hundred nine four nine two.” I finished and looked up at him. It was only after I shut up did I realize that he stopped earlier at thirty-six. I looked down in my horror as I tried to figure out where the numbers came from.

            “It’s okay we all get a little carried away.” He said giving me the assuring smile I needed earlier. “I do need to make a call to your parents so they can come to the school. You may wait outside.” He said waving me to the door.

            I got up, but before I opened the door I asked him what I’d done wrong and he assured me nothing. I went and sat in one of the chairs that were the same as Mr. Millers and waited for my parents to get there. I sat in fear the whole time. It wasn’t long before mom and dad strolled in. Mom had a worried look with her hair in a bun and dad had a ‘I better not been disturbed for nonsense’ look. As if on cue Mr. Miller’s door opened and we all went inside. As soon as I got inside though Mr. Miller told me he wanted to talk to my parents alone. I didn’t know what was going on, but I thought I did hear my dad yelling he was good at that. Next thing I know I’m being asked to go inside where I am asked two more random questions. This time it was mom asking me about chromosomes. I didn’t know what it was, but I answered her correctly because she looked just like my teacher and got up and put her hand to her chest. Then it was dads turn I turned to him and he did the random numbers thing again and I tried hard to stop when he did, but I couldn’t the numbers just kept popping up so I said them. Then I was told to leave the room again.

            When my parents emerged I could see my moms face and she is normally naturally tan like me. Instead when she walked out she looked completely pale. Dad looked red not like he was mad red it was something else I couldn’t place it. They came to get me by the chairs and I heard Mr. Miller saying they would be contacted tomorrow morning. I didn’t know what was going on only that mom grabbed my hand and we left school early that day. The whole car ride home was silent. For once mom didn’t have the radio on. I still was trying to figure out what I did wrong.

            Dad pulled up to our duplex apartment it was nice except the neighbors sometimes put on loud music at night making it hard to sleep. Mom always said we’d be moving soon as dad’s business picked up. He was trying to start this online bidding website over various items. Apparently he was still in the baby ages. Our duplex was nice despite the noise though. It had an upstairs and a downstairs. The downstairs was pretty simple you walk in and to your left was the living room and the stairs to the right. The living room was pretty good mom had cream colored carpet so she got nuts if you put shoes on it. Our couch was big and brown although looks can be deceiving because once you sit on it you sink right in. Then there was dads Lazyboy and it was great. It was remote controlled and I loved to lean all the way back until dad caught me and made me sit on the couch. Mom had a round glass table in front of the couch that had two white coasters on it. Mom also got nuts if you put a glass on her table without a coaster. If you keep going straight past the living room you would encounter our half bathroom, mom calls it that because it only has a sink and a toilet. I like it though because mom takes forever in the bathroom. Just a little bit past that on your left is our kitchen and dining room.. Our kitchen is pretty big so we got our table in there it’s against the back wall of the house though. The kitchen is pretty normal on the opposite side of the table is all counters except for where the fridge, stove, sink and dishwasher are, but it’s all connected. The counters are all a dingy white so mom hates it. The cabinets are white on the outside and brown on the inside, mom hates that too, but she deals we all do. Our table is a dark cherry wood with four wood chairs. Mom was excited she got to buy cushions for them and chose cream and red to go with the living room.

            The upstairs is pretty simple. Once you reach the top of the stairs the first door is my room. I was really into spiderman back then so I had a huge poster on the front of my door and the backside as can be seen once opened. My bedroom was all spiderman. I had a comforter set for my bed filled with the character. I had a little spider man rug in the center of my room. Surrounded by wood flooring it was the only comfort. It was right in front of my all white horizontal rectangular dresser. I never went in there though. Mom always picked out my clothes. Toward the left side of my room was my toy chest. I can still remember it was filled with many spider man toys as well as toy story figurines and other characters from television or the movies.

            I can’t really describe mom and dads room. I’ve only been in there a few times and those were times when there was a monster in my closet. I know what your thinking, but I was only eight at the time and like I said it was only a few times. I know mom has this huge dresser with a mirror connected to it because I’ve seen her spray perfume on her neck from the dresser. I know she has a walk in close because when we got this place, mom thought it was the best thing ever. I didn’t get it. There bed is much bigger than mine I believe mom said it was a King size, whatever that meant. They also had wood flooring. I could discuss the bathroom now, but I rather would not. I mean it’s a normal bathroom with one sink, a toilet and a tub with a shower. I mean how much more can I say. I was a kid then who cares.

            Anyway once inside our home mom immediately went into the kitchen to start dinner I thought. It was typical for her. Dad just sat in his lazyboy grabbed the silver remote turned the television on and started flipping through channels. There I was taken from school and now my parents were ignoring me. I was possibly the worst child in the history of children. Now I am the worst sorcerer in the history of sorcerers, but we’ll get to that all shortly. I went up the wooden stairs that squeaked to my bedroom and tried to go to my toy chest. As I flipped through my toys I realized I couldn’t focus enough to play. I sat on my bed for what seemed like hours and it was because mom called me for dinner.

            I went down the stairs and they squeaked some more. The television was still on and for the first time since forever dad had his plate of what looked like rice and was eating it there. I walked past him to the kitchen and saw mom with my bowl of rice. She sat it on the table and sprinkled some sugar and dropped a spoon in it. She sat a napkin down by me. She wasn’t looking at me very much and it made me sad.

            “Mom did I do something wrong”, I asked her wanting an explanation. Then the feeling like in Mr. Miller’s office happened again while I heard my mother say no. What actually popped in my head was Mr. Miller thinks I’m a sorcerer and I can read minds. “What’s a sorcerer?” I ask my mom because I didn’t know I’d just read what she thought.

            “Just eat your food and then go to bed!”  I didn’t expect for that to happen. She just yelled at me. My mom the quiet shy one just yelled at me. I grabbed my spoon and blew on my rice as I put it in my mouth. It was still really hot and I burned the roof of my throat a little, but I didn’t want to get yelled at again. When I was finished with my food it was only eight o’clock and I didn’t want to go to bed. I walked back down the hall to the living room where mom and dad were. I noticed two things that were out of place. Mom and dad had glasses on the table with no coasters and dads feet were on the table. I tried to edge my way around the wall so I could sit down and watch t.v. I wasn’t so lucky.

            “Goodnight Sean.” I heard my mother say. Whatever it was that Mr. Miller told her she was definitely spooked of me and I didn’t have any answers. I walked up the squeaky stairs and climbed into my spider man bed. I grabbed my spider man stuffed animal that was by my closet and put him in the bed with me. I closed my eyes and surprisingly I fell asleep.

            The next morning I was woken up suddenly. At first I thought it was time for school and yesterday would be forgotten. I saw my mom holding a suitcase and she was playing with my hair and her eyes were watery.

            “My baby, my blond baby”, she said visibly crying now. She still called me that even though she knew my hair was starting to grow brown. I think that’s the last time she called me the day I left to join the Sorcerers camp. “I cant”, she said and walked out of my bedroom. I followed her and realized there were three other people in my room. One of them was my dad who now looked like he’d seen a ghost. I wondered if I was becoming one.

            My dad leant down toward me still sitting on the bed. “You’re a very special boy”, he said also touching my hair. “This is Mr. Croix and Ms. Lenees they are going to take you to a camp with boys and girls just like you.” Mr. Croix looked young like dad maybe a little younger. He had blond hair the kind mom liked and blue eyes like her too except his were way lighter. He was dressed in a rock t-shirt and faded blue jeans and white sneakers. Ms. Lenees was pretty. She had long blond hair longer than moms by a few inches it drooped over her shoulders. She had freckles and green eyes. She was pretty, but I didn’t want to go with them.

            “I want to stay with you”, I pleaded holding on to my dad crying. I couldn’t believe he was giving me away.

            For the first time I thought I saw a tear escape my stone cold fathers eye. “You are going to the camp. Get up and get down stairs.” That sounded more like the father I was used to and I did as I was told. I cried the whole time I walked downstairs followed by Mr. Croix and Ms. Lenees. The dad got in front of us and opened the door. I put on my shoes and walked out. I felt that not only was I being given away I was being kicked out. I had done something in the principal’s office and my parents hated me for it. Mr. Croix led me to a bright red car and opened the backseat on the driver side he tried to buckle the door, but I made sure he knew I wasn’t a baby. I watched my father put my suitcase in the trunk of the car. He and Mr. Croix and Ms. Lenees had a talk I couldn’t hear for a few minutes then they got in the vehicle.

            Mr.Croix pulled out of our driveway and I turned around to look out the back window and I saw my father on his knees I couldn’t see his face though. I didn’t know  what to think.

            “Are you hungry?” I heard Ms. Lenees say and I looked up. “ Here you go heres a poptart.” She smiled a beautiful smile showing off her pearly white teeth.

