The beginning (again subject to change, I haven't really thought about a title for this)

The beginning (again subject to change, I haven't really thought about a title for this)

A Chapter by JEH
"

A scroll is stolen from King Alexandre. He exacts revenge leading to his scroll falling in the hands of an enemy.

"

Maleia: Maleio

 

He walked along the long corridor it was vast and wide. He was an older black man around his late middle ages, he was the Kings advisor. The hallway was a white color with a gold trim around each edge. The king was known for his blatant show of money. The man picked up his speed as he tried to go as fast as he could without drawing attention to himself. His heart was beating so fast and he could barely contain the sweat balls that were accumulating on his forehead. He kept a scroll hidden in his black jacket. In each hall he past there were about ten guards walking around, he kept praying to himself to make it home he had to warn his family. He kept thinking he had to keep them safe he knew they wouldn’t understand, but he had to go on a mission to save a King. He had to save a new King the rightful heir to this throne and he had to dethrone this King. His long lost mission was now almost complete. He approached the doors, but they were guarded by two heavily armed guards with swords at their sides, they appeared as vicious as they would have if he’d seen them in battle that day. The doors themselves were massive at least about ten feet high. They too had the gold trim on the edge of the doors.

            “State your business”, the guard to the left said his left hand blocking the way. “On official business of the King, I have to hurry now or the King will have my head”, he kept his voice low and firm but inside he was shaking to his core. The guards looked to each other before lifting the hatch that opened the door. The man walked slowly down the huge steps until he was sure the doors had closed then he ran towards the stables grabbed his horse and fled with everything in his body.

 

Maleia: Donyer

 

At first he decided to flee to Donyer because he couldn’t be sure that the king wasn’t following him and he had to get the scroll safely away. He arrived at the shipping port and was nearly ready to board a ship for Mecea when he had a second thought. He thought about his family being home so he decided that the boat would have to wait. “On or off”, the man who appeared to be captain, by the hat he wore, said. The man just turned around clicked his hips toward his horse so that the horse knew it was time to run. First he knew that time was already wasted and his only hope would be to hide the scroll with a friend. He had a little while to go get to his home which was in the next town over and before he went there he had to make sure the scroll would be safe. He stopped at a friend’s house that he could trust. He asked the man to keep it safe for him, that he would return for it. The man could see the urgency in his eyes and never asked questions and took the scroll and agreed to keep it safe until the man would return. The man got back on his horse and kept going until he reached his home. He was shocked and happy to see that no one had beaten him there. He jumped off his horse and ran inside to warn his family.

 

Maleia: Syceria

 

            He opened his door and found the familiar sight and smell nearly melted away all the nerves he had. He felt himself rush over to the log couch he had built himself and had put in enough straw to make it comfortable after a long days work. The wooden floor he could see was still damp from having been recently cleaned. He eyes rose to the table set across from the couch. He closed his eyes and envisioned when he built the table and chairs with his bare hands. He cut all the wood himself and shaped them all up; every one piece by piece, with his own knife and now he was going to have to leave it all.

            He wanted to stay he felt safe, but he had to warn them, they had to go, time was short. He rose up from the couch and went toward the stairs that were diagonally located to his left and went up to wake his wife. The stairs he noticed were still holding up steady he’d only had to replace a few of the pieces of wood with brand new ones. He passed his daughters bedroom on the left and went to his bedroom on the right where his wife was. He slowed to let his right hand feel the wood on the walls and again envisioned all the work he put into building his families home. He opened the door he had sculpted into a beautiful arch door because his wife desired it. The door even had their last name placed on it in a very decorative way it showed iHp.

            Inside the room he could see the wood floor too was cleaned and smiled as his wife was always very thorough with getting the job done. He looked over toward his desk and thought for a moment to gather his things, but thought that would take to much time. He walked over the left side of his wife’s bed and gently rested a hand on her brown shoulder and moved a bit. He almost didn’t want to wake her seeing how snug she looked in the white cover she had pulled up to her shoulder blades. After another gentle move she opened her light brown eyes and was immediately startled but from the look in his black eyes she didn’t question him she arose swiftly and knew what she had to do. He had told her a day like this would come she just didn’t believe the day would come so soon.

            His wife got out of bed with her hair still in a bun and she went over to their dresser beside his desk and started undressing. He thought he heard a noise and then it was silent. He thought to look out of the window above the bed, but he figured it was all in his mind. He figured no one would’ve known about the scroll he took this soon. He decided to go to his daughters room as he didn’t want her anywhere near the mess he got himself into. His daughter was going to play a very important role that even he wished she didn’t have to do.

            He walked out of the room and into the hallway and opened her door on the right. He walked very slowly to her bed which was located directly across from the door. He was sorry to have involved her in all this, but he knew that it was better she knew who she was than to have someone kill her and she wouldn’t know why. His daughter was also sleeping silently if it hadn’t been for the rise and fall of the red sheet covering her chest he might’ve been worried. Her brown hair spread out all over the top of the bed with a few strands resting across her face. She was still a young girl although she was eligible for marriage. He had no plans of letting that happen anytime soon. Men have tried and he kept them at bay. He approached her bed and awoke her but as soon as her eyes opened a flaming arrow came through her room. She heard her mothers scream she arose quickly from the bed. “Mom”, she screamed at the sight. Her mother was dead the fire still lit in the chest of her small frame. She couldn’t stay to grieve, her father grabbed her by the arm, the fire was spreading so fast. She could see it climbing the walls and when he pulled her outside the back part of the upstairs where the bathroom was covered was all engulfed in flames.

            She started choking as the smoke was getting unbearable to breathe. Her father just pulled her further even as the both of them struggled and slipped down the stairs. Her father since he was in front kind of went head first toward the ground. When he fell his legs kicked toward her and caused her to fall forward, but his other foot guarded her left foot so when she fell her ankle twisted. Her left ankle was in pain and she wanted to sit and cry. Instead her father rose up and she could see the gash of blood on his head above his left eye-just picked her up and dragged her towards the door because the fire started approaching the stairs and coming right for them. He dragged her right outside and as soon as they reached the door to escape the blaze the guards grabbed each of them and flew them to the ground outside away from the fire. She raised her head to see a dozen or so soldiers on black horses fully armed with swords aimed at them. One man with a white horse rode forward and got off of his horse.

