The Artist

The Artist

A Story by Marcel Grant
"

Making your way in the tall world is frightening.

"

The Artist

 




She stood in the elevator watching the number meter rise one by one, starting from the ground up. In a trench coat, tan in color with a little too much makeup on her face, the woman pulled the tie from her hair, letting it flow across her shoulders. One of the walls was made of a mirror while the other two were of a cheap fabric material, dark violet in color. The lift had that distinct smell, one of air freshener and window cleaner which was probably applied by the maids every day.

The woman looked over to the right at the mirror, catching her reflection. Bringing a hand to her hair, she tried to adjust it a little. Wring it out, push it up to give it that life and curls that she knew she had.

Nothing. It remained wet and flat.

With a sigh she returned to the number meter, which now hit ‘15’ on the mark. The doors opened.

Walking to her right, she stepped out onto an open walk way. When she had first moved here, she was terrified of heights, barely looking down when she left her apartment. The window in her room beside her bed, she had kept closed.

But that all changed after one night when it started to rain, and the thunder started to roar with authority. She had gone to see how close the storm was despite it being high in the pitch black, night sky. Sudden lightning streamed across the sky and illuminated the whole city. She timidly looked below, noticing for the first time all the people down there, like insects scurrying to find their shelter.

Many nights afterward, clear skies or not, she would look out her window and watch the city with a smile on her face. She imagined all the people, and what they were wondering about on nights like these.

She had never been good at writing, painting, or music. But with a smile on her face as she came up to her door, lost in thought, she grinned at feeling like an artist, glancing out her window. Capturing … the moment.

It was a light feeling, but it was something that never hurt when she put too much faith into it.

Rattling the key after fitting it into the slot, she pushed the door open.

“I’m home!” she called out.

She appeared from the bedroom, light skinned and very quiet, a young girl who lived next door.

“He’s asleep…”

“Thank you again for staying so late, we got busy-”

“It’s alright and I never mind. Besides, he’s great company.”

“Tell your parents I said hello and thank you again…”

“You said that already,” her young friend laughed before leaving, not asking about pay and promising to babysit again.

The woman walked into the bathroom, removing her coat and work clothes before heading to bed.

The child slept under the covers, head on the pillow. Dark brown hair, like hers and curly, he breathed in and out softly.

Her five year old son. He never seemed to be afraid of anything.

Reaching over, she kissed his forehead and rested next to him. Wrapping her arms around him, she pressed him gently against her. Sometimes, not for his comfort, but hers.

The light in the bathroom remained on. She didn’t get up to turn it off. The room was not too bright, and not too dark, so within moments she fell asleep to the therapeutic sound of light breathing and heavy traffic.

For now, it was enough for the both of them. 

© 2015 Marcel Grant


Author's Note

Marcel Grant
Another real short story. Just something simple to pass the time. =) Hope you enjoyed it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

God I live for moments like these. It left me with a smile on my face and particularly content. Who knows whats going on in her life, yet she can lie at night and not worry about any of it. Really that is the key to happiness, being content with that which you have around you, it's all a state of mind really. Beeeeautiful, honestly I liked it a lot.

Great job :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marcel Grant

9 Years Ago

Thanks man! Glad you liked it! Yeah I live for stuff like that too c:
I love this so much. It's like when you have those little moments where you appreciate your surroundings and you feel completely content and at peace.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marcel Grant

9 Years Ago

(How did I miss this?)

Thank you so much for reading glad you liked it! xD
Gabrielle Linch

9 Years Ago

I have no idea! Haha :P

And of course! :)
I love this story!! I could picture every little thing she did from the time the story started until the story ended. Yet again this was an amazing story!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marcel Grant

9 Years Ago

Thanks a lot! xD I got was inspired when I stayed with my grandmother a year or two ago. I wish it w.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 10, 2015
Last Updated on May 10, 2015
Tags: One-Shot, Slice of Life

Author

Marcel Grant
Marcel Grant

SC



About
I'm 22, and have always loved reading since I was a kid. I've been writing since I was fourteen and really enjoy it, though I doubt I'm any good. If you get a chance, please read some of my work an.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Warm Warm

A Story by Marcel Grant