            I took it hungrily. I hadn’t ate this morning as I was too busy being kicked out. To my surprise after I removed the foil wrapper it was strawberry, my favorite. It was the best thing to happen to me in two days. I looked out the window as we zipped past cars. I didn’t know how much time had passed it seemed like we were in the car for a long time. I must’ve passed out from boredom because next thing I know I’m being woken up.

            “Were here!” I heard Mr. Croix say excitedly. I looked up and was disappointed to be surrounded by a wooded forest. I gave him the stupidest look I could think of eight. He didn’t seem offended oh just wait. He stepped a few feet further into more woods and I followed. I wondered how I got this far and I think I was carried. I hate that and the thought made me mad. I kept my head down and then I noticed the strangest thing. On the ground their seemed to be a line drawn between emerald grass and the woods and I looked up and nearly fell back in amazement. I jumped back a few feet and looked forward and all I saw was the woods. I took a few steps forward and saw the Isle of Lembengrove. I know you want me to explain it, but that will come soon if I say no it will just have to be repeated.

            I was ushered into a huge facility by Mr. Croix and Ms. Lenees and was greeted by Mr. Miller. I didn’t return the greeting. He seemed to understand which only made me mad. I wanted him to feel sorry for what he’d done. He told me he’d take me to meet my roommate. On the way he explained to me what this place was. A place for people with extraordinary abilities and I didn’t believe him. He tried to convince me I could read minds, but I refused to participate in any more games. I told him I couldn’t do magic either. He seemed to take my answer, but when we got to my room. He tried something that changed my whole method of thinking.

            My room was pretty nice and pretty big. It was like the whole upstairs to myself even though I had a room mate. My room mate didn’t seem to be in at the time which was fine with me as I didn’t want any company. The room appeared split down the middle not by architecture, but design. The room on the right must be my roommates because the furniture was all different and state of the art design. I hoped it wasn’t a girl in my room. My side was simple white, walls, white floor, white couch, white tables, everything was plain and simple.

            Mr. Miller followed me in messing with his glasses pulling them on and off and on again. “How do you like your room? Is there anything you wish you could have in here?”

            Instinctively I answered not knowing it was his game. “My spiderman”, I was thinking I was missing my mom.

            “You know a sorcerer would conjure him. It’s a simple spell called Holus. If you really want your spider man, repeat after me.” I listened not sure if I would do what he asked or not. “Ala meios cha brea olean resides stuffed spider man.”

            It was simple enough and just so he would go away I repeated the sentence after him. I turned toward him to show him nothing happened. Then like someone had thrown him in my direction he was sliding across the white floor. My mouth dropped in awe. I looked over to my right to make sure it wasn’t a joke. As I said before my whole mind changed from then on and I believe in all magic.

            I would like to say that I have become a great sorcerer. The truth is I haven’t gotten very far. I know many spells that I can’t use. Sure I can move things around and I can sense a persons mind when they are talking to me or if I ask them something. I cant do other magic like levitation, making something explode, disappear, anything I would do if I could and I can’t do anything. That’s why I refer to this gift as my curse because what good is being special if you can’t be special.

            Today is parents day at the institute of Sorcerers. I look around and the picnic tables are all filled with many families around. I notice that everyone is showing off their new skills to their parents and I don’t have nothing to show to mine. They are just making small talk. Mom is going on and on about some random celebrities wedding. Dad is going on about how his business is starting to pick. He told me the genius name U-Bid. I always laugh at that. Mom says they are going to move pretty soon and dad smiles and I’m happy that for them its finally happening. Dad notices that I’m a little ticked off.

            “Don’t worry my boy”, your magic will come around. I know your probably wondering when they came around. It was actually a year after I got here. There first visiting day they got to see all the gifted people and my Holus spell. Instead of running off they told me they were proud of me.

            “It’s not going to come around. I am so sick of the institute.” I raised my voice to him. I was angry. No one understands what it’s like to be surrounded by kids older and younger than you who are mastering magic and I can’t get a single tiny rock to float. I didn’t realize that the crowd had quieted to listen to my rant though. “I am done with the institute.”

            “Why?” My father said standing up from the table. “Don’t give up.” He tried to tell me, but I walked up.

            “Why?” I looked at him like he’d missed the last nine years of my life. “I can do a stupid rock throwing. We are told that possibly enemies would attack us we need to be able to defend ourselves.” I kicked dirt and saw a fist sized rock lying there. The crowd had gotten up from their seats too wanting a view of the argument.