 “Where is it”, he aimed the sword at her father.

 “Did you think I would not realize it was missing? Did you think I didn’t know you had taken it?” He was angry she could see the hatred in his beautiful brown eyes. Her father had blood mixed with tears flowing down his dark brown cheeks his head hung low but he still would not say a word.

 “Tell me”, the man said angrily aiming the sword at his throat but still her father would not speak.

“Kill her”, the man said adjusting the reins to turn the horse toward the young teen. A man with dark skin and cold eyes steadied his bow and released the arrow. Just then her father leaped in front of her to take the arrow for his child. Her eyes widened she was still in shock of seeing her mother die. She reached out her arms just as her father fell back into them.

“Dad-no, please don’t leave me”, she cried as the weight of him forced her to use all her weight to hold her up.

“I am so sorry” he whispered to her. “Everything I did I was trying to protect you”, she cried as the light in his eyes faded. She was in so much disbelief she didn’t see the man with white horse coming toward them. The man grabbed him from her grasp and shook him and threw him to the ground and began kicking him.

“Let go of my father you animal”, she screamed through her tears while rising from the ground, who was he to do this she thought. Her father was dead but he didn’t deserve to be pummeled.

“Animal, I am the King of Maleia, I will do what I please”, the King stated while the young girl dropped to her knees in disbelief. He turned away in frustration he needed the scroll.

“Sire”, one of the guards asked. “What are we to do with her”, he said looking at the young girl hoping to keep her himself. She looked very desirable to him in the moment. Her long wavy brown hair was sticking to her skin perfectly and she was only wearing her floor length white night gown. It didn’t do her body justice, but the fact that it revealed room inside her dress made his mouth drool. The king turned around to face them.

 “What is your name girl?”

“Nadia”, she said standing up to face him. King or not she wasn’t going to cower like a little girl.

“Take her back to the castle I’ll figure out what to do with her then”, the King stated thinking she may be useful later on.

 

 

 

 

Maleia: Nodmez

 

            It had been a few weeks since the man said he would return for the scroll and still it sat in his secret compartment. The scroll remained in the desk waiting for his friend to return he was tempted to check the scroll but knew it was best not to. The scroll was safely hidden where no one would find it. He suspected if anyone came looking for it they would never find it. He was a failed writer and his entire little shop was filled with pieces of writing he had written or writings he’d collected from others. There were tons of shelves someone would have to go through to be able to tell if the scroll was in his possession or not. Today was a quiet one at his little shop then again all days were like this. He only had one customer who always came in and took the pleasure in reading the unfinished work. Like clockwork that one customer was in today. He was sitting where he always sat the table that was by the window that gave the best view of the sun. The man felt he could talk to him freely so he decided to ask a favor.

            “Excuse me Sharif (Sha-reef)”, his light skin and grey eyes arose to meet the man the man’s.

            “Yes. Drerry (Dri-re)”, he said. His voice shook as he began to speak Sharif couldn’t tell if it was worry or old age.

            “I wondered if you would do me a favor. See I am an old man and it would take me days to make a journey. I am worried about a friend who I haven’t spoken to in awhile. It is unlike him to not come by. Would you mind traveling to the next village and sending him a message for me?” The man asked the last question in a way that made it seem like he meant to ask another one.

            Sharif arose to his feet to face the man face to face.

 “Which village would that be Ereyci (Eur-e-ce) to the East or Maleio (Mal-e-o) to the West or.” “

            Sharif, my boy the village of Syceria (Sigh-sear-a) is where my friend is. His name is Mokei (Mo-Ki)”.

             “Oh okay I go there sometimes it is only a little ways. I will find your friend.” Drerry had hoped the man would agree so he had prepared a map in advance. Drerry gave the man the map to his friends home and a message to give his friend should he meet him.

            The next day Sharif woke up with just as the sun began to rise. He had been doing some work for a man in Nodmez so he was allowed to sleep in the servants section which was outside in the far right corner of the field. He wasn’t the first to awake since the two house servants were already up and gone to the house to get breakfast ready for the master of the house. Sharif went to the lavatory to wash himself up. The room was nothing special it only had a two bowls and a hole in the ground. One bowl was located left of the door reached up to his knees and was for washing. The other bowl sitting next to the hole in the ground was for washing to help with the sewage. Sharif walked directly to the bowl to his left and from what he could tell the big round bowl seemed full of clear water. He used a bit so he could wash himself off. Then he went back to his bed which was located right in front of the door and grabbed his belongings. He only had another outfit with him and some bread to eat along with a few apples. All the items he decided to put in his brown satchel and hung it just off his shoulder.

            The only thing left for him to do was get his pay from the owner of the house. This was his last day of work he had finished plowing the field between the home and barn, where the seeds could be planted. He had also rebuilt the entire fence that encased the yard. Sharif walked out of the door and headed directly across to the barn to retrieve his horse. There were a few other horses in the barn as well as some chickens and pigs. They all made noises and the whole place stunk very badly. He tried not to breathe and watched his step as there was wet straw hay laying just about everywhere. He wasn’t sure if it was water or something else. He found his horse near the back right of the barn and it seemed as though his horse recognized him or at least his touch because it came forward. “That’s a good boy.” Sharif said as his horse moved its head up and down as Sharif’s hand rubbed it. Sharif opened up the cage that his horse was in and grabbed the reins and led him outside of the barn. He walked the horse over to the dirt path that he himself had to redo. Then he tied him up by a rail near the owner’s stagecoach. Sharif walked a little ways back up the house. He knocked on the door and waited silently to see if he could hear noise.

            He wasn’t sure if he could hear any noise so he raised his left hand to a fist and was about to press it towards the door when he heard footsteps. A young girl opened the door with pale skin and green eyes she was wearing a white apron and a white hair net that was covering her hair. “May I help you”, she said softly while opening her big green eyes even wider and almost making Sharif forget what he meant to say.

             “Yes. I’m here to see Mr. Olendar.”

