Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by imfucking-in-an-elevator
"

an introduction to Devyn, Finn, and Camp. this is reaaally long in my opinion. the other chapters probably won't be so long. but who knows.

"

I always thought they said being a teenager was supposed to be fun and carefree, that you were supposed to be doing all these things you would never forget. It hasn’t seemed like that yet. I’m fifteen, a sophomore in high school, and honestly, I have yet to do anything worth remembering when I’m eighty. In all honesty, I have only ever done one thing I can look back fondly on. It was the time I decided that I was going to actually make my life more interesting. I decided to join the boys’ soccer team.

 

At first, it seemed like too big of a risk. So many people absolutely despised me at my school, mainly because I didn’t fit into any of their norms. I refused to wear the two styles of clothing they deemed ‘appropriate’ for their world. It was either a preppy jock style, or a redneck style. I thought that both were incredibly atrocious and always swore against any form of the options. The other reason they didn’t approve of my existence was that I chose to live by my own rules and not adhere to anything anyone else had to say. I believed if you were living your life to please someone else, you weren’t living your life to its fullest potential. So instead of choosing to fit in with my peers, I decided to stick out and live by my morals and beliefs.

 

The first time I saw a poster for tryouts for soccer, I thought nothing of it, being the farthest thing from athletic at that point in time. But when they started popping up everywhere, the strangest of places being inside my locker, I decided it must’ve been fate for me to tryout, so at 3:30 on Wednesday afternoon, I headed over to the elementary school to do just that. I hadn’t been to the school in ages, seeing as I was fourteen, and you leave that school when you’re ten or eleven.

 

When I got there, there were a couple people playing on the climbing toys, a few playing tetherball, and a few just sitting there chatting. Everyone snapped to attention when an older guy walked up. He looked too young to be the coach, but he was definitely at least a junior. His voice was crazy loud, and he didn’t seem to do anything to hold it back at all. He announced that he was in fact not the coach, but the assistant coach, and we were to address him with just as much respect, since he was still in charge. Someone was stupid enough to actually ask what his name was. I had learnt, in all my years of watching people play sports, and overhearing practices, you always address them as coach. Never their first name, never their last name, but just coach. To my surprise, he actually answered this question plain as day.

“My name is Stuart. Stuart Camp. But if you want my attention for any reason, just yell Camp, and I’ll probably respond,” he announced not only to the asker, but to everyone at the tryouts.

 

The next question came from a nervous voice, two places to the right of the first one. “If you’re only the assistant coach, who’s the actual coach?”

I personally thought Camp was gonna punch him for the ‘real coach’ bit, but he seemed cool about it, responding with, “I am an actual coach, but the head coach is Ayden Pardo.” The kid who made the actual coach remark literally winced when Camp annunciated the word actual in his statement.

 

Instead of asking if we were to address Coach Ayden and the former or if we were to just say Pardo like with him, I waited for someone else to ask for me. It didn’t take long, as it was obviously eating away at the others too. A shy kid I’d seen in some of my classes was the one to voice the concern of the rest of us. I think his name was Simon or something. He wore thin glasses and definitely looked some sort of Asian descent. “And exactly how are we supposed to address the head coach?” he asked, making sure not to sound too irritated.

“Just call him Coach for now. If he doesn’t like it, oh well, he can retrain you guys to call him something else or he can just deal. Anyway, we need to start getting you guys in shape for daily doubles. Let’s start with 3 laps around the field after you guys go change! Just start running when you’re done, then go wait for the rest of you at the goal on the left,” Camp stated before walking over the wrong goal.

Everyone headed into the locker room at the elementary school to change. I was pretty self conscious at that time, so I changed in the bathroom stall, and then headed out to do my laps. I was under the impression that this was a warm up, so I jogged them at a relatively slow pace, that is, until Camp came over and decided he was going to run behind me and scream at me till I sped up to an unreasonably fact pace. When I was done with my laps, along with everyone else, He walked to the front of the group and made an announcement to everyone.