            “You have to keep trying.” My father said staring at the rock I had just dug up with my shoe. “Do the spell Sean!” He said it in that demanding voice I feel like I have to obey. I looked around and noticed the crowd and some nodding faces. Here I was going to have to face embarrassment for the hundredth since arriving to the institute.

            Without thinking the words came into my head. “Asa leve trar mea suo fly”. I was beyond shocked when the rock took off and I looked out over the distance. I was shocked when I saw the prettiest girl I’d ever seen in my life. She looked a little taller than mom and had a caramel complexion. I could see from the short distance across the field she had hair down to her elbows. She wore red tinted sun glasses and she had a white tank top and ground length flowing red skirt. She was staring at me and the rock, but she was too shocked to move. Oh crap, I thought, she saw me. Wait a minute, I didn’t recognize her. How did she get pass the barrier? No time for questions though she was about to be toast.

            I heard Mr. Miller shout something from behind me. I was pretty sure he said combust, but the rock wouldn’t budge. I ran after it I don’t know if I expected to catch it or what. I just ran.

            “Mr. Larkin stop it hurry.”

            I didn’t know what to say.  “Are lre rea ete mea suo stop.” I yelled. I was surprised when the rock did stop. For the first time since I been here I performed magic. I had full control.  

            The beautiful girl took off her glasses and I could see her bright brown eyes underneath and she looked shocked. She opened her mouth to say something. I don’t what it was I sensed I knew her. There was something strong in between us and I didn’t know what it was. “You are so beautiful”, I say to her. There was a force I didn’t recognize between us and it caused me to undo her pin from her hair. She shook her hair and let it fall around her. It was beautiful like her. Then I did the craziest thing I have ever done in ages. I kissed her. It wasn’t a peck on her check. I mean I went open mouth and she did too. I closed my mind and felt the sensation it was stronger the more we kissed. It felt like for the first time everything in the world was perfect. Then it all went away.

            I was forced to open my eyes when I felt Mr. Miller grab me and push me down and Mrs. Lenees grabbed a hold to the girl. The girl finally opened her eyes hazily at Mrs. Lenees and then she passed out Luckily Mr. Alexei was there to swoop her up into his arms. I laid on the ground with everyone looking at me as though I had done the worst thing possible to man kind. Then I experienced the most mind splitting headache. I started screaming at the top of my lungs and Mr. Miller grabbed me and that’s all I remember.

 

 

Isabel’s POV

 

            My life has been one big disappointment for several years now. I am not able to confess that to anyone else. One big reason is because my dad is kind of a big shot. He is CEO of this huge company called Osiris. The company basically buys up land and then hires sub contractors to build things for them. They build anything from houses, apartment buildings, parking lots, businesses and parks. If they are given the right amount of money they will build anything anywhere. My father is not above building over a grave site. He has done this and I think it’s absurd. A few years ago when I was just a kid my father brought an old cemetery that hadn’t been used in over fifty years and moved the tombstones to another lot and then built an upscale housing community on top of all the graves. I bet those people don’t know they sleep on dead people.

            Anyway my whole point was that my family has a boat load of cash and by family I mean daddy. Mom doesn’t work as far as I can remember she never worked a day. She stays at home day in and day out taking care of me and my newly arrived siblings. I had been an only child until a year ago. Since then mom and dad have completely ignored me when the twins came last November. Don’t get me wrong it’s not that I am neglected, far from it actually. I am very fortunate in so many ways.

            First off I got my first car at fourteen even though I couldn’t drive it and my second at sixteen. I know nothing of cars, but all my friends freaked out at my fourteenth birthday when dad took us outside to give me silver Maybach sixty-two. For my sixteenth birthday I got a black and yellow Lamborghini, it was okay. I think my friends were more excited than I was. Second I get to keep money. I have about four different credit cards plus a bank card that daddy is always filling money up with. That has to be my favorite part a girl can never have enough clothes, but I pay my bills on time though with daddy’s money of course.

            If my parents even saw me once they would know that I would rather spend time with them than in any car. I like clothes, but I only buy them when I’m upset or sad which is all the time now. My parents and I used to have the greatest relationship when I was younger and now it seems they don’t even know I’m in the room. I guess I don’t remember when they checked out. I will have to take you to the beginning. To let you know about me I have to introduce you to them.