            The young girl glanced behind her. “Wait here a moment Mr. Ells.” The young girl left Sharif standing in the doorway with the door open and headed for a door located at the back of the house. The house was pretty nice considering some of the shacks that were nearby. Just beyond the doorway Sharif could see the glossy brown staircase that led to the second floor. He could see the marble flooring that was usually only supposed to be used the castle. He look in envy at the house because he himself had never been accustomed to the better thing in life. He noticed the servant coming out of the room closing the door behind her.

            “Mr. Ellis”, she said her voice sounded so proper and just completely seemed out of character like she wasn’t really a servant at all. She was someone who held a position in society. Her clothing and hands were the only thing that would make someone think twice. Her clothing looked dirty even though it was clean it just had been worn too many times. Her hands were rough and not soft they were the hands of a woman who’d had to work in the kitchen or in the fields with the animals. “Right this way-he’s waiting for you”, she said using her left hand to wave him over.

            Sharif saw that she meant for him to go through the door so he walked into the home and made sure he held the door behind him so it wouldn’t slam. He noticed to the right of him was obviously the family room he could see a big brown comfy couch that he would like to have sat in and a nice wooden floor with a few carpeted areas surrounding the couch. He loved the way the three windows let the light bounce off the room. He continued walking the hallway was white and didn’t show much decoration it was all very plain, too plain. He paused near an opening in the hallway. Although it looked more like there was meant to be a door there and no one got around to it. He could see the back of the lady of the house and over her right shoulder a little girl with curly brown hair. The girl gave him a little smile as he passed the room. He finally got to the room where Mr. Olendar must’ve been and the servant opened up the door and went inside as Sharif followed her. Mr. Olendar was sitting at a wide desk that seemed only to have an ink cup and pen sitting in the middle. There was a smaller desk beside him that was the same color as the staircase he just passed.

            “Mr. Olendar.” Sharif stated walking to the front of the desk. He always felt it was best to address people of title in such a way. Mr. Olendar didn’t really have a specific title, but he had the biggest land of all the people except the King himself.

            Mr. Olendar didn’t take notice when Sharif said his name. He was too busy looking at the servant girl who had her back to him as was cleaning off the desk behind him. Sharif looked to see what he was looking at as well and noticed that the girls bottom did in fact shake a bit. He was too embarrassed to continue looking and turned away to look down at the worn brown sandals he was wearing that were near tearing. “There you are finally.” Mr. Olendar finally said when the girl abruptly turned around. Sharif gave a half smile towards the man with the big round lips. “You have done fine work for me. I hope I can trust that you wont be gone long I may need to call on you.”

            Sharif was ecstatic by the news he’s been waiting a long time to have a job that he could depend on. Too long had gone by since he didn’t have a home to go and ever since then he had to work to get by like so many others in Maleia. The only problem was for him work didn’t always come by and he had many hungry nights. That is probably the cause for his slender athletic frame. “I hope you do sir. I’ll only be gone for a few nights as a favor to a friend. I will return shortly.” He said barely able to contain the fact that he was proud of himself for having Mr. Olendar want him to come back.

            Mr. Olendar leaned toward his right side and pulled open the drawer and Sharif could hear coins clattering. The servant who had begun cleaning the walls with a white rag slowed her scrubbing because she too could hear it and she’d been right by the door. Mr. Olendar noticed her too Sharif could see that while he kept glancing near the coins he kept looking up to notice her butt move. “This is your payment. There is plenty more if you come back to work for me.” Mr. Olendar said laying the coins down on the edge of the table toward Sharif.

            Sharif hadn’t been able to get paid since he started working for Mr. Olendar a good month ago. He was only given food and shelter which of course he knew Mr. Olendar deducted out of his pay, but it didn’t bother him much. Sharif picked up the coins: two gold piece, two silver pieces and six bronze coins. As he held them in his hands he reached to his right where his satchel was and lifted the top flap and put the money into the back open little flap. “Thank you sir,” he said to Mr. Olendar with a smile although he could see Mr. Olendar was no longer paying attention to him and had something else in his mind.

            “Good day.” Mr. Olendar said and Sharif began to walk out the servant was about to follow. “No you stay here for a just a moment. These floors didn’t get cleaned.”

            Sharif thought he could hear the young girl swallow hard because I think they both knew what Mr. Olendar wanted. She looked at Sharif with those beautiful big green eyes pleadingly, but what could he do about it. He watched as the door shut between the two of them and continued walking outside to his horse. He wasn’t sure what the situation was, but he knew for a fact that he was definitely not about to get involved in any of it.

           

           

            Sharif walked the path and untied his horse’s reins from the fence and climbed on him and rode away from Nodmez to Syceria. Luckily they weren’t that far away from Syceria. He felt so proud to help the old man out. He was tempted as to what the message was that Drerry needed to get through but he dared not read it. The next village was only a day’s ride from Nodmez. Sharif rode for most of the day he loved the open air and the smell of the trees and grass. He had brought some bread for his trip and a few apples for his horse. He made sure to give his horse adequate breaks from being ridden and time to eat. He was able to make it into the borders of the town by night fall. When it got late he made sure he made camp in some shadowy bushes. He felt they kept the people who wanted to rob you away and shielded from the cold of the night. After all he only had a light blanket to cover himself with. In the early morning hours he awoke and got some bread to eat, fed his horse and continued on his journey.

 

Maleia: Syceria

 

 Sharif arrived in the village of Syceria and followed the directions to get to Drerry’s friends house. The directions were easy considering he rode straight into the village of about ten houses and one shop. The directions told him that he’d have to ride past the village and into the wooded area. That was easy considering it only took him about twenty minutes to get past the village due to so many carriages in the dirt road. He still really didn’t understand the meaning of it, but gave it no later thought. After the village to west just like the directions said, he would see the woods he would have to go into. He wasn’t too thrilled with the idea of going into the woods considering that they were full of dangerous animals. The woods covered the entire west side of the land. The trees he knew were old as they appeared to be reaching to the sky. It took him a mile to ride past the stretches of green grass with only a small foot path to ride in. When he arrived toward the entrance of the woods he pulled the reins of his horse causing the black beauty to pout at him. He assumed it was because she too felt the fear of the woods. He put aside his fears because he hoped Drerry wouldn’t send him into any danger. He came through the woods slowly making sure he looked in all direction. If he were attacked he wanted to see it coming. So far so good. He thought to himself at least he didn’t see any animals. Finally he saw the two trees that seemed to be leaning toward each other. Drerry had written on the directions that his friends place was only about fifty feet from the leaning trees. “Were here girl.” He said in a heightened tone as he rubbed his hands on the horses back then pulled her reins so she would go faster.

