Jar of Hearts - Reason

Jar of Hearts - Reason

A Story by M.N. Athena
"

Please read the Note for Reviewers after/before reading the story.

"

I knew that it was going to be another dull day when my alarm raged from my side table. But the thought of the fight yesterday will not make my day the same as before. What on earth have I gotten myself into?

I went downstairs all dressed up. As expected, dad wasn’t there as always. I had to survive childhood without ever having to spend quality time with him. The only time I was able to be truly happy with him was when I was seven and we went to the park to play soccer and that’s it. I hated him for that but I never complained. He taught me a lot of things despite his absences. When I got milk from the fridge, my mom suddenly appeared from the living room. She was on the phone walking with a serious face. I just ignored the thought of asking myself why and got myself a bowl and cereal.

“Yes, I understand how important it is. No, Michael, I’m not going to leave anything behind. Yeah, okay. I’ll see you soon.” My mom put down the phone.

“Was that dad on the phone?” I asked her with my mouth full. Mom was lost in thought because she was staring on the ground for a long time. I called her again and that’s when she got back to me. I asked her again the same question I told her before.

“Cathy…” her tone of voice didn’t sound like she was going to give good news. “We’re going to move back to England.” I dropped my spoon accidentally. I didn’t want to believe what I just heard.

“You’re joking, right?”

“No, I’m not. Honey, I know this is going to be hard but-“ She said but I interrupted her.

“Why do we have to go back there? I like it here already, mom. I’m not going to leave this place.” I sort of burst out to her but I felt completely shocked. My heart was beating fast.

“I know, sweetie, and so do I but your father was assigned to a location back there and it’s very important that he do it. Do you understand?”

No. I didn’t understand. I didn’t want to understand.

“And also, your father disapproves of you and Brandon.” I looked up at her pokerfaced. It was all over, I thought. I left the house without a word.

At school, I was alone today like before. I stayed at the empty staircase on the fourth floor during free period and lunch. I was deep in thought about the move. I had to cry every time. I went back to the staircase again during dismissal. I had a hard time having to decide whether I should leave everything and go back to the place where I was also once happy. But…I was already happy here. I was happy with him. Did I have to risk leaving the one I truly love for my own family? It was hard. I had to decide between the two things I truly loved and cared about. I started to cry by myself and then he came.

“Hey, why are you crying?” he asked me and sat beside me.

I wiped my eyes and had to appear that I didn’t cry. But it was too late. My eyes and face were completely soiled with tears. I didn’t know how to tell him but I had to.

“Brandon… I’m leaving.” Those were the only words that were able to come out of my mouth. He looked dumb-founded and confused at the same time.

“Leaving? Leave where?”

“I’m going back to England with my family. My dad has a job he needs to do there and I think it will take him a long time to complete it.” I told him the reason. I didn’t want to tell him that my dad hated our relationship. It would just make things worse.

His crystal blue eyes stared at mine but this time, it was filled with sadness. I wanted to cry again but I was only able to manage a tear. He wiped it with the back of his fingers and tucked my hair.

“Even if you’re crying, I still think that you’re the most beautiful person in the world.” He said. Brandon is always like that. No matter how angry or depressed I am, he never fails to make me smile. He smiled as well but it went away. I saw in his eyes that he remembered. He remembered that this wasn’t a dream anymore but something real.

“I understand. Please go with them.” He said. I knew he was going to say that.

“I know. You want what’s best for me, don’t you?” I said.

“I do. I’ll wait for you.”

Our foreheads touched and we closed our eyes then a deep but calming silence ensued. The only sound I can hear was the sound of breathing.

“I want to cherish this moment. I want to tell you everything I feel. Just like before.”

“Say it, my love. My sweet rose from the beautiful garden of Eden.”

“It’s impossible for words to explain my love for you but…”

“But what?”

“I want you to know that you gave me every reason to believe that happiness can exist. You gave me every reason to believe that the impossible can be possible. You made me believe that even a life like mine can be worth living for.” I said, with a real smile.

He smiled and said, “You don’t need to tell me those because I would know through that smile. The smile that shows that you are really happy. I could say everything I feel about you as well but my life right now is too short for words. I love you, and that’s all that matters.” He said. I wiped my face again because tears were falling. He asked if I was feeling better. “I’m fine. Much better now.”

© 2011 M.N. Athena


Author's Note

M.N. Athena
I'm sorry if the Jar of Hearts are all disorganized but mainly it's just a love story between a girl and a boy who are, well, in love. I'll organize it as soon as I finish collecting all the pieces needed to be filled to make the story. Please don't be confused. I can only write during my free time. I had to do this before doing my piles of homework. (Haha, I'm such a procrastinator.) Anyway, please feel free to review and give constructive criticism.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on June 28, 2011
Last Updated on June 28, 2011
Tags: love

Author

M.N. Athena
M.N. Athena

Philippines



About
Being insane is not a sin but a choice. I am here for a reason. Literature has changed my life throughout my 3 years in high school. If you wish to know more about me, don't be afraid to ask.. more..

Writing