            I remember when I was a little girl. I remember being the apple of my parent’s eyes. I remembered my mothers brown eyes and round face. She was a plump woman back then. She was a brunette with short curls surrounding her face. I remember her playing games with me. It brings a smile to me even now thinking about it. She would always make up some sort of game we could play just me and her. We would read, play board games, watch movies, listen to music, dance, and laugh until we couldn’t no more. Then she would teach me recipes to cook and make desert. Dad would come home late at night to a meal that we’d cooked together. I had gotten more of dads complexion after birth. He skin tone was darker brown while mine was caramel and he was completely bald. I felt it back then and it was all smooth. He would know I helped because he always picked me up and held me close to him telling me what a great job I did. Then we would all watch a movie and laugh and play a game. When it was time for bed both mom and dad would come in my room and wish me goodnight sometimes mom would even sing.

            Then dad got promoted and he was starting to make the ‘big bucks’ as mom called it. I got enrolled in private school where I had to wear the same uniform everyday which I hated. Have these people ever heard of independence? The uniform was a white buttoned down shirt and either khaki pants or khaki skirt. The only thing you could put over the white buttoned down shirt was a red sweater. The kids were okay, but it was hard being biracial and yet still be brown skinned. Many idiots thought I was lying to fig in. Did I say I hate this school? Well when I would come home from hell I would be stuck with the nanny. Dad had been coming home less frequently and mom was always gone. She was either out shopping or at the gym. Mom suddenly got an epiphany and was working out and eating less. It was working for her though she lost a lot of weight.

            Mom used to be round all over. By my fourteenth birthday she was physically fit. Mom never really had any curves to speak of, but now her stomach was flat and you couldn’t tell she once was fat. She let her brown hair grow and now her curls bounced off her shoulders. Poor mom she was starting to get wrinkles under her eyes. She had been stressing out a lot and I know a lot of it had to do with dad. He was still not coming home very often and I overheard mom on the phone saying that he was cheating on her. Mom had decided to confront him after I went to bed. There bedroom is right across from mine so I heard the whole thing.

            I did successfully fall asleep then I was awoken by a loud bam from a door being slam. Then I heard them.

            “Who is she?” I heard my mom demand. I rolled over in my bed to look at my white door as though I could see what was happening.

            “There is no she.” My father responded.

            “You LIAR.” My mother screamed. I am pretty sure I heard sobs in her voice I couldn’t’ be sure. Was my father cheating on my mother?

            “Dina, you’re going to wake up Bel.” Bel was my father’s nickname for me. Too late dad I’m already awake. I whispered to myself.

            “You come in here at all hours of the night and you tell me there is no woman. I know you’re not at work so don’t lie to me.” I heard my mother demand as I heard her heavy footsteps walk across my bedroom door. I waited for my father’s response for him to defend himself.

            “I told you the truth.” I heard him say and it brought a smile to my face. “If you don’t believe then I’m out of here.” I heard the door open and before my other could say something I got up from my pink comforter and opened my door. I saw my mom standing in the hall wearing her red nightgown and looking surprised I was up. I didn’t pay attention to her I ran straight down our steps.

            “Daddy, don’t go.” I yelled after him. I think I surprised him too. He shut the door and stayed inside.

            “Okay Bel”, he told me and kissed my forehead. Then he led me back up to my bedroom and told me to go to sleep. I closed my eyes and pretended I had drifted off which was awhile considering he didn’t leave my room for a little while. After he left I noticed he went back into the room with my mom. “I didn’t cheat on you.” I heard him say muffled through my door. “I love you. You are my life.” I hoped mom would forgive him now.

            And she did. “I love you too”, she said.

            Yes. I thought and then turned over and went to sleep. It was a good thing mom and dad made up then because a few months after my fifteenth birthday I found out I was going to be a sister. I have literally never seen my parents so excited about anything every. I didn’t mind the idea of having a new sister or brother. We all went to every appointment with mom. It seemed like things were getting back to normal like they were when I was younger. Then we found out we were having twins. It was the coolest thing we all hoped for a boy and a girl. Mom and I had shopping covered. We brought everything from bottles to diapers to booties. I helped dad set up the crib. I decided the babies room would be next to mine so I could run over it’s not that far from mom and dads, but I could make it there first. I even got to design the room once we found out the sex.

            I found out I was to be over run by boys. It’s okay I thought I’m up for the challenge of teaching boys. Dad’s name is James so we all decided baby A would be named James and baby B would be named Jeremiah. The baby’s decided to come two days before my sixteenth birthday. I got to be in the delivery room with mom. She wanted to deliver the babies naturally, but nature had other plans and mom ended up getting a C-section. My sixteenth birthday got spent in a hospital room. Although dad ended up getting me a car since I didn’t have a party. Once we got the babies home mom was a total hog. I guess that is to be is expected after a woman gives birth.