His horse started going in a run and they passed under the leaning trees and he suddenly came to an abrupt halt. He had his horse approach the scene slowly. He noticed the brown grass and the charred remains of the wood that once was a home to someone. Some villagers were there to mourn the family. He could see all around the grounds were a variety of flowers spread around from roses, lilies and daisies. Shocked and in a moment of disbelief he wanted to be sure he was at the right place. He dismounted from his horse and walked with his horse walking with him toward a kneeling woman crying by the brown grass. The woman was in her late ages and he could see her tears falling silently. She touched the grass in such a way that he knew she had to be close to who lived there.

 “Excuse me miss, could you tell me what occurred here”, he felt ashamed for disturbing her grieving.

“You do not know”, she asked puzzled by his inquiry. He shook his head and informed her that he was a friend of a friend.

She looked to the ground again fiddling with a rose flower as if she didn’t want to speak. “They were friends of mine”, she said. “Mokei and Lori, he was the Kings advisor. The King is irate that someone would be disloyal to him. He is searching for the murderers and when he locates them hell, they will have to pay.”

“Did you just say murderer?” Sharif asked.

“Oh yes they came in the night they killed Mokei and his wife. There daughter was lucky to survive. The king is taking care of her. She will reside in safe hands.”           Sharif expressed his thanks to the woman and got back on his horse he had to get this information back to Drerry. After that the next morning on the way back he pulled his horse to the side of the road, so much information was going through his head, something wasn’t right. He pulled the paper from his brown satchel, he had to read it. He remembered how Drerry acted and the vicious murder of Mokei something was occurring and he was way too curious to not know about it. He detached the seal and examined the contents:

            My dear friend

 

            It has been so long I was concerned something awful might have taken place. Do not be troubled I continue to keep your scroll securely concealed away amongst my most worthless work. Please I lose sleep that you might not be returning. I have not untied it for I dread what I may discover. I am familiar with your strategy to dethrone the King. Do you actually suppose magic will rise once more? I hear chatter of a new King the rightful heir intensifying up in the West and in the North. My friend be safe. Send word to me with my friend Sharif. He is a kind man with a true heart. He will never deceive me thus not betray you.

 

            Drerry.

 

            Sharif didn’t know what to think. He couldn’t believe what he had just gotten himself into. A plot to destroy the king he could be hanged or beheaded, he wanted no part in any of this further. So he got back on the road and rode faster than before he had to get this letter back to Drerry and pretend that he’d never seen it. He feared that if he was ever found out he would still be killed. Only one person would believe him. He hated himself forever for betraying Drerry, but Drerry would have to understand. He changed the direction of his horse to head toward Maleio he was going to visit the king.

 

Maleia: Maleio

 

            In the king’s castle sat Nadia on the edge of a bed looking toward the windows hoping one day she’d get the courage to leap from it. That would never happen, mainly because she was on the highest floor of the castle. The room was exquisitely beautiful and fit for a queen. It was all massive and had gold platting on the door frame, windows and the bed. The sheets matched the curtains they appeared to be a red silk that went on forever and was soft to the touch. She was given beautiful clothes and access to her own bathroom, but still was not let out of this room for several days. She hadn’t even seen the king since he killed her father and kidnapped her. She wondered for several days how long he would keep her locked in this room.

            Knock, knock, she arose suddenly to the sounds on the door. She didn’t speak to them even as for the first time she saw the knob turning and suddenly opening. She got up quickly stepped as far back as she could. There he stood the King. He walked in further and was quickly taken aback by the sight of her beauty. She had a caramel complexion lighter than her fathers. She had auburn wavy hair that hung along the sides of her ample breast. Her eyes were a golden hazel that would trap any mans gaze. The King was definitely caught in her gaze and from that second on began to see her in a whole new light. Before today he saw her as a mere child in reality he was only a decade older than she. She saw the look he was giving her as she had seen it before and turned her eyes toward the arched windows hoping he would go away. The King was so caught off by her beauty that he didn’t know what to say he tried to remember the night he saw her but he was so overcome with rage he could not remember her beauty then. He walked over to the windows and Nadia went to the other side of the wall adjacent to them, now puzzled as to what he was up to. He let the sun shine in on them and Nadia looked as pure as an angel. She had decided to wear a white dress this morning. White was always her mother’s favorite shade. The dress seemed made for her as it perfectly curved the sides of her breast while revealing some cleavage in front. It folded just right underneath them hugging the sides of her waist and than overflowing just below her hips. She was one of a kind he thought. He walked toward her and she ran for the door it would not open and when she turned around he was only inches from her.

            “Let me go you-you animal”, she screamed in annoyance and sorrow. This was the man who killed her parents.

            He understood her resentment except for his insides was starting to burn with desire for her. He had to own her. “My dear I feel we’ve gotten off to an awful start. Let’s begin once more.” He said it to get under her skin. At this moment he had her fully pinned to the door and was rubbing his hands on her cheeks. He licked his lips and spoke; “My name in King Alexandre”.

            “I recognize who you are”, she screamed back trying to shove him away however his grasp remained attached and he ended up dragging her with him towards the bed. He could sense the fire within him it burned for her, reality of her being so near simply added extra fuel. He was currently about to toss her onto the bed when a knock arrived to the door. A guard entered the room taking in the view he asked for forgiveness straight away from the King.

            “Sire a messenger is at the gate declaring vital intelligence about Mokei.” King Alexandre sprung to his feet at the news pleased that something was finally going his way. He set in motion to stroll out the door before rotating to Nadia who was silent taking in the news and commanded her to come downstairs to greet the man with news about her father.

