How are we looking?

How are we looking?

A Story by MDM
"

Just my musings on humanity. It is about all I wirte as of now.

"
 
I often find myself wondering what people are looking for in life. What is it that will make them happy? Why do they use so many different methods of searching? For some it is religion. They think that by devoting themselves to one definitive belief structure they will find their happiness. I suppose in a way they do find something... the secure feeling of belonging to a group that has all of the same thoughts and beliefs that they themselves have. In their minds they have nothing to fear aside from the "Evildoers" that believe something different.  Other people seem to use work or school. They devote themselves wholly to their future in hopes of success or early retirement (but again... it just seems like they found the group that they are feel most un-threatened by and spend all of their time inside that bubble). There are also a lot of people that use partying i.e.- mass quantities of alcohol or drugs or both. I guess it is an addiction of feeling like you don't have to feel the fear of reality if you dumb down your mind and just keep doing it over and over. Those are just a few of the methods people use to try to be okay with life. It doesn't ever work though. It's sad because they are all in a way doing the same thing. They find something that allows them to not challenge themselves to expand their minds or who they are and they allow it ultimately to define who they are as people.
It is so easy for us to feel like we are all alone on an island, that it feels comforting to define ourselves by chosing in our minds what we are and then not allowing any room for change. Most of us are decent or even good people. It is just fear that confines us. Fear of failure, fear of feeling like we aren't in control (which we never are), or even just the basic fear of change.
Almost everyone struggles with this, and I am definitley not excluding myself from that. If you can admit it, and identify it though you can grow right?
There have to be better, more constructive ways to search for happiness. What are they?

© 2009 MDM


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's a slippery slope. No matter what you do, you can find reasons for why it is just a "comfortable position" for you to be in. That's all life is, I think. Moving around, changing, meeting new people, doing new things, always making sure you never get settled into one category. Otherwise, what are you? Just another sheep in the product that is humanity.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
1 Review
Added on March 27, 2009

Author

MDM
MDM

Tigard, OR



About
I don't really balieve I am a "Good" writer. All I really write about is life (kind of a broad topic) and my own feelings and philosophy on it. My brother is the real talent in the family. I am more o.. more..