            Then as the weeks went by mom never stopped being a hog. Dad went back to work and when he wasn’t he spent all his other time with the babies. No one asked me about school or anything. I was expected to completely fend for myself. I would hang out with the babies just to talk to mom or dad, but in the end the mid conversation were talking about the babies. After that I just learned not to say much. I stopped speaking to my parents for some time now and they haven’t even noticed. Dad drops money in my account and mom only greets me in the morning.

            I started doing mischief to get attention. I know it is childish, but hey I’m only sixteen and yes I do know better. I still did it anyway. It didn’t help I couldn’t tell you how many grocery chains I’ve been through and stolen from and they never catch me and I did it in front of other customers. I once got caught spray painting a building. I gave it a peace sign big deal. The owner caught me and held me until the police got there. My dad was called and I was sure I was going to get into trouble. I didn’t dad picked me up and we went home. He went to doing his business as usual. He paid the owner some money and that was the end of it.

            Then I went to doing even bigger stuff. I started drinking alcohol. I would get drunk just about every night. Some days I can’t even remember what occurred the night before. It is scary when you think about it. Did my parents notice? Nope. I started smoking. I left several cigarettes around the house and even though my parents don’t smoke. My cigarette end up missing which means they keep throwing them away instead of saying a word to me.

            Since that didn’t work I stopped coming home altogether. I would check in every few days, but neither of my parents would act like I am gone. That brings me to today. This morning I did a usual check-in after staying a week at a friend’s house. As usual my parents didn’t act like I was there. Well mom didn’t dad was at work like usual. The twins are only a few months old now so they still need a lot of attention. The twins have a combination of mom and dads skin tone with mom’s curly hair. I handed James to her after picking him up to give him kisses on his forehead. She barely looked up to see me there. My friend called and said people were going to the forest to protest the cutting of the trees and asked if I would join. Hell Yes I said. Did I mention my father’s company is the one wanting to destroy the forest? All the more reason to protest just to see if he notices I’m there.

            I climbed up the spiral carpeted stairs passing all the photos my mother had lined up on the wall. Oh look, a few of me a dozen of the babies. I sighed and took a left toward the last room to check on Jeremiah. I had done a great job designing. The room was about as big as the rest. The two cribs were separated one by each wall so they were directly across from each other. And in the middle of the room were two rocking chairs so mom and dad could sit with both babies and rock them while talking to each other. We bought block letters and painted them and hung them on the wall so there names appeared above the cribs. The ceiling was the sky all different blues and whites mixed in to create the clouds and a huge sun on the back wall that appeared around the window. Dad and I painted across the walls a huge rainbow that stretched from one end to the other diagonally. Dad wanted a pot of gold on the end, but mom told him not to.  

            The crib on the left was Jeremiah’s. I gently walked in with my black flip flops, jeans, and white black halter on and peak in at him. His eyes were closed and he appeared still causing me to worry for a moment, but then I seen his little belly rise again. I reached over and picked him up and held him in my arms. He moved a bit then settled in close laying his head by my rib cage. Mom said it reminded them of the womb. I sat down in the rocking chair and let it sway back and forth a little staring at him. I told him how much of a horrible sister I was that I was jealous of him and James. I told him to forgive me for the past, the present and the future. He never even stirred during my talking he just laid there sleeping comfortable. I moved forward to stop the chair from rocking and gave his forehead a little kiss and then I rose to put him back in his crib.

            “I love you”, I said as I laid him down.

            I then went back out onto the hall. A little further down was my room. Mom and dad’s room was on the other side of the hall. I walked into my room and it was apparent that my parents didn’t know I was gone. My room hadn’t been touched. I still had a pink comforter although this one had white edges from my princess bed. In front of my bed a few feet I had a red suede love seat and a flatscreen television hooked up to my wall. To the right was my cherry wood desk with my computer on it and books on the other side. Then to the left was my white dresser with a three section mirror on it. My dresser was completely covered with everything from hair accessories to deodorant to eyeliner. I went over to my closet which was a little by my t.v. and went inside. I had a clothing rack on three sides of the walls. I tossed through my jeans and dresses and suddenly didn’t really feel like dressing up. I was about to pick out my grey jogging suits and an old shirt because we were going out to the woods. Then I realized that it was Rick who called me which meant he was coming.

