My first published work

My first published work

A Story by Marcy Simmons
"

in the beginning...

"

 

My first published work
By Marcella Simmons
 
Writing has played an important role in my life, and for the most part, I took my career pretty serious. Humorous writing wasn’t one of my specialties, but looking back at some of my first published pieces, I have to laugh because some of the stories or articles are some of the worse I’ve ever read (or written). Editors published my work regularly back in the early nineties – why is beyond me. Some of my manuscripts were nothing less than an unedited first draft with numerous mistakes and flaws that made reading an unpleasant experience to say the least.
 
I appreciate the opportunity the small press newsletters and little magazines afforded me, and the chance to become a professional writer in training was worth every stamp. Getting paid in copies was a lot better than not getting paid at all, and the valuable lessons I learned was worth it all. Through trial and error, I learned how to be a writer.
 
Years have passed since my training years and much water has travelled under the bridge, so to speak, and I am still writing. It is time to venture out of my safety mode and move into the larger, paying markets. It’s time I start earning my keep doing what I know how to do – write.
 
Remember, if you’re just starting out, start small – earn a published bio and then move up the ladder of success to larger paying markets. Learning to become a professional writer is half the fun. The other half is reaping the benefits after the training is over! Keep trying and never give up – you’ll get there eventually! We made it and so can you!
 
 

© 2009 Marcy Simmons


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
Added on August 15, 2009

Author

Marcy Simmons
Marcy Simmons

Logansport , LA



About
My Passion for Writing By Marcy Simmons I used to think that I would write every day of my life, but my passion faded somewhere between working and getting the kids raised and prepared for a.. more..

Writing