A Taste of Love

A Taste of Love

A Poem by S.





Love taught me
That you can be in two places
At the same time

My body here with me
My heart there with you

Should I get my heart back so I can be whole?
Or should I follow where it leads
And fight all the odds?

Love made me feel
The pain of being selfish
For all it gives is temporary happiness

And Love showed me
It can grow where it shouldn't be

For sometimes the very person we treasure in our heart
Is someone who can never be part of our life



~

S.

© 2023 S.


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There is no "self" to love so it would be quite impossible for love to make one feel selfish. Love is giving without expectation. Anything that demands a return isn't love, it's a "trade". I don't think love can grow anywhere it shouldn't either since love belongs everywhere. Lust, pride, spite, envy, expectation and infatuation may all grow where they shouldn't be but not love. Love is hard work, responsibility, dedication and sacrifice but it holds its own reward in that it is eternally self-sustaining, self-perpetuating and replenishing. Will Shakespeare said, "Love’s not Time’s fool, though rosy lips and cheeks Within his bending sickle’s compass come: Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, But bears it out even to the edge of doom. If this be error and upon me proved, I never writ, nor no man ever loved." I'm inclined to agree with Will on that one.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Soyam

1 Year Ago

I'm agree with you. True. Love can never make you selfish. Because love itself means selfless.



Reviews

Wow, everything you wrote here, is so very true,
sad realization of love, still a mystery yet it makes us all love "love."
Great poem
-Amy

Posted 3 Months Ago


a sad realization. love in all of its intricacies never an easy thing. "never" is not an easy word to handle. a complex matter to come to terms with. well done ... :)

Posted 1 Year Ago


I so relate to this poem and its sentiments. It has a poignancy and indeed makes the reader think.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
That's the most beauty writing. It's not even writing at this point its pure emotional triggering. Better writer than I'll ever be. Not even with a good pencil.

Posted 1 Year Ago


This is so sweet a poem to me:) I will never truly understand love in fact I don't write about it very often I think love is one of the greatest mysteries of life (and I am a slow learner LOL)

Posted 1 Year Ago


This poem is about soul mates, no doubt. :)

Posted 1 Year Ago


I do agree.
"For sometimes the very person we treasure in our heart
Is someone who can never be part of our life"
Love is difficult. Need two people in the same place and wanting the same things. Rarely happens. Thank you for sharing the amazing poetry and your thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


Love is unconditional... which doesn't mean that two people can't be in the same place...they can be separated, but love is still there....it's difficult to love and be selfish at the same time.... because love requires give and take....an matter the places.....your heart is part of love and has to be in essence with the right one....love is not an object it is feelings for person....passion is part of love and two people must be together for that....love is not temporary happiness, if it feels right it should be forever.....nice write!
Best, B

Posted 1 Year Ago


Nice poem, S. Have you ever read S.? by John Updike. That's a great novel. I love your seriousness and your commitment. Love makes soldiers of us all and love is a voice in the dark of the incomplete world. Nobody is without it, not writers and statesman and ploughmen and archers. Not car mechanics and marathon runners and Harley riders and tulip growers. It defines the human heart and names the soul. It proves the soul. It proves the planet. Without love the Earth is without axis, without spin, without water. Without light or dark blue and the mountain ranges that anneal it.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Great poetry...
And so very real and true for many...

"For sometimes the very person we treasure in our heart
Is someone who can never be part of our life"

Well said... we must all try and fight against the odds anyway...
True love is worth it...
;)

Posted 1 Year Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

331 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 24, 2023
Last Updated on June 25, 2023

Author

S.
S.

Philippines



About
Everything I write in here is for a very special person. Know that even if we no longer talk, I miss you every minute of my every waking hour. I love you, still loves you, and will be loving you until.. more..

Writing
Lovespell Lovespell

A Poem by S.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cool Sand Cool Sand

A Poem by MsJewel