            Rick is my on again off again boyfriend. Rick is six foot two. He has long blond curly hair that hangs on his shoulers. He’s got the cutest baby blues you’d ever see. His body is amazing that guy works out all the time. It is evident when you see him with his shirt off and notice he’s got an eight pack, seriously. Oh and a really cute butt. What? He’s a swimmer, I can see.  We started dating when I was like thirteen and he was seventeen. I was completely in love with him after we met at a friends party. I thought he would think that I was too young, but he didn’t. He asked me out my friends were so jealous. Lately though rumor has it Rick is dating someone else. So if I want him back I’m going to have to fight for him and I will. The only problem me and Rick ever had was sex. He was an older guy and he didn’t really approach the topic until a year ago on my fifteenth birthday. He took me for a ride in my new car and we ended up at his place. He was ready to go full speed a head and all I could think of was to pull the emergency brake. I wasn’t ready then, but I think I am ready now. I am ready now.

            I decided since I would have to win him over I needed something cute and sexy not sluttish. I went for a white tank top with thick straps that had a pretty decent front cut exposing cleavage, but not too much. Then I picked out a red skirt mom got for me a few months ago at a sale at Marx. It was a floor length skirt that had ruffles on the end. I liked it because I could literally spin in a circle and it would rise and spin too. In my opinion the skirt was very flirty, not the rising part at least not in public. I glanced down at the clock on my nightstand beside my bed and realized that it was one thirty. Oh crap I hurried up and ran into the bathroom; Rick would be here any minute.

            My bathroom was pretty nice considering it was half the size of my parents. We had a total of three bathrooms in this huge house. My bathroom had a his and hers sink. Don’t ask me why. The sink was all white with crystal handles. The mirror in here put the one on my dresser to shame it was massive covering half a section of the wall to fit the sink station. I went directly over to my shower and reached in and turned the handle it was the same as the sinks. I felt the water to a quick small burst and then settled into a steady flow. It was freezing at first so I adjusted it by turning it more the right and a few moments it got really warm. I took off my clothes leaving them on the floor and jumped right in. Grabbed my sponge and squirted the soap in and took quite possibly the quickest shower of my life. All the while thinking Rick is going to be pissed if I leave him waiting.

            Finally I turned off the water. Damn. I just remembered as I’m soaking wet I didn’t grab a towel from the linen closet. Oh well, I brave the breeze as I exit from my shower onto the cold tile at my feet and rushed over passed the toilet and sink to open the closet and grab a towel. I half dried myself considering how quickly I had done it. I slipped on my clothes and then went in front of my mirror. It was half smoggy because of the hot water so I had to grab a dry towel and wipe it some. It only did half the work so I opened the door to let the breeze in.

            I stared in the mirror for a few moments trying to figure out what to do with my hair. Up or down. Up or down. I decided since I was going for flirty I would do a mix with my hair. My hair was still wet getting my shirt a little wet making me wish I had cut it to my shoulders, but no it hung by my breast. It was brown almost like a mix of mom and dads if he had hair. I ran into my room and grabbed a few pins, comb and a brush. I parted a few strips of hair out on both sides of my face so I’d have bangs even though they stretched the length of my face. I then used my comb to swoop up about half the hair on my sides and in the front and pined it back and let it hang. I then combed the rest back making sure to pull some hair over my shoulders. I was ready to go for my eyeliner when I heard my phones techno ringtone.

            I rushed over to my phone that was lying on the bed and flipped it open.

            “I’m about to pull up”, I heard Rick say. He’s got the sexiest deep voice I’ve ever heard.

            “Okay I’m grabbing my shoes now and I’ll be done.” I say while going back to my closet and tossing through shoes.

            “Okay see ya when you got done.” Rick said he didn’t sound enthrused that I wasn’t ready.

            “I’m on my way.” I said grabbed some white with red lining flip flops. Then I heard him hang up.

            I rushed over to pick up my purse and I realized I had my blue jean one. I ran back to my closet and grabbed my gold one. As I was putting my stuff inside I noticed my red glasses. That’s where they went. I put them on it went perfect with my outfit. I walked down the hall and down the stairs. I passed  by my mom talking to James. I didn’t say bye and she didn’t either. I opened my door and gave Rick a nice wave. He was sitting in his black SUV looking very sexy with some sunglasses on. I couldn’t wait for a chance for us to talk.

            I climbed in passenger side of his vehicle. I immediately noticed my plans were ruined. He had two other people in the backseat. Although I felt lucky he didn’t put me back there. It was his two best friends he always was with. Timothy sat behind the passenger side he had on his ten year old dreadlocks and save the earth t-shirt. Then there was Michael he was about my age. He is Rick’s younger twin looking idiotic brother. I mean that in the nicest way the guy is a straight up daredevil. He has escaped death doing the stupidest stunts I wonder when his time is coming.

