Night of the Soul

Night of the Soul

A Story by TheBlasphemousOptimist

In the east is a gentle moon, bright and lazy as the clock on my dash flips to three. Whatever is left of spring whips through the open windows, yanking in hair around my face. The back roads are dark, as they rightly should be, punctuated only by the light spilling from isolated farm houses at irregular intervals. I shiver despite myself and revel in the feel of a lonely road and an empty night. From the radio tumbles a classic melody everyone knows the words to and I hum along softly, enjoying the feeling of wandering. I don’t know where I am, but that hardly matters. I’m somewhere between here and there and my wheels are spinning smoothly; that’s all I really need to know. My only companions are the odd trucks that scream by occasionally, all lit up and determined as they hurtle towards the unknown.

I was born on a night like this. My birth certificate disagrees, saying I was born during the dead of winter when the sun was in the sky. But what does paper know about a person anyway? Every night like this I am born anew. The wind streaming by my face reminds me who I am and why I’m here. The deadlines and hard times melt away into nothing but streams of vapor across the night. Every time I emerge from the asphalt river of solitude, I am fresh, clean and just a little bit different. Even if it does not last long, I carry the long nights and lonely places with me through the callous light of day.

As my tires turn from here to there, the world brightens a little bit. The trees turn to street lamps and the curves of the rural square off in to city blocks. My gypsy heart cries out in protest, begging me to keep going until the sun rises. But the promises made under the sun must be kept, and the responsibility of noon will come. I must stop and rest. However, night will come again and I will come back to places I’ve never been and relearn who I am.

© 2016 TheBlasphemousOptimist


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nicely done. I wanted to keep reading more. You have a knack to draw in people. I would very much like to see a full novel I think you will do well.

Posted 8 Years Ago


You have a wonderful talent for descriptive writing, whatever that means. The picture you paint is vivid and transports the reader into the picture. This has the makings of a longer story,or perhaps a short book.
Keep it up.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Wow! This, I have to say, is the most intelligent piece of prose I have ever come across. The descriptions is near-flawless and the sentiments that the narrative evokes is just...completely breath-taking. I think I have to learn a thing or two from you. Cause this is just..incredible.

Never, never stop writing. Pleease!

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 24, 2016
Last Updated on August 24, 2016

Author

TheBlasphemousOptimist
TheBlasphemousOptimist

FL



About
I'm a young writer, just starting to become comfortable with other people reading what I write, so be gentle :) I welcome any criticism you might have to offer, as well as advice and encouragement. Ho.. more..

Writing