Memory Lane

Memory Lane

A Story by MelissaAndres
"

Short story about a woman who has been plagued by depression and troubles and a counselor who helps her figure it all out.

"

She sat in the therapist's office, staring at the light beige wall. The small, hairline crack in the plaster was driving her crazy.


Crazy. Was she really going crazy? Straight-jacket, mental institution crazy? She guessed this bearded man with the thick glasses and the certificates nailed to the wall would be telling her that today. She smiled slightly as she wondered if those official certificates were hiding other cracks.


Clearing his throat gruffly, Dr. Henry Olton leaned forward and opened Marina Emmett's file.


"You've been coming to see me for about four months now, Marina," Dr. Olton said.


Silence.


Turning her head slowly, Marina looked at the man with watery hazel eyes.


"Yeah."


"I believe I've come to a conclusion." He placed his elbows on his knees and flipped his bright red necktie over his shoulder. "Would you like to hear it?"


A longer silence.


Marina grimaced and shrugged her shoulders. "I suppose."


"First, you are not crazy."


An audible sigh reverberated throughout the small room.


"But I do believe your mind is stuck in the past. We can work through that and bring you up to the present through various activities and exercises." He looked into the lines of her face searching for some sense of understanding.


Looking away uncomfortably, Marina asked, "Like what?" She closed her eyes tightly allowing tears to escape down her cheeks.


Marina Emmett had been court-ordered to seek therapy after her suicide attempt earlier in the year. At the age of thirty-one she had had three miscarriages, been divorced twice and had filed for bankruptcy. Happiness had eluded her for years; even before the most severe problems transpired. She couldn't put her finger on why. Once the depression worsened, things spiraled downward even further.


"Fond memories are fine, Marina," Dr. Olton grasped the woman's shaking hand. "But we need to realize that there is a difference between looking at old photo albums and strolling down Memory Lane and actually wanting to LIVE on Memory Lane." He handed her a Kleenex and she took it eagerly.


"I don't understand what you mean," Marina said honestly. "Why do you think I'm stuck in the past? I never said that." A red heat began to rise in her neck and flush her cheeks. She began to shred the tissue angrily.


Dr. Olton paused, careful to choose the proper words for his patient. "You told me indirectly through your stories of childhood. Games with your brothers and sisters, you mother's cooking, your father's vegetable garden. That was a very good time in your life, wasn't it, Marina?"


Marina Emmett nodded slowly; silently.


"I believe you are homesick for your childhood. Being an adult can be taxing with its every day problems and trials. Going back to our childhoods, if we could, we wouldn't have bills, wouldn't have to work and it would be laughter and frolic all the time. The fantasy is a great escape."


The flood gates opened and Marina sobbed heavily for several moments. She gasped and coughed. Dr. Olton fetched a cool glass of water and sat by her side until a bit of composure returned.


"I just want things to be the way they were," she replied. "I don't want to go back to be a child again really. I don't want to go back and shirk my adult responsibilities. I want us all to be the way we were." Marina dabbed at her nose with the wadded, shredded tissue. "We didn't have much but we had each other. Now some of us don't even speak. I haven't seen my brother Sage in years. Mom and Dad both fret over not being able to have a family holiday. What's wrong with being childhood homesick? I think turning the clock back would be wonderful." Marina sighed and turned her sad face back toward the wall.


"It would be nice for a brief moment. But all children must grow up and move forward. Would you be willing to work on something for me; for yourself?"


Marina shrugged again. "What?"


"How about writing a letter to one of your brothers or sisters and telling them how you feel? Tell them you would like to reunite."


"And what if they reject me?"


"We will deal with that when and if it happens."


"Okay," Marina whispered.


Dr. Olton felt a glimmer of hope.


The remainder of their session Dr. Olton helped a courageous Marina pen an eight-page letter to her long lost brother Sage. They walked to the corner together and slipped it into a free-standing mailbox.


Upon their next meeting a week later, Henry Olton noticed a change in the broken lady. She still had not heard from her brother but something was just, well, different.


"Just writing down my thoughts and feelings helped me so much, Dr. Olton." She smiled easily. "It seemed so therapeutic. I started a journal and soon I may not even need you anymore." She laughed heartily. Her laughter was music to the soul.


A faint ringing sounded from her purse. She apologized and unzipped the bag.


"Hello?" Her free hand fluttered to her throat. "Sage? Oh, Sage! How are you? Yes, I've missed you too!"

© 2015 MelissaAndres


Author's Note

MelissaAndres
Please give an overall review on this short story. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Homesick to your childhood." really got to me. Living in your past is an easy way to open a can of depression, especially if you become heavily attached. Great work, Melissa! You made me tear up once again. Your work is very emotional and I love that. It's my type of style.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Kimberly! I believe I have an eclectic list of stories. Some funny, some emotional, som.. read more



Reviews

"Homesick to your childhood." really got to me. Living in your past is an easy way to open a can of depression, especially if you become heavily attached. Great work, Melissa! You made me tear up once again. Your work is very emotional and I love that. It's my type of style.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MelissaAndres

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Kimberly! I believe I have an eclectic list of stories. Some funny, some emotional, som.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 5, 2015
Last Updated on September 5, 2015
Tags: short story, woman, plagued, depression, troubles, counselor, help, courageous, brother

Author

MelissaAndres
MelissaAndres

Fort Worth, TX



About
Hi! My name's Melissa and I love to read and write! I am married to a wonderful guy named Mark and have a grown son and step-son and five beautiful grandchildren. I no longer work outside the home .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by MelissaAndres


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by MelissaAndres