The journey begins.

The journey begins.

A Chapter by Kayo
"

'She smiled, "what, freaky guy I don't know who suddenly comes up to me and introduces himself?" She asked. "Well, how else are people supposed to make friends?" He asked, smiling back...'

"

The ship loomed over Lillith, casting a large dark shadow over the dock. She took a deep breath and looked over to the boarding plank, were people were beginning to board the ship. Taking another deep breath, she started walking towards it. Hitching her backpack up her shoulder, she took one last look at her home of Ebrak before boarding.

 

She look aroun, wondering where to go now. She'd never travelled on a public ship like this before. She always used to travel on her father's ship with him, and she hadn't travelled since he passed away.

 

She looked over to where everyone seemed to be going. They were all headed down below deck. She followed behind a blonde woman, not much taller than herself.

On her way below deck, she started thinking about the times her and her father had travelled by ship. They used to travel regularly, just for a sport. She remembered she used to love standing at the edge of the ship, dangling her arms over, watching the waves crash against each other. She loved the water spraying her face, and the wind whipping her hair behind her. She loved the feeling of being free.

 

Her thoughts were cut short when she came upon the steps down to the bottom deck. She decended slowly, leaving the sunlight to be replaced by the dim light of the lamps hanging from the ceiling. Ducking to avoid bumping into a lamp, she glanced around to see if there were any spare hammocks. Spotting one at the back, she made a beeline for it, dodging past people and luggage. She sat on the edge of the hammock and took her backpack off, then bagan to rummage through it. She found what she was looking for, a small black leather notepad and a inky fountain pen, and then put her backpack in the spare cupboard next to the hammock. Swinging her legs over, she made herself comfortable and opened the book to a folded page. Taking the lid off of her pen, she began to write.

 

October 15, 2001.

I've just boarded the ship to Kiota. I'm really nervous. I've never travelled by public ship before. It all seems OK so far - although the deck is very crowded and noisy. And I'm surrounded by a load of people I don't know... this should be enjoyable.

I'm scared of getting to Errol and finding out where Clairessa is. Well, I guess I'm not really scared, more nervous for meeting Clairessa again... It's been what, eight years since I last saw her? So long. I wonder if she'll still recognize me after all these years? Will I recognize her?

Most of all, I guess I'm scared she'll run away from me again... I know she does it because she thinks it's the right thing to do. But I don't want her to run... how can I let her know that? She won't listen to me-- she'll run to protect me again... I don't know, I guess I'll worry about it when I get there. For now, I have a two week journey on a very cramped boat to think about.

I'll write more later, I think I'll go back on top deck for a bit. I can at least pretend it's like the old boat trips we used to take... Me, Claire, dad, mum and Isabella...

 

She sighed, and folded the page over before shutting the book. Opening the cupboard next to the hammock, she threw the book and pen in and closed it. Swinging her legs over the edge, she jumped off the hammock and made her way towards the step leading out into the sunlight.

 

Once she was out on the main deck, she headed over to the left side. She looked out onto the sea, then laid her arms out on the wooden edge. Resting her chin on her arms, she looked down at the crashing waves. Enjoying the spray of seawater on her face and the feel of the wind in her hair, she closed her eyes.

 

"Lillith, Lillith!" Isabella shrieked happily, letting out a high-pitched giggle as she ran into her big sister's arms. "Lillith! Take me near the water!" She yelled, giggling again, wrapping her arms around Lillith and resting her chin on her shoulder.

"OK, OK," Lillith replied, her arms holding Isabella up. She walked to the edge of her father's boat and propped Isabella on the large wooden edge. Keeping a tight hold of her, she smiled.

"Lillith, Lillith, I can see the waves!" Isabella yelled, shrieking with glee again. "I can feel the water on my face!"

Lillith smiled, then picked Isabella up again. "Come on Bells, you can't stay there. It's dangerous." She put her down on the floor and smiled as Isabella went running off towards her mother.