“The skinny one over their demonstrated exactly what you AREN’T going to be doing at these practices,” he started. “We are here to work HARD. We are here to go HARD. I will not have ANY lazys here. If you are unwilling to work as hard as you possibly can at every single practice, leave now. No one will judge you. No one will look down on you. Nothing. If anyone does, come tell me and I’ll give them some advice.”

A few people got up and walked off, heading back to the locker room to change, obviously not ready for 4 practices a week at this intensity. When they were out of ear shot, Camp continued, “Now that they’re gone, I’ll continue. I won’t actually push you that hard every day. I only said that to make sure only the willing and dedicated are here. If you don’t WANT to try your hardest every day, you shouldn’t be here right now. This team is only for the incredibly dedicated.”

Right then I really wanted to walk away, seeing how I didn’t really WANT to be there, I was only there because of the abundance of flyers in my locker. Thinking back, I was pretty sure they were just dropping the flyers in everyone’s locker, but no one else ever mentioned it. I managed to stop myself from walking away and continued listening to Camp.

 

“Now, Coach isn’t gonna be here till daily doubles, so I’ll be the one training you for these next few weeks. Every day, you will dress down and come out here to do your laps at 3:30. If you are not on the track by 3:40, you will be marked as LATE. That will play into affect during Daily Doubles. DO NOT BE LATE. After your laps, come to the goal. I will have our schedule for the day posted. Do NOT check before your laps, because if I see you looking, I will change our schedule for the day AND you will run 23 more laps.”

Thinking back, I now know he was not serious about the 23 laps, but whenever someone decided to be a smart a*s and walk over to the schedule before hand, we never did what it said, and they always had to do more laps. We quickly learnt to do our laps when he was watching; just to be sure we didn’t have to do extra laps.

“When we have all met up here and discussed our schedule, we will move on to ball technique. I don’t care how good you think you are, you can always practice more. We will go over specifics of exactly what BT we will be working on after laps. Then we will move on to stamina work. Again, specifics will be after laps. We will never do the same thing twice in one week, and the order will always be different as well.”

When he was finished speaking, we all went to grab a ball. Looking at the pile, I found the perfect ball, it was green and orange, almost perfectly round, and it wasn’t brand new, or twenty years old. I reached down to pick it up when Camp kicked it away from me as hard as he could. I shot up into a fully straight position and just glared at him while asking, “What the hell was that for?”

The look he gave me after the words left my mouth told me exactly why he’d done that. This was football, not American football, but real football. No hands allowed. Camp blew his whistle and everyone turned to look at him.

“Hustle in! I forgot to tell you maggots something!” He yelled, making sure even the half deaf kids in china could hear him.

People started to slowly walk their way back over to the goal, coming in from all directions. “I SAID HUSTLE IN!” He screamed again, even louder than before. “HUSTLE DOES NOT MEAN WALK!”

Everyone at that point grabbed their footballs and ran in as fast as their legs could carry them. When everyone had arrived in front of us, Camp gave us yet another lecture. This time, he was discussing hand use during practice.

“Unless I have you playing goalie during scrimmage or drills, hands are a no go. This is FOOTBALL, not HANDBALL. Now, before you all leave to go back to your balls, I’m going to have you all introduce yourself to one another, just so we can call each other around more efficiently. Let’s start with mister rule breaker over here first.” Camp said, turning to look at me as he finished his sentence. Apparently I was to start.

“I’m Oliver Lehcar, but I go by Finn,” I stated bluntly, not wanting to be looked at.

“We need more info than that Finn,” Camp told me. “Where are you from, favorite thing to do, that stuff. Describe yourself in 10 individual words for me.”

“Ten words. Let’s see. Independent, outspoken, and Honest. Uhm, Ginger. Creative, passive aggressive. Is that one word or two?”


“I’m gonna go with one,” He responded, wanting me to do the most work, I assumed.

