Chapter 2: Midnight Rift Raft

Chapter 2: Midnight Rift Raft

A Chapter by Lexstasy

   There's something about the night air something exhilarating. The side walk is dark except for the patches of yellow light cast by street lamps overhead. Wendy's is close but now's not the time for chicken nuggets and stolen water cups. That's more Sam's thing. Right now I need to be outside. I need to think. I find my feet headed to a familiar place. It stands like a giant winding labyrinth, well maybe if you were a second grader. It doesn't do David Bowie justice. In all reality it's just a parking garage.

 

   Sam and I would come here when the two of us would sneak out. We'd climb to the top and just take it all in. Sometimes he'd get out his stuff and we'd light up. I remember blowing the smoke into the air and watching it drift away. it was weightless, easily blending into the sky until it couldn't be seen. The cool air gave my veins a slight icy feeling to them but other than that I was just numb. My mind was clear except for my internal conflicts and thoughts.

 

   Four stories of dimly lit winding concrete lay before me. What an adventure. I could take the stair to the top but I decided I was up for the journey. This place had a certain feel to it. It was only about a year old so it wasn't soiled with homeless piss or riddled with graffiti. Trash lay scattered in enough places but it was generally clean. There wasn't a car in sight. It was always empty at this time excluding some young rift raft at the top just chilling or looking to party. As far as I could tell though I was the only rift raft tonight.

 

   I took in a feeling of comfort from its surrounding walls and solitude. I wasn't the best kid in the world, but I certainly wasn't the worst either. I got in trouble with my parents like any other kid sure, but it's not like I had a track record. I managed a B average in school no shinning gold stars for me. I wasn't teachers pet and I didn't have a frequent visitors membership to the principals office. I stayed under the radar for the most part. I wasn't good at sports and hadn't mastered an instrument. I'm sure I'd be just a step above Seamus Finnigan if I ever got into Hogwarts.


   A smile forms on my lips. I inwardly laugh at my own lame comparison. How I wished things like magic existed or that I myself could wield them. Curse my muggle blood colloquial and unenchanted. If I had been born into the world of Harry Potter I'd leave this place, if only just for now. I'd mount my broom and take off. I close my eyes and play the sight in my head. It's nearly tangible. Despite my best efforts my feet stay firmly planted on the ground. I must be satisfied with the magic of my own  reality instead of weaving false tales in my mind.


   I take a deep breath in. The cold rushes into my lungs and grabs me. Ecstasy. There are a few things that exist in this world all on their own, without magic. Truly beautiful things that I would never trade for anything. Like ice running in my veins. Don't get me wrong I've spent my fair share of time inebriated, but no drug can compare to the natural highs nature can give.


   After a moment I open my eyes. Solitude has left me feeling somewhat at peace for now. My boat rests on the calm waters but any good sailor knows what lurks beneath. I've  lived my life long enough to know that the words and the hate and the memories can't be wiped clean like the tide does the sand.


   But now's not the time to focus on the idiocies of my family. I'm free from them if only for a short time. And so once again my feet start moving. I watch the ground beneath me pass, grease spots and gum marks spend only seconds in my line of sight. My path is winding and monotonous but not unwanted. The walk up is like a blur and soon I'm near the top. The first pieces of night sky come into view.


   The expanse of twinkling blue grows in front of me until my vision is consumed. I pause to stare at the heavens. A wonder so magnificent it can be seen from anywhere in the world. And yet so many over look it. The human race is sad and misguided.


   An unseen object scrapes against the ground. I stop to listen but the sound is not repeated. Concluding that it is nothing more than a a piece of liter inhabiting our city like an urban tumble weed, i dismiss it. The pavement curves to the left three times more to create a half level and I follow the first two to the ledge. There is a car in the Wendy's drive through idling at the menu. The driver's arm dangles out the window, its body concealed behind the metal roof of the vehicle.


   The scrape is repeated again. My head turns to my left. There is a small black mass in the shadows that I can barely make out. The figure shifts and my breath catches in my throat. Two piercing blue eyes stare at me.


   I'm not alone.



© 2012 Lexstasy


Author's Note

Lexstasy
Very rough copies of everything

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

THIS IS HARLEY!!
A. who's Jane and Jeffery?
B. SENTENCE VARIATION
c. also i believe rift raft is rift-raft (with a hyphen)
D. I like it :P however, you might wanna clarify what the "stuff" is so it doesn't seem like they're smoking crack lol.
or cigarettes.
...or crackers.
E. also (again) what's the difference between Dominic and Sam? are they two different people? Or could you just not pick between the two lol

:D

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
1 Review
Added on November 6, 2010
Last Updated on August 22, 2012


Author

Lexstasy
Lexstasy

AZ



About
I'm Lex. I don't write much, but I love reading the creativity that flows from others! :) more..

Writing
Investment Investment

A Poem by Lexstasy