picking up shards

picking up shards

A Poem by Miss Christine

 

the waitress at the table next to me drops a stack of plates and it shatters everything 
 
patrons clap and whistle, offer the required jabs as she kneels to the floor and begins to pick up the shards
 
the first quietly falls into her apron—a large piece—we seem to always start with the large pieces, don’t we?—and it makes no sound, not even a whisper as it’s transported from the unforgiving floor to the gentle, sweeping slope of the waitress’s outstretched apron 
 
so quiet
 
watching her, I know the other pieces will not be so quiet when they reach their destination and, of course, I’m right 
 
the scrape and clink and clatter of shards of china falling onto each other in a woman’s apron is a sound we know, even if we can’t place it; it’s the sound of things constantly finishing and continuing on; that scraping is the dog wanting out again; that clinking is ice in a too-quickly-emptied whiskey glass; that clattering is the child in us pleading, constantly pleading
 
but even this noise—this echoing brokenness—is magic. wholeness is reflected in brokenness—if one looks…or listens
 
the wholeness of a thing that, having served its purpose fully, simply lets go, doesn’t wait for you or I to say, “well, that was the last meal for that plate”, it just finishes in its own time, and with the scrape and clink and clatter of a child laughing at the morning sun, leaps onto an unforgiving floor and shatters everything.
 
and, picking up the shards, we touch over and over the memory of wholeness

© 2008 Miss Christine


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

True musicians hear music everywhere they go while the rest of us walk along thinking its nothing. The same can be said of artist and poets of course. We experience life on a different level than most. This poem exemplies that in a wonderfully, powerful and stirring way. This event probably happened and I can imagine you sitting there watching this whole scene and this poem was born in that moment.

This stanza just knocked it out of the ballpark for me -

"the scrape and clink and clatter of shards of china falling onto each other in a woman's apron is a sound we know�even if we can't place it�.it's the sound of things constantly finishing and continuing on�.that scraping is the dog wanting out again�.that clinking is ice in a too-quickly-emptied whiskey glass�.that clattering is the child in us pleading�constantly pleading"

And then this -

"but even this noise-this echoing brokenness-is magic�

wholeness is reflected in brokenness-if one looks�or listens
the wholeness of a thing that, having served its purpose fully, simply lets go�doesn't wait for you or I to say, "well, that was the last meal for that plate."�. it just finishes in its own time, and with the scrape and clink and clatter of a child laughing at the morning sun, leaps onto an unforgiving floor and shatters everything
and, picking up the shards, we touch over and over the memory of wholeness"

Okay to sum up this review I just have to say the next time I break something I will think of you and this poem and I will smile at the thought of such beauty coming from something as common as shards of broken
china.

Bravo!


Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A philosophic gem.



Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Very nice development of a life-lesson from a very seemingly mundane event. Poetry at work I'd say.


Excellent.

Forest

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Superbly written .. you take us into the poem and live it with you ...

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Remarkable writing. just absolutely remarkable, the depth and perception hears is so much more than meets the eye at first read. This is wonderful! The things you added along the way, about the dog wanting out, the child in us pleading is what really did it for me. Amazing!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

that's beautiful. the end "picking up the shards, we touch over and over the memory of wholeness" brings the whole poem into focus, on this infinitesimal incident reflecting so much more. it's like you zoomed in on the waitress picking up shards and found there so much more that would have gone overlooked. and "well, that was the last meal for that plate" is a funny touch, as well as the idea of the plate leaping onto the floor, rather than falling against it. i really like this.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautiful. Your last line is masterful, and you built toward it, through your theme, so wonderfully. What an awesomely imaginative piece you're written.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This was so vivid and alluring. you where able to give a life lesson among your beautiful flowing words. We tend to focus on the large pieces of our problem and just worry about sweeping up the leftover and not really checking to see if we have gotten to them all. I liked this piece and thought you had done a amazing job with the flow and story like quality of it.

Well DOne!!!!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Brilliantly written. The big questions found in the clatter of everyday life. I'm so glad I found my way here.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This was a smart write, and a true one. you give us eloquently the uncompromising view. I enjoyed very much! can we be friends?

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Hi Christine:
You are a writer of amazing depth. You strive for such universal truths in the smallest of actions. I love the subject matter of this piece and how you use a stack of dishes dropped by a waitress to explore the fragments of life and how people compartmentalize their memories. So you get an A+ for effort.

But there are some writing challenges to explore. Again with the ellipses! They are such an unnecessary form of punctuation (in my opinion they should be used as designed: to signify missing words or phrases or to signify a voice trailing off). The ellipses give the piece a stuttering quality that works against the easy flow of the words (they're like rocks piled up in a stream -- diverting the course of the water).

This piece is so good, but it also suffers from excessive word use. You could easily tighten this up to make it more powerful. The first sentence for example: "the waitress at the table next to me drops a stack of plates and it shatters�everything" With a few edits you can get to: "the waitress at the next table drops a stack of plates -- shattering everything."

I'm certain you can do better. But there is so much to like here. Really good write.




Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

431 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 6, 2008

Author

Miss Christine
Miss Christine

TN



About
Artist, Poet, Explorer, Creative Type My writing, like my paintings and sculptures, tends to be expressionist. I mostly write from personal experience and often write from the point of view of the.. more..

Writing
Five Five

A Poem by Miss Christine