            Sharif had arrived to King Alexandre castle in Maleio, he planned to tell the King everything but decided instead that he’d keep the part about the scroll hidden to himself so he removed that part from the letter thinking it had nothing to do with the Kings affairs. The massive gates that held him at bay began to open and his horse galloped inside slowly. He at last arrived to the massive staircase that led inside the castle. A guard stood waiting to take his horse to the stables and he began his march inside terrified as if this were the last day he’d have to live. He got to the doors and they opened and he walked inside and was told to follow the guard there; he suddenly felt as if he was nothing more than a tiny fly. He was led all the way down the hall and left into a room. It was vast and long and at the end he could see the King sitting in his throne chair. He was a tall man around 6 ft 2in. He was built for a man nearing his thirtieth year. His rough brown eyes could terrify the life out of any man. His hair hung short on his head like little curls if you could see them that close. His yellow skin seemed a perfect fit in the gold chair that he sat in. He had guards to his left and right in their chainmill ware. His servants were in there clothes which appeared much worn. Yet he wore a robe that was of the best white fur at the top and the finest silks donned the black material as it hung from his broad shoulders. His pants were very fittingly but not overly tight and the shirt he wore was very tight showing off his manly muscles. The King was actually a very desirable man and for all intended purposes he knew it too.

            Sharif had stopped a small number of steps short of the altar that the King was located on. He had calmed down since the kings stress-free exterior somehow made him look like less of an intimidation to him. He felt comfortable.

            “I have news about Mokei”, he said just knowing this would put him in the kings good graces and he wouldn’t be in the middle of this mess. The king would trust his word he hoped.

            “Let’s hear it…this news”, King Alexandre said annoyed that he hadn’t got to the point yet. Just then Nadia walked in to the right of the king. Both the king and Sharif looked to her and both hearts skipped a beat.

            The king noticed Sharif looking and introduced her “this is Mokei’s daughter Nadia”, he gestured toward her as he spoke. Something happened inside of Sharif suddenly his voice didn’t want to work and his whole body felt heavy. It was her beauty he felt as if he knew her that he loved her before. He knew that if he continued telling the king he would hurt her and he didn’t want to do that.

            “Sir I think I may have been mistaken”, he had to get out of here. He couldn’t tell of Mokei’s treachery it would hurt her. His mind ran rampant with what the king would possible do to Nadia if he knew about her father.

            King Alexandre demeanor changed suddenly “don’t tell me you brought me away from my personal time for a mistake”, his guards began to close in on Sharif. Sharif handed him the note fearing he would have no mistake this was just too big for him. He ached for her and hoped she would forgive him. King Alexandre began to open the note and he was silent for what seemed like moments. He then folded the note and motioned with his index finger for one of his guards to come close.

             The guard nearest went towards the King and knelt down. “Yes sire”, spoke the guard.

            “Find this Drerry in town and kill him. He has conspired against me and I shall see him dead. Bring me his head. Take two men and get the job done”.

             The king arose angrily he was trying to keep on a straight face, but the anger burned behind those brown eyes. He walked toward Sharif and greeted him with a heroes welcome. Sharif had been silent and felt ready to throw up ever since he heard the mention of Drerry’s name he had completely forgotten to remove that part of the letter. Just then the king turned toward him and said he noticed that a piece was missing. Sharif denied any knowledge saying that Drerry was his friend and that would have been the only thing that he would’ve removed for the note. King Alexandre took him at his word seeing the squeamish face Sharif displayed since his longtime friend was going to be killed and it was his entire fault.

            King Alexandre turned back towards Nadia “Come” he said, “Come congratulate the man who found your fathers killer”, Nadia didn’t speak she knew who killed her father, but she did have words for Sharif. She walked the few steps down toward the level floor and moved toward Sharif as the King moved back toward his throne chair to take his seat.

            “What is your name?” she asked a waiting Sharif who didn’t yet know of his fate.          “Sha Sharif…Miss”, She nodded in acceptance then moved in closer to his ear so the king wouldn’t be able to hear. She pretended as though she was fixing his pack that hung on his back, but instead she told him the truth.

            “You are a fool” she said, “The king killed my father over a scroll he stole and Drerry was my fathers friend and I see your friend and you have sentenced him to death. I’m curious to know your purpose here. Since you have only accomplished death.”    Sharif’s entire color from his face faded. Just then he flew to his left after Nadia gave him a nice smack across the face and started screaming that he was a murderer. One of the guards retrieved her from Sharif who didn’t know it then but she had protected him. She saw the kings face and knew that in that moment if she didn’t think of something Sharif would be killed. Sharif arose to his feet the left side of his face still stinging but he didn’t blame Nadia he knew then just what a fool he had been. The king looked him over and invited him to dine at the castle in the oval room. Sharif initially tried to decline the offer, but the kings men were more than adamant meaning they would not let him leave the castle. He was directed to his quarters which were on the second floor of the castle and he was surprised it was his own room. A nice one much like the one Nadia had been living in. He too were stuck in his once the guards left the room. He would have enjoyed this setting if he didn’t have the memory of his friend dying envisioning his friend dying in different ways he allowed a few tears to fall down his cheek He hoped that Drerry would never know it was he who betrayed him.

            A few hours later a guard unlocked the door to the room he was staying and told him that supe(Sue-Pay) was ready, it was time to dine with the king. He felt awfully nervous as he began to make his way down the stairs to the left through the second door on the right which led to another hall way and the third door which was a double door had been the oval room. He was taken aback by the shape and decoration of the room. It was spectacular the paintings that appeared on the wall were all of extravagant nature even though not one showed a true picture they were all of a distorted image but somehow the beauty shown through. The glass windows directly across the doors seemed to also hold some distorted shapes that somehow fit altogether. He wondered if the window sills were put in later for effect. The floor had a nice marble effect to it standing on it made him feel like he was sitting in a pool of shiny gold pieces. He noticed two doors one to the left and another to the right. He could see the bright light to the right of him and the cooks standing there with no expression just ready to serve and finish their daily chores for the day. He noticed the king sitting at an enormous rectangular table fit for about fifty guests. He sat toward the right at the head of it.