Clairessa came up and stood next to Lillith, looking at the sky. "Beautiful, isn't it?"
"Huh?"
"The sky, the sea, all of this. It's beautiful, isn't it?"
"Yeah," Lillith replied honestly. "Yeah, it really, really is."

"I never want this to end," Claire said. "I wish we could stay on this boat forever, just drifting out at sea, not a care in the world."
"So do I," Lillith agreed. "Not a care in the world. Sounds good."
"Sure does, Lil. It sure does."

 

Lillith was awoken from her thoughts by a tap on her shoulder. She turned to come face to face with some guy she'd never met before. She looked him up and down. He was about 6"3, with a nicely toned body. He had rich sky blue eyes and dark brown hair, with a side fringe that swept just left, just above his eye. She noticed on his right arm, he had a tribal tattoo, which wound around from his shoulder down to his elbow.

"Hi," he said, once again breaking Lillith out of her thoughts.
'Hi," she replied.

"I'm Phyro. Nice to meet you. And you are?" He stuck his hand out for her to shake. She grasped it and shook, "I'm Lillith."

"Lillith. Nice name," he replied. "What brings you to this ship?" He asked, standing next to her, resting his hands on the edge, he looked out to the horizon.

"I'm travelling to Errol," she replied. "To..." She hesitated, "to visit someone, who might be able to help me find my sister. It's a long story."
"Nice," Phryo replied.

"And you?"
"I was feeling adventurous," he looked at her. "And this was the only boat available, so I decided to get on this one."
She nodded, her eyes fixed on the waves crashing below her.

"Who are you going to visit?"
"A... a friend of mine," she said. "Nothing special."

"Fair enough." He looked back out to the sea, before looking back to her. "You're the only person on this ship I've seen who doesn't look like they want to kill themselves."
She laughed, "oh, believe me, I probably would if I could."

He smiled, "why?"

"Because I know absolutely no one!" She exclaimed, smiling. She looked at him. "This is the first time I've travelled by public boat."
"Seriously?" He asked, shocked.

"Seriously!" She replied, "I always travelled on my father's ship."
"Why aren't you now?" He asked, leaning his right arm on the edge of the boat, facing her. She turned to face him properly.

"He passed away eight years ago," she replied. "Haven't travelled since."
His eyes filled with guilt, "oh God, I'm sorry... I didn't know..."

She laughed, "it's OK. How were you to know?" She looked back at the waves for a few moments, before looking back at him.

"Well, you know someone now," he said, smiling.

"Oh, and who's that?"
"Me, of course."
She smiled, "what, freaky guy I don't know who suddenly comes up to me and introduces himself?" She asked.

"Well, how else are people supposed to make friends?" He asked, smiling back.

"Fair enough." She smiled. "I'm glad I finally know someone."
"Me too." He looked back to the stairs leading to the bottom deck, then looked up at the sky. The sun was just about to set, and the sky had turned a beautiful mixture of red and purple.

"Oh hey, look at that. Just in time to watch the sunset." He commented, looking at Lillith. He held his hand out, "may I ask you to watch the sunset with me, beautiful lady?" He asked, winking.

She placed her hand in his, giggling. "Why yes you may, good sir." She replied. He kissed her hand and she giggled, smiling. Phyro turned back to look at the sunset. She giggled to herself and looked out to the sunset too, glancing at him every now and then.

She had a feeling this trip wouldn't be so bad after all.



© 2011 Kayo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
Added on August 2, 2010
Last Updated on February 13, 2011


Author

Kayo
Kayo

United Kingdom



About
Hi I'm Rachel, I'm 14 and I love to write. I looked up this site after a friend reccommended it. I'm hoping that I'll fit in here and people will like what little work I have :D I hope one day to be a.. more..

Writing
Do you love me? Do you love me?

A Poem by Kayo


I'm sorry. I'm sorry.

A Poem by Kayo