The Core

The Core

A Story by Elizabeth Allier
"

The government blah...

"

The Core

 

            “I’m tired Ms. Swan, please let me go to sleep.” The 5 year old begged softly.

            “I’m sorry, I can’t yet we aren’t finished.” She whispered.

            The young boy yawned and rubbed his clear gray eyes, in his right hand he dragged a ragged white teddy bear. Katherina Swan held tightly to his small hand and led him into a corridor full of cells, she stopped him in front of a bound man about 40, he was rugged and decrepit looking.

            “Hello Mista Robinson.” Ms. Swan said tauntingly.

He glared at her with dull blue eyes.

            “Why how rude say hello to my friend here, X,” She said mockingly.

            “Why won’t he talk Ms. Swan?” He asked curiously.

            “Because honey we cut out his tongue.”

He gasped, “Why?”

            “You see darling Mista Robinson is very rude, he said some things he shouldn’t have and when you talk when you shouldn’t,” She started, grabbing his cheeks so his mouth would open, “They take pliers and they rip out your tongue, so you can never speak again. Now honey would you like that?”

            “No Ms. Swan, I don’t want that.” He said trying to hide the forming tears.

            “Then never talk to strangers again, do you hear me X, never or you’ll find yourself with Mista Robinson, we clear?”

            “Yes, very clear…” He said, “I’m sorry Ms. Swan, it won’t happen again.”

            “Good now come along time for bed sweet heart.” She said taking his hand again and leading him away.

            She dressed him in his night clothes and laid him in bed.

“X, I’m sorry it has to be like this honey…you wanna hear a story baby?”

He nodded, “Yes please.”

“Once upon a time you had a real name, a real family, and now you only have this base, and then you will have nothing at all; only your assignments and yourself.”

“What about you Ms. Swan, don‘t you love me?” He asked.

“No, in this business you can never love anybody.” She said, “There are lessons in this world that you have to learn X and that’s one of them, never love and never be loved.”

He turned on his side away from her and sniffled, “And the other lessons?”

“You’ll learn them in time.”

 

© 2008 Elizabeth Allier


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was good! The dialogue really helped move the story along. The idea was good. Wished there was more!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 24, 2008

Author

Elizabeth Allier
Elizabeth Allier

Shadow Land



About
Hello, I am Elizabeth Allier, I am someone who cares but doesn't (depending on who you are) I currently reside in Shadow Land, right in between the October Country and the Night World; I love wr.. more..

Writing