“Well that’s 6. How about anxious, OCD, musical, and … incoherent?” I finished, hoping he would let me slide with OCD even though it wasn’t an adjective. He did, but he still dug deeper.

“Where are you from and what’s your favorite thing to do?” He asked, making sure I answered every single question he asked.

“I’m from Vero Beach but as is obvious, I go to school here in Sebastian. In my spare time, I like to …” I trailed off because honestly, what DID I like to do? I couldn’t think of anything off the top of my head and from what I could tell Camp was getting irritated at me. I quickly finished with, “I like to sing and play guitar?”

Camp seemed satisfied with that answer, but apparently I was wrong. He continued with the questions. The next ones were incredibly less substantial, little details, like if my parents were still together, which they weren’t, whom I lived with, both, I went back and forth a lot, and who I liked better, I refused to answer that one. After he was done interregating me, he went through the rest of the group, not spending anywhere near the amount of time he did on me. I had a feeling Camp and I were going to not always see eye to eye this year.

 

“Okay so depending on how many of you did soccer in eighth grade, you may remember Devyn Cloud. He was our captain last year, but this year, we’re thinking of having a co-captain as well, so that spot is up for grabs to whoever decides to show they’ve got what it takes to help run this team,” Camp said as an older, but still young kid walked to the front of the group. I was assuming that was Devyn that Camp had talked about. He was short, obviously not white, or if he was, he tanned A LOT. He was probably some sort of native, and he had this face. It was cute, but I am not gay. He’s just, little kid cute. But he’s older than me, so I can’t really say that.

“I’m going to be watching all of you very closely during these next few weeks. I will have some say in who co-captian is, if I manage to keep my spot on the team. There are a lot of people here, full of potential, and who knows, maybe I won’t have all the ambition I had last year that earned me spot as captian. Also, whoever gets co-captian this year, has first dibs on jersey number, and they automatically get captain spot next year if you stay on the team,” Devyn started saying, hoping to spark interest in at least one of the boys. Honestly, I didn’t WANT to care, but I couldn’t seem to shake the feeling that I wanted to impress this kid. It made no sense, I didn’t care about sports, let alone some haughty junior that was trying to convince some kid to work ten times harder than he needed to just so he could have someone to help keep the rest of us under wraps. “If you want to be considered for the spot, tell Camp before next Wednesday.”

I felt this sudden urge to run up to Camp and tell him that I wanted to be co-captian, but why would he choose a freshman who’d never played soccer before on a team? To be one hundred percent honest, he probably wouldn’t if he were the only one with say. He’d probably just have Devyn be captain and co-captain, but that would practically eliminate the need of a co-captain. So I kept my mouth shut and finished the first day of tryouts. Camp worked us through drills so slowly so everyone could get it down, but I managed to catch on fast, and had the routine down not even 10 minutes after we started.

Devyn walked over to me, kicking a ball around with his feet. He seemed surprised that I was already done with the drills. “You weren’t on the youth team at all were you? If you were, I’m sorry but I honestly don’t recognize you at all…” He asked, slowly trailing off the last few words. I gave him this look as if to imply I had no idea what he was on about, so I simply said, “I’ve never played soccer before,” and continued staring at the ball next to my foot. I did manage to convince Camp to let me use the ball I wanted in the first place however, and the ball was nearly perfect for me. The closer I examined it, the more I realized how flawed it was. But it was those flaws that made it right for me.

“Well sorry to say this, but you can’t be telling the truth right now. How could you’ve finished the drills and checked with Camp to be sure you did them right if you’ve never played before?” Devyn hadn’t been looking at me, I could tell that much, but I hadn’t been able to tell where he was looking. It was either off in space, or he was just not paying attention to anything.

