Tavern on the Boardwalk - VII - Karaoke Night

Tavern on the Boardwalk - VII - Karaoke Night

A Story by Dave

         Tavern on the Boardwalk - VII- Karaoke Night
       The summer was proving to be quite good to the tavern,  business was thriving
 like never before and the Friday and Saturday night Karaoke crowds seemed to be getting bigger and bigger.   They seem to be attracting better singers all the time.
       Sue insists that many of them come just to hear John and Willy sing together.
It has become noticeable that quite a few have come just for Connie.  One evening, to her surprise, the college student that had given her a rough time her first night was there to sing.  
       Connie and just about everyone else were caught unaware when he beautifully sang Neil Diamonds'  "Hello Again".  She was among several that went and congratulated him on doing so well.
       "I love Neil Diamond songs," he told her.
       "Me too," Connie said.
       "Connie, I want to again apologize for being such a jerk the first time I met you."
       "Apology accepted."
       "I know you've only heard me sing once, but would you consider singing a duet with me?   By the way my name is Peter."
        "Have you anything in particular you'd like to do?" she asked.
        "It's a Neil Diamond song that he sang with Barbra Streisand......
         "You Don't Send Me Flowers" she interrupted,   it's one of my favorites!   Yes, yes, I'll do it with you!"
          Without hesitation she rushed over to Willy and let her know what she was going to do.   
      "Are you sure, you've never done this before?"
      " I think you've just heard him sing and I think he sounded good too.   Besides  being a jerk the first time we met, I think he might be nice."
       "Okay Connie, I'll speak to Jason and get you set to go."
        "What about the rest of those who signed up already, won't they be mad?"
         "I'll take care of it, don't worry."
         Connie took off to inform Jason about the duet and she took the mic.
          "Ladies and gentlemen I know many of you are anxious for you turn, but I'm going to ask your indulgence for this added duet. My husband and I will sing duets later, but this a special one being sung by Connie, with whom I'm sure many of you are familiar and one of our college crowd regulars Peter.   They are going to sing "You Don't Send Me Flowers Anymore."
          There was a quiet murmur, but then both Connie and Peter came up to the mics. and things got very quiet.
        Connie started first and then was joined by Peter.  They were perfect together, it was almost as if this song had been written especially for them.   While they were singing the audience couldn't help to notice that the two of them were attracted to each other.  Though it was a duet, the two of them couldn't seem to take their eyes off the other.  At the end they melted into each others ' arms.
         When they finished, to thunderous applause, they hugged each other and then he kissed her.  His buddies, expecting to see their friend tossed to the floor, or worse, were surprised to see her kiss him back.  The entire place erupted in a roar of approval.   Peters' friends came over to clap him on the back,
         Neither John or Willy had seen what happened until one of the other servers told them.  They quickly came over to the still hugging couple.
        "That was some performance." said Willy.
        Jokingly John said," How are Willy and I going to top that?"
        "Thank you, so much," said Connie to Peter and Willy and John, but I think I should get back to work now."
        "It was a real pleasure, I'll sing with you anytime."  Peter told her.
        "Me too.   See you later."
        Peter turned to join his friends when John called out to him, "Peter, the two of you were really great!   Go up and tell the bartender he should give you whatever you want to drink, on me."
         "Thank you."
          After Peter left, John turned to Connie.  "You were great too, but what was that all about at the very end?  Wasn't he the same guy that you "took down" just a week or so ago?
          Willy moved and took Connie's hand.   Looking directly at John she told him, Weren't you watching them while they sang?   Couldn't you see it, feel it?




      


        

© 2021 Dave


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is the best writing of yours that I've ever read. This is a compelling storyline with interesting complexities & good visuals (((HUGS)))

Posted 2 Years Ago


A wonderful story shared Dave. I liked the location, the characters and the ending. Thank you for sharing the amazing story. Hello my friend from Michigan.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


Dave

3 Years Ago

Thanks for taking the time. I'm not sure if I'm going to continue it
Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

You are welcome my friend.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 5, 2021
Last Updated on August 7, 2021

Author

Dave
Dave

Bridgewater, NJ



About
David B. Pincus I am a retired teacher. I have taught in grades 5th-8th in New Jersey. I am married and have two grown daughters and four grandsons. I enjoy playing tennis and traveling. With m.. more..

Writing
Love's' Beauty Love's' Beauty

A Poem by Dave


Tell Me Tell Me

A Poem by Dave


LUST LUST

A Poem by Dave



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..