Avenue of the Dead

Avenue of the Dead

A Story by Maxine G. Harney
"

Sort of random. But I thought it was sort of cool.

"

Avenue of the Dead

                He stormed down the dark road, his brother and the rest of his disciples following close behind.  With one swift wave of his hand, the windows of the surrounding buildings shattered, spraying tiny fragments of glass everywhere.  A sinister laugh erupted from the young fellow’s throat as screams of terror sounded nearby.  Yes, yes, yes! He thought.  He was finally free! He had been waiting all of his life for this to happen.  And now! It was becoming a reality! Triumph!

                People ran about in a frenzied panic as the group continued down the road.  Slowly, the young man lifted his hand and began to curl his fingers into a tight fist.  Out of nowhere, a strong gust of wind swirled above them like a tornado.  Throwing his hand out in front of them, the tornado like wind rushed down the street, collecting up debris from previous explosions that the group had caused.  He waved his hands once more, causing all metal objects to levitate into the air with a loud screeching sound.  With a flick of his wrist, he sent the metal objects hurtling into each other, spraying metal shrapnel everywhere as they collided.  Oh, what fun he was having! A childish giggle escaped his lips as he clapped his hands together excitedly.

                The young fellow snapped his fingers, two paths of fire appearing on either side of the street.  Forming three small balls of fire between his hands, he spun them around, amusing himself in doing so.  Abruptly, a serious expression washed over his face as he looked up at the frantic mayhem.  He took one of the fire balls and sent it hurtling toward an electricity pole.  The pole burst into flames and toppled into the street, tearing through the side of a nearby building. 

The second fire ball, he threw into a pile of gasoline canisters that his disciples had found.  The canisters erupted into a mass of red and yellow light.  The flames danced higher and higher: above the heads of the cult members, above the heads of the terrified pedestrians.  The third, he simply threw over his shoulder, with an apathetic shrug, into a cowering group of children.  Screams of terror complimented the crackling sound of the raging fire.  Another twisted laugh escaped his lips as he danced further down the road.

                The young man’s brother had powers of his own.  And he was having tremendous fun experimenting with the new skills he had developed.  One by one, he began to pick off random pedestrians with his ability to bombard their minds with thoughts of insanity.  Soon after, the individual wouldn’t be able to take it anymore, resulting in the ultimate penalty of death. 

                And finally, the group reached the end of the road.  The man lifted his hand and his followers stopped walking.  Slowly, he turned on his heels and looked down the road, examining the damage he had done.  With an unsatisfied shake of his head, he slapped his hand against the pavement.  A series of waves rippled down the road, creating massive cracks in the pavement.  He repeated the action: Once, twice, three times.  Standing up, he reexamined the road and tapped his chin thoughtfully.  Raging fires, demolished buildings, ruined pavements and mangled bodies? Yes, yes, yes and oh, yes!  That was it.  He had done it! They had triumphed.  The Avenue of the Dead.

               

 

© 2009 Maxine G. Harney


Author's Note

Maxine G. Harney
Please comment! They're love!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
Added on January 27, 2009

Author

Maxine G. Harney
Maxine G. Harney

Boston, MA



About
Name: Maxine G. Harney Age: 14 Location: Boston, Mass. Writing Experience: Approx. 7 years (Nothing professional just yet) Typical Writing Style: Don't really have one. But I DO use quite a bit of v.. more..

Writing