            “Peculiar isn’t it”, King Alexandre said after seeing Sharif looking around the oval room. “I asked them for it to be round and somehow ended up with this. Everything in here feels right even though it’s wrong”, the king said motioning for Sharif to take a seat next to him. Sharif walked up and sat on the chair on the right closest to the king. Nadia walked in she had changed from the white dress she wore earlier to a more casually elegant dress. Her hair was twisted into a bun that wrapped around twice. Her dress still hugged her frame as most dresses would. This time it was red and looked slimmer on her than the previous one. This she chose specifically for tonight. Tonight she had a plan. She could sense both men’s eyes on her and followed their glances especially Sharif’s she didn’t want to lead him on because as of now she despised him but he was a part of the plan she had to make him believe in her. He was her only hope of leaving this palace. She took her seat on the left which was the kings right and placed her directly in front of Sharif.

            The king drew his right hand upward and a few fingers forward and just then the cooks came out with all kinds of delicacies. In the first platter there were several seafood samples for each of them. The second platter held more meat from a few different animals Nadia noticed the third platter to the right of her held every single fruit available. The fruit was the only platter Nadia chose to fill her plate with. While the guys chose from every single one. The conversations started off with the decorations where they were from just small talk. Nadia knew she had to get to Sharif so she started a more serious mode of communication with him.

            “So..where did you grow up?” She asked looking toward sharif while putting a red grape into her mouth. Sharif loved that she looked so beautiful eating he almost didn’t hear her question.

            “Um…I…um I grew up in Donyer (Don- ur). My parents were from Ereyci they moved away before I was born. Not much to tell really. My mother died when I was young so I have no memory of her. My father died in the last war and I survived on my own working in the fields. As I got older I met Drerry and then…”, his voice trailed off and he could no longer speak and they both knew why. She reached a foot further under the table and consoled him with it. He wasn’t expecting it and moved at first, but then came back when he looked up saw the look in her eyes that she didn’t find him disgusting. He was confused and relieved the same. The king missed the tender moment they shared and decided to give Sharif some comfort of his own

            “He was a friend I know, but he betrayed your king. I’m glad I can count on young men like you”.

            Sharif took it more like a blow to the stomach but nodded still. He decided to switch the subject he couldn’t think of Drerry now or he would never make the end of dinner. He grabbed a chicken thigh and turned to Nadia and said it was her turn. She hadn’t been expecting that from him so she was unsure if she wanted to answer. She made herself she knew the king would try something with her again so she knew he was her only escape in leaving.

            “I was born in Syceria although my family never really lived in town. My parents”, she began to speak softly remembering they were gone but somehow it gave her a bit of happiness to think of them and remember them as they were and not her last images or moments with them. “My parents”, she began again, “They were free spirits wanting to be one with nature. I was never really given meat as a child my mother was all about the natural things in life that didn’t have to be killed to be eaten. So I grew up with her philosophy. We lived out in the wilds and many animals didn’t really seem to bother us, mom always said because they knew they had nothing to fear from us. I remember mostly the lake” her eyes lit up. “The lake was so beautiful it was a sparkling blue almost as if a thousand sparkling jewels lay on its floor. There were no sea creatures that made up residence it was all ours and at night when the lights shadow appears it can be seen from the lake. It’s the best part of Maleio I always say”. She finished looking him in the eyes smiling. Sharif was so caught up in her features, her voice, the way she was he was falling in love. He’d never experienced anything like this before but he liked it he could stay forever with her. Nadia didn’t realize that Sharif didn’t need winning over she only needed to say when.

            As the dinner was winding down one of the guards knocked on the door. King Alexandre held up his left hand and a servant appeared from the kitchen and opened it. The guard stepped forward and King Alexandre arose from his seat to meet him.

            “Sire”, he spoke in a soft tone. “It is done”, he said as he bowed his head.

            “And the body”, the king inquired.

            “Right this way”, the guard replied and turned toward the door. King Alexandre began to walk out but just as he got to the door he turned toward Nadia and Sharif

            “It looks as though dinner is over. Sharif my guards will show you out when you are ready.” He walked away and told the guard still standing at the door to make sure that Nadia got back to her room and then the door shut.

            Nadia knew she had only mere minutes before the guards came in to separate her from Sharif she had to think fast. She got up and rounded the table and stood in front of Sharif.

            “Look I know I am only a stranger to you. You have to believe me though. The king killed my parents because of a scroll my father took. I have to get out of here. He will not let me go.” She looked down. “He even tried to be with me the other day. You’re going to help me because I’m coming with you.” He almost missed the last few words she had spoken as he was so taken with her beauty the way it seemed like light always seemed to be shining from her. She glowed like something he’d never seen before. She…

            “What”, he managed to say. “How am I going to sneak you out?”

            “Easy I can talk my way out.”

            “How are you going to do that?” He asked skeptically. She narrowed her eyes onto him.

            “Listen I can do it. The question is are you up for it?” He wanted to say no he wanted to leave her there. He was out of his league. This was the King she’s running from. This was the castle…the armed castle with armed guards. He was petrified, but as much as he wanted to say no. As much as he heard himself say no he knew what came out was ‘lets go’. How could he say no to her? He would stay with her forever.

            Nadia smiled and said to him to wait. She walked through the door and closed it behind her. All Sharif heard was muffled voices then Nadia opened the door and pulled him out. Sharif looked shocked as he saw too armed guards lying on the floor.

            “Well don’t just stand there help me pull them in here”, Nadia shrieked as she was pulling a guard by the arm into the dining hall. Sharif followed her lead and when both men were in the room out of sight he stuck his head out and peaked around the corner.        “What did you do to those guards”, he asked Nadia curiously.

            “A small enchantment”, she answered quickly. They went down the hall and to the right which was a corridor filled with guards luckily Nadia caught Sharif as he was about to the turn the corner. Sharif noticed the panic look of Nadia as she was trying to think of a way to get past all the men.

            “Use your enchantment again”, Sharif said motioning towards the guards.

            Nadia appeared annoyed as she faced him. “It is not that easy I am neither a witch nor a sorceress. What I used on those guards was merely being a sultry woman with a mix of noddingberry juice.” She noticed Sharif was going to ask a question and she knew which one, but they didn’t have time. The King would be back any moment. She held a finger to his face and spoke.

