At War

At War

A Story by MC Guérin
"

One can be at war with their own mind.

"

At War

 

   He dreamed of being back home, with his wife and newborn son. They were at their house, a small place just outside the city. It was a good dream, very clear, he watched as his son grew. He loved his family dearly.

   But he is not with his family. He is away at war.

   He wakes to the sound of gunshots and hears someone yell that they are under attack. He grabs his gun from under his pillow and runs around the corner, crouching down, awaiting further orders. More shots. His heart beats loudly in his ears, his hands clammy. He hears voices but he can not make them out.

   “Oh God they are all dead!”he cries as he realizes what is happening.

   It was an ambush. All those that were with him are now dead and they are looking for survivors to kill. They are looking for him. His only shot at getting out alive, to be able to go back to his family, is to kill them first before they kill him.

   He sees someone come around the corner. They are not wearing the army uniform. He shoots. He watches as the body crumples to the floor and a pool of blood start to form on the ground.

 

   His girlfriend comes running in, claiming to have heard gun shots at their neighbors. He tells the workers to stop, silence following the cease of power saws and nail guns. He runs over to his neighbors house and knocks. From the other side he hears a faint cry for help.

   He kicks in the door to find his neighbor, three months back from the war, cradling his wife in a pool of blood. She has a hole in her chest matching the bullet that was shot by the gun in her distressed husbands hand.

© 2016 MC Guérin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
Added on September 26, 2016
Last Updated on September 26, 2016

Author

MC Guérin
MC Guérin

About
Teen writer. I write poems and short stories that are usually dark in nature. Feel free to give me feedback. more..

Writing
Lines Lines

A Poem by MC Guérin