There is Always Tomorrow.

There is Always Tomorrow.

A Story by M.E.Lyle

There Will Always Be Tomorrow

It's a funny thing about runners, they rarely know exactly where they are. It was like that with Jack on this cold morning as he ran through a misty like fog that surrounded the lake. He particularly liked days like this. Every step along the leaf covered pathway seemed quicker than the one before it.

Negative splits; run each mile faster than the one before it. It wasn't a conscious choice, it just happened. It's yet another mystery of the long distance runner never solved.

Around the corner a cute blond jumped onto the trail and ran beside him until she could no longer keep pace. She had secretly admired him. She would wait at the same spot everyday, jump in, and then fade back. She was getting better, however, and running farther each day. According to her calculations, at her current rate of improvement, she would be up to his level in about 15 years. It's a long time to wait to meet a guy, but she would if she had to.

Jack never noticed. He didn't notice a lot, which explains why, at age 23, he was still unattached.

He was an inner soul, keeping to himself most of the time. It was his way. He got nervous interacting with others, and found himself left out of most conversations. For this very reason he preferred the solitude of the long distance runner over the culture club group, where wearing the right shoes defined who you were. Jack would never pass that test. He believed in functionality over style.


Today was going to be the day, thought the girl. Today she would get him to talk to her. With all her confidence built up inside, she jumped in and joined the chase. Suddenly she realized she didn't know how to start a conversation with someone she didn't know.

She ran beside him as long as she could and then, as always, faded back. On a whim she shouted,

Hey, slow down a bit.”

He never heard her, never slowed down, never knew she was ever there.


She stopped, bowed her head and said,

Darn.”

She turned and slowly walked back.

Well,” she thought, “there will always be tomorrow.”


© 2023 M.E.Lyle


Author's Note

M.E.Lyle
A nice little tale of longing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

So many questions! lol Jack, 23 at unattached? Ha what year is this?? ;) Jack needs help. He's in his own little world. That girl could use a little help too! 15 years? Ohh no.... This was a fun little read this morning! Your last line caught me. “There will always be tomorrow.”
Tomorrow is never guaranteed. Of course, you know that, and this is just a story. Maybe, we need a part 2? :-)

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

So many questions! lol Jack, 23 at unattached? Ha what year is this?? ;) Jack needs help. He's in his own little world. That girl could use a little help too! 15 years? Ohh no.... This was a fun little read this morning! Your last line caught me. “There will always be tomorrow.”
Tomorrow is never guaranteed. Of course, you know that, and this is just a story. Maybe, we need a part 2? :-)

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well done. This great little tale exemplifies the complexities of romance, and just one of the countless ways it may succeed or fail. I wonder if Jack even wants to meet a girl. Perhaps it scares him? And the cute blond--I wish her luck and faster feet.

Posted 1 Year Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

271 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 20, 2023
Last Updated on January 20, 2023

Author

M.E.Lyle
M.E.Lyle

Wills Point, TX



About
So now I am 34 plus 40. Use the old math...it's easier. I'm an old guy who writes silly stories containing much too much dialogue. I can't help it, I just get stuck. I ride my bike trainer, our r.. more..

Writing
Zelda Zombie Zelda Zombie

A Story by M.E.Lyle


The Encounter The Encounter

A Story by M.E.Lyle



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic