7 Steps to Help Seniors in Need

7 Steps to Help Seniors in Need

A Story by Marilyn Monrow
"

It can be challenging trying to care for and elderly parent when you already have so many things to deal with at home. You always want to be there for them, but many things can stand in the way.

"

7 Steps to Helping Your Aging Parent in Need 

It can be challenging trying to care for an elderly parent when you already have so many things to deal with at home. You always want to be there for them, but many things can stand in the way. Being concerned about your parent's safety and their ability to complete the day-to-day tasks required for survival can be stressful. Here are seven things you can do to help your elderly parent during this phase of their life.

Assess the Situation

Assessing your parent's current health and living situation can be hard. It can also be difficult to discuss with them if they are not receptive to the help of others. Talk to their doctor to get the scoop on their situation. Their doctor will know better than anyone what needs your parent may have trouble completing themselves.

Know Your Options

Your parent's best living situation will directly depend on their health and how independent they are. If they require more direct care, skilled nursing care communities and assisted living are available. There are also caregivers that drop in a few times a week to help take care of any tasks too hard for the elderly adult.

Plan a Family Meeting

It is important to inform all family members of the situation and make sure everyone is in agreement with the decisions being made. Other solutions may be found, and responsibilities can be delegated to family members willing to help.

Gather Contact Information

Make sure that you have a list of contacts and phone numbers to share with anyone involved in helping your aging parent. Post this contact information where everyone can see it and send a copy to anyone who might need it.

Have an Emergency Plan

Be prepared for any emergency. Put together a first aid kit as well as a supply kit that they can get to easily. Make sure that your aging parent knows what to do if something arises.

Get a Security System

Many criminals prey on the elderly seeing them as easy victims. Install a simple security system and video surveillance. There are some that can be accessed remotely letting you see what is going on from your home.

Keep in Touch

Take time to communicate with your parent as often as possible. Phone calls are nice, but make sure that you visit them in person as well.
There are many ways to help seniors in need. Follow these seven tips to help in caring for them.


If you are looking for the care of your loved one, then, visit our website [www.homecareassistancebloomfield.com], and give us a call (248.283.0835) to schedule a free consultation.

© 2018 Marilyn Monrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on June 16, 2017
Last Updated on March 22, 2018
Tags: health, healthy, healthcare