 

“I just tend to catch on to things easily. It’s just like with guitar. I picked one up at a music store, had never played before, and with the aid of a book I managed to play Jane Doe by NeverShoutNever within 10 minutes of sitting there. My mom bought me the guitar the minute I finished playing. I started singing soon after that. I just pick things up and it only takes me a few minutes to learn something, if I really want to do it,” I glanced over, hoping he wouldn’t think I was weird because of that.

 

“That’s really cool. I wish it were that simple for me. I started soccer when I was 4 and it took me until I was in seventh grade to make captain. If you stick with this, and you’re just as good under pressure, I’ll definitely suggest you for co-captain. That is, if you want to be co-captain,” Devyn glanced up at me with a look of hope in his eyes. Looking back over at the field where Camp was still helping the …slower people at tryouts, I could tell Devyn didn’t have much hope for this year’s team. Not many people from the team last year were here for try outs. I was assuming that they didn’t have to try out again, but according to Camp, no one’s spot was secure; You had to try out every year. I decided it would be best for everyone if I was co-captain, so I told Devyn I’d appreciate his help in convincing Camp and Coach to choose me.

 

“Well, practice is almost over, so I’m gonna go head back to Camp and tell him I have a few prospects for co-captain this year,” Devyn whispered as he shot over to the assistant coach to do just that. I could see the look of surprise when Camp heard what Devyn had said. Soon, Devyn was pointing at me and camp had a very confused look on his face, but I noticed him nodding his head, as if he could see what Devyn was getting at. When Devyn noticed I was looking over at him and camp, he waved furiously while grinning ear to ear.

Camp called everyone back together and boomed over the group that he had an important announcement to make to us, “I’d forgotten to mention a few details. Right after Daily Doubles, as in two days after, we will go to unity camp, and we’re going to need some sort of entertainment, so I want to know, how would you guys like Oliver to play guitar and sing at the camp fire?”

I was stuck aghast when he proposed such an idea! I had never sang in front of this big of a group before! And what would I sing! Oh god. This would be horrible if they all said yes. And with my luck, they all said just that, in unison at that! I was worried no one was going to like my voice, and that they were gonna all make fun of me afterwards, but by the look on Devyn’s face after Camp was finished speaking, I knew he was the one behind this evil plan. But by his eyes, it wasn’t so much evil, instead it was a devious way to get to hear my skills. I glared at him, but agreed to be the camp fire entertainment for unity camp if I made it that far. Camp made it known I most likely wasn’t getting cut from the team. Seems like I was stuck with this.

After the details of unity camp were worked out Camp dismissed us to go get changed and head out. In other words, practice was over. I headed straight to the bathroom after grabbing my clothes and hurriedly changed back. When I walked out of the stall, I managed to bump right into Devyn, who was in nothing but his boxers. This was not good.

“What were you doing in there? Don’t most people get changed in the locker room, not the bathroom?” Devyn gave me a questioning glance. This was definitely not good. I stumbled over my words for a good two minutes before Devyn caught on, “OH! You’re self conscious in the locker room aren’t you? You did say you hadn’t done soccer before. Have you ever done any sport?”

“…..n-n-no..” I stammered out, clenching my eyes and mouth shut. I definitely should not have said that.

 

“Well it’s not that big of a deal. Just make sure you don’t let the other guys catch you changing in here. They’d make it out to be a way bigger deal than it is.” Devyn glanced over at the clock on the wall and let out an exasperated sigh, “I have to get going, my mom will be worried sick if I’m not home by 6.”

I watched him walk away, wondering what the hell just happened. Did Devyn Cloud just tell me being self conscious was okay? Whatever, I didn’t care what he thought anyway, he was just a stupid junior.



© 2012 imfucking-in-an-elevator


Author's Note

imfucking-in-an-elevator
this is a lot of introducing and developing of characters.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on July 2, 2012
Last Updated on July 2, 2012


Author

imfucking-in-an-elevator
imfucking-in-an-elevator

Wonderland, WA



About
i'm leon. genderfluid. 16. generally a bad kid. more..

Writing