            “Follow me.” she said and rounded the corner while straightening her pose. Sharif hesitated for a moment, but ultimately did as he was told. He and Nadia walked side by side face first with a steadied rush pace and they almost made it through had it not been for the Kings second lieutenant Milo to step in there way.

            “Where are you going”, he asked looking directly into Nadia. Although feeling threatened she stood her ground firmly

            “I asked the King if I could escort Sharif out. The King knows how grateful I am that Sharif outed the murderer of my parents and thief of the King.” Milo hesitated for a moment before stepping to the side. Nadia let out a breath of air and immediately withheld it fearing he heard so she walked faster still. They finally reached the main hallway and luckily for the both of them no guards in sight.

            “You know that was almost too easy getting passed those guards why didn’t you try that by yourself.” Sharif asked thinking that she could definitely talk her way out of anything.

            “I’ve tried more times than I know and each time I get to the area of the guards and each time they never let me pass. I needed someone to get me pass and today in the throne room you proved yourself an ally to the King. They would trust you because of it. You’re who I needed.”

            “So wait you just used me is that it.” Sharif heard himself spill out he’d only known her just moments and he felt betrayed and he didn’t even know why his heart felt crushed. Upon hearing his roar at her Nadia felt ashamed in an instant, but knew this was not the time or place.

            “I will tell you anything you want to know but we must leave now.” They both agreed in there silent looks of each other and headed for the castle doors. The doors shut behind them feeling like massive spears they knew there was no heading back now. They ran down the massive stairs as fast as they could without arousing suspicion.

 “Where’s your horse”, Nadia looked up toward him talking. Sharif motioned toward the stables and they walked in and retrieved his horse. Sharif climbed aboard first then extended his hand to Nadia who was now shielded in a brown coat as to not harbor suspicion that she was leaving the courtyard. With Sharif’s lead the horse galloped towards the castle gates and the guards at the gates asking no question let them through. As soon as they were many minutes away and the castle seemed small Nadia asked him to take her to his home even though Sharif was obviously not going in that direction.        “I’ve been blindsided by you. I must do something for Drerry I have betrayed him. I will take you wherever you wish after I go back to his place. She understood she had fueled her own agenda until now. As much as she needed to go back home she knew he needed to go to his home. So she held on tight and after an hour or two she felt herself leaning against his frame. Surprising Sharif himself it was a wanted and welcomed gesture and if he had not been holding onto his horse he would have held her even more closely to him. It was about this time did they notice Drerry’s place. In fact it was his home and workplace.

At the same time the King had returned from viewing Drerry’s body finding it badly burned. He was furious and killed the guard for torching Drerry and forced the remaining guards who let it happen to search the body to make sure the scroll was not engulfed in the blaze. He returned to his chambers and retired for the evening. Although it wasn’t a good evening for him he had dreams of her all night. Her beauty she could be his queen and she would sire him heirs. With the scroll they could rule together forever. Yes he who held the scroll could conjure magic and with magic all things were possible making him unstoppable. He awoke wanting to go to her bed chamber in the middle of the night he wanted to start there life together here and now. He stopped just outside of his room two of his men that guarded his room walked with him. He didn’t want an audience but he could send them away but then again she’d be sleeping he’d seen her sleep he didn’t want to disturb her not now he would be back first thing in the morning. 

 

Maleia: Nodmez

 

Nadia and Drerry it seemed had a head start for now even though they didn’t even realize it. Drerry’s door to his library was broken if not completely off the hinges. As soon as they walked through the doorway they could see books and papers strewn all over the place.

 “Oh no I must find it.” Sharif began to freak out he started flipping through papers immediately. “I don’t even know what I’m looking for.” Nadia rested her hands on his shoulder.

“Let me help”, she said whispering to his right ear.

“The scroll”, he said.

“The scroll”, she repeated. “I know what it looks like I’ve seen it once when my father was working on it”, it’s very old and fragile but durable and long if your friends smart he would only keep it with his important work not out in the open like the other things.” She was right Sharif nodded and he moved toward his office located in the back of the shackled building with Nadia following. This building like many other merchant housing included an upstairs for the personal household and the first floor to conduct business.

There it was his little office which really consisted of a very small room only big enough for a desk and two chairs with a little window opposite the door. Hope they both now had when to there view at first it seemed the desk was untouched there hearts raced and paces quickened as they each got closer to the desk. For Sharif finding the scroll and saving it from the Kings reach he could somehow redeem himself for the murder of Drerry. For Nadia finding the scroll could help her understand why her parents were viciously murdered. Sharif rounded the desk first to find the drawers in the front had been ripped out and no papers were in sight.

“No, it can’t be.” What to say what to do. He didn’t know all hope seemed lost in those mere seconds. He figured the scroll to be found and the King to be victorious.

“It’s not there”, Nadia said full of disbelief. This too had been her last measure of hope. With hope lost comes sorrow and sorrow gives rise to anger. “Did you get what you wanted”, Nadia yelled at Sharif. “Huh, did you?” “My father is dead, your friend is dead and all you accomplished was giving the King exactly what he wanted no matter the cost.”   

“I never intended for any of this to happen I wasn’t the reason for the death of your parents.” Sharif explained trying to take the blame away she kept pointing on him. The blame he already put on himself he couldn’t take the way she looked at him the disgust she was pointing on him.

“No you didn’t cause my parents to die, but you made sure there death would be in vain. My father risked all of our lives for a scroll to keep it away from the King. My father faced death and refused to give Drerry’s name because he desired safety of the scroll to keep it from falling into the wrong hands. Tell me you were thinking of someone other than yourself when you road to the Kings palace.” Her words rang out like needles. He felt every prick from every breath of every word all over him. He had caused this he had made sure the King would get the scroll. He knew if the King would kill for a scroll then there would soon be many more deaths and he would be the reason. He would be the source of it all and he realized there was no hope and he wanted to drown in his sorrow, but there was no time for it he had to act and he didn’t know how or where to go they would be hunted and killed. His anger began to boil inside of him and he released it by throwing over the desk and chairs in Drerry’s little office before throwing himself on the ground and cried for the first time in his life.

