I See You

I See You

A Poem by Melissa M
"

A poem dedicated to parents, to let you know you are not alone.

"

I see you Mama. Empty cups lined and stacked in a clumsy pile, film growing along their sides.

I see your crevices, reaching down deep into the depths of soil, yearning only for some water to drink.

Why is it that motherhood isn’t talked about as being hard until you’re in it?

Or maybe it’s that it is talked about, but that you just don’t want to hear? Or more likely, that you don’t yet understand.

 

So this one is for the mama, but also, for the daddies or partners too.

 

We have given so much of ourselves for so long, to keep these babies safe. And now, here they are. And the circle of support we once were able to envelope them in now isn’t enough to keep them from harm. May we draw strength and know that while we cannot stop them from experiencing pain, we can still comfort them and support them through it. May we know that being there for them is in fact what they need.

 

And to society, we shake our heads, eyes downturned and closed. We are ashamed of you, for not yet knowing the importance of this, of not yet knowing the importance of being there for or babies or for the ones who raise them. Maybe one day, you will be mature enough to learn. You astound us as you surround us, your slow progress more irritating than a persistent leak in a bathroom sink. When you turn on your faucets, we will be ready -ready to dance in the waters and splash in the puddles. To scrub clean all that has gone wrong before us. Ready to celebrate and embrace all we truly are �" we can’t wait to show up wholly and true. And boy, do we have surprises for you.

 

But for now:

 

To the Mama separated from her sick child we see you.

To the parent, squirming as they wait for an oblivious adult to hand back their ready-to-nap child, we see you.

To the one, working hard from home but also trying to parent, these dual roles getting harder every day, we see you.

To the dad, heartbroken for his young struggling teen, we see you.

To the mom, that needs to pump but has nowhere to go, we see you.

To the partners, helping fill in the gaps for one another and shoring up the boats of sanity- boy do we see you.

And to the grandparents and the aunts and the cousins and the friends and the family and the bosses and the co-worker and the dog, we see you. We know what you want from us and what you need. Trust us, because we want and need it from ourselves too. We see you, and for every tab you open with us know there are about 60 others open along with it, some already withholding the subject you are trying to address.

We really and truly, see you.

We are just trying to see ourselves, too. And maybe, just maybe, if you see us too, we might �" just might

Astound you. 

© 2023 Melissa M


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your validation to motherhood speaks with the nobility of soul and spirit. Bless you for bringing it to light! Nice to meet you, Melissa...and welcome to the WC!

Posted 1 Year Ago


As a hard working mother, I feel so seen and recognized. Thank you for sharing this wonderful poem.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

54 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 19, 2023
Last Updated on February 19, 2023
Tags: motherhood, self-care, validation, parenthood, kids, challenge

Author

Melissa M
Melissa M

OH



About
Dreamer and aspiring author interested in writing to help myself and others process and celebrate the ups and downs of life. I am using writerscafe to exercise and hone my writing muscle. more..