            “Hey”, I say as I slide into the vehicle.

            “Hey”, they all say at once. Rick’s blond hair was looking beautiful in the sunlight. He was also wearing a green shirt when the earth on it and huge black letters saying it is up to us with regular blue jeans. He could make anything look sexy though. I shut the door and Rick starts driving. “You’re wearing that to the woods”, Rick says giving me a weird look.

            I suddenly hate my clothing choice. I wish I could go in and change, but now he is already down the street. “It’s not like were going hiking.” I say looking at him.

            “Okay”, he says turning down Main st.

            I start to say something then I was cut off by Timothy going in about the protest. From then on in I didn’t say a word it was only the three guys talking. No one even tried to include me in the conversation. I turned my head and stared out into the openness. Taking in the scenery of passing cars, the old bakery, and the hospital before Rick took the eleven exit to get on the highway. He turned on the radio and I was relieved. A few songs passed by and none of them were worthy so I sat slouched in my seat as the boys rambled on and on about what they would do if the police tried to break up the protest. I suddenly sat up in my seat as P***y Cat Doll’s ‘buttons” song was on.

            “Can you turn that up?” I ask looking at Rick. I didn’t want to touch it on my own.

            Rick was in the middle of talking about taking a taser with Michael when I interrupted him. He gave me another weird look, but instead of saying anything he just turned up the radio.

            I got the feeling he wasn’t happy with me. He kept glancing at me while I lip synched the song. I didn’t do it on purpose, but our eyes met as I sang the chorus of the song. If you hadn’t heard it the chorus goes like this ‘I’m telling you to loosen up my buttons babe, but you keep frontin, saying what you gone do to me, but I ain’t seen nothing.’ It made him tilt his eyebrows at me. I immediately turned away to look back out my window. For a moment I was embarrassed then I felt sweet satisfaction.

            Then I saw the numerous cars and news crews vehicles and I knew we had arrived. People were already out with huge signs marching in circles in front of the the forest. I tried looking for my dad, but I couldn’t find him. He would show up sooner or later I knew. Timothy and Michael were the first ones out they went to the back of the SUV and opened it and I saw they had made signs. Rick and I got out and followed them back there. They had about ten signs altogether. I flipped through them and they all pretty much consisted of save the earth and natural animal habitats.

            I didn’t have a chance to pick a sign because my dreams came true.

            “Come walk with me for a minute”, Rick whispered in my ear.

            I didn’t say anything I let him take my hand and he doesn’t speak as he leads me away from all the people. We go into the woods and suddenly get the feeling why he asked why I wore what I wore. My flip flops were no match for broken branches. I was with Rick though I would brave it all. At one point in time he ran off.  We walked a good distance in because I couldn’t hear any of the people anymore. Then he ran off and I couldn’t find him then I saw him again. It was a clearing of the forest. Then all of a sudden he was right in front of me. I open my mouth to say something, but then he spoke.

            “You are so beautiful”, he said staring at me in a look I’ve never seen before. It gives me butterflies and I just smile and look down. He can make a girl weak in her knees. He pushed my bangs back and undid the pin from my hair and let it fall to the ground. I give my hair a little shake to make sure he gets everything he’s looking at. Then without warning he kissed me. Rick kissed me. I closed my eyes and kissed him back. I let my tongue play with his as our lips remained locked. I don’t know what came over me. We shared a deep long kiss and it seemed right. I felt something I’ve never felt before. It was like feeling the earth move in alignment. It was like the forces of nature: the air, the trees, the sun were all at our beck and call.

            It was so perfect everything was. Then something stranger happened. I started to hear voices I couldn’t recognize. I felt my weight being taken. I felt smaller and weaker. I remember wanting to pull away from him and having no strength to do so. Then I felt hands tear us apart and part of me wanted to rush back in his arms. Then I opened my eyes and I looked out to Rick. Only to realize Rick was not the guy in front of me. I looked around and I didn’t see him. I still felt faint, but I took a look at the man I just shared the most passionate kiss with. He was definitely not Rick. He had short brownish blond hair and brown eyes. There were people all around us. Where did they come from? It was all too much at once and I couldn’t support my own weight any longer. I tried to stay alert, but it all went black.



© 2011 JEH


Author's Note

JEH
As always beware of grammatical errors.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
Added on June 24, 2011
Last Updated on June 24, 2011


Author

JEH
JEH

MI



About
I am writing several books. I hope to publish one soon. more..

Writing