Nadia had watched the turmoil unfold across his face. She wanted to take back the words she had spoken to him, but she was afraid to. Not afraid in the sense of backlash afraid that she would betray her parents somehow. They were gone and she had to avenge there murder and make sure there murderer did not get away with his crimes no matter the way she had to find one. Though she did not need to be mean to Sharif she would need his help before long. She couldn’t take on his empire with his vast armies along she was working on plans as Sharif just looked around. Then suddenly she saw his anger get the best of him as he tore about ripping things around the office tearing them down flipping the desk and chairs to the ground hearing them break into many pieces. For a moment she couldn’t think or move too stunned she even thought the anger was for her and before long he would come after her. She turned to leave to grab the horse and flee. Then she heard his tears and as much as her heart was screaming to run her head would not allow it or was it both because her feet failed her and turned around and walked into the office toward Sharif. She knelt toward him lifted his face which was wet from his tears and held him in her bosom. Sharif pulled her closer and for a moment in time nothing else existed and they held each other. Sharif felt an intense connection to her and lifted his face toward her face to lean in to touch her lips.

The moment would have perhaps been mutual if a familiar paper had not been visible from the broken desk leg catching Nadia’s attention.

“Look”, she motioned Sharif and they both went to the piece of paper sticking halfway out the leg. Nadia retrieved the paper then realizing it was a rolled up scroll being held together by hair thin rope. There was a second rolled up paper next to the scroll. The second paper was written on a different type of paper noting that it was not part of the scroll. They decided to undo that one first and Nadia noticed it was a message from her father. She passed the note to Sharif and asked him to read it because she knew she could never get past the first word.

 

“Drerry, if you are reading this letter it means I have come to my end. Please take care of my little girl Nadia she will play an important role in the days that are to come. She needs to be ready. I know you are wondering what the scroll is that has accompanied this letter. Let me take you back to the beginning. You know I am not of this land, but of a land far away. I am from across the sea and towards the ever rising sun. I am from Romea in the land of MeCea. My King the Great Monte Lebrey sent me here to spy on the King, Alexander’s father Maric. In my land I was known as an espione meaning I can sneak into and out of most lands without being seen. I would do this for the King and let him know what was happening in his lands and others and if need be, sabotage. I was a young man then when I was first asked by King Monte if I would consider going on another quest. I was young and there was still a lot of espione in me so I agreed before I knew what I would be getting into. The King informed me he’d heard gossip about King Maric of Maleia. He said he wanted me to get close to the King no matter how long it took. The gossip he heard was that Maric was trying to find an ancient scroll to unite the three lands under magic and be its ruler. Now I know the topic of magic brings much displeasure I too remember the days as a child when magic ruled are lands and the one ruler who ripped are once united plateau in three ways. It was King Monte who along with the another ruler who used its magic to bind the one ruler’s magic and make the lands safe to live again. King Monte sent the scroll with a messenger to place back in the tomb, but the scroll or the messenger was never seen again. King Monte knew that much magic in the hands of one man would once again cast a dark shadow on our prosperous lands. I was told never to return until I had information on the scroll although I kept in contact with messages to my king.

King Maric was never really a trusting man of too many people I gained his trust, but he still kept me at bay. It all seemed to shift when I met my wife. She is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen and I have seen the best diamonds in the castle. I had mostly forgotten about the scroll and even about reporting information to Monte. I was living my life whole for the first time everything was perfect. Nadia joined our lives and it was like living in one of the children’s stories of fairytales. It wasn’t until I started serving under King Alexander did life get so much more complicated. His father was more of my friend than Alexander. He was much more of a brute force than Maric almost an exact replica of an evil version of his father. He killed and burned villages without mercy and sometimes without cause only because he was the king and because he was the king he blamed these crimes on innocent men who were executed. This brings me to the main point of this letter. Tonight I was called into the Kings study he had just received news about the scroll; I didn’t even know he was searching for it. He couldn’t read it for it was written into morica the ancient languages of the people before the war. The next night someone would be there for sure who could read it I couldn’t wait I had to act fast so I stole it. In those seconds all I could think of was my quest how I had failed and now was my time to redeem myself and return to my land. I got as far as the ships and realized I had my life in Maleia, my wife and daughter. I read the scroll as I sat there thinking. I could read all languages due to my training for quests it was sometimes the only way I could report back. The scroll that accompanied this letter is the one I read and it is not the scroll Alexander needs it is the directions to the scroll Alexander needs.

Drerry I am so sorry to have involved you in this, but please protect Nadia my daughter since I cannot. I am going to have to leave her with you while her mother and I flee tonight. Then in five days time send her on a ship to MeCea and tell her to go straight to see King Monte in Lebrey he will make sure she’s safe. I need to make sure she’s safe because you will see when you look at the scroll in each of the four corners is a symbol of the three suns our THREE LANDS. Nadia has this symbol on her back although I don’t know what this means or what part she’ll play. I know it is going to be very important because the legends say that those who had magic prayed to the three suns and that is how magic first appeared. Nadia sometimes if you look at her in the sunlight it seems to be shining right on her and in the light she has another presence altogether people are starting to notice. People say her beauty is gaining if its her beauty at all something happens when the sun is out and I don’t know why please get her to MeCea to see the king.

 

Thank you my friend and I’m sorry for the burden I cast upon you now.”

 

            Sharif and Nadia sat in disbelief for a moment just trying to take in all the information her father had just written. Sharif was more silent because he was out of breath from reading the three page letter. Nadia didn’t dare speak she just wiped the tears out of her eyes and went to undo the binding from the scroll and rolled it out.

            “What are you doing your dad said we’d need a translator”, Sharif spoke up. Nadia only smiled at him.

            “Remember when I told you my family lived outside of town which means my parents taught me what I know and that means I know many languages.” She used her hands placing them on the top and bottom to keep the scroll from rolling back into the position it had stayed in so long.

            “So”, Sharif said suddenly this little quest of there’s got a whole lot complicated and all the more interesting. He knew she was in so he was definitely in for her.



© 2011 JEH


Author's Note

JEH
What do you think?? There is a likelihood of grammatical errors.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
Added on June 24, 2011
Last Updated on June 24, 2011


Author

JEH
JEH

MI



About
I am writing several books. I hope to publish one soon. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by JEH