Wings of Paper - Chapter 22

Wings of Paper - Chapter 22

A Chapter by A.L.
"

The Hero Returns

"

I’d like to say I was a strong and sturdy person for my friends to lean on. 

But in reality I simply went pale and my knees buckled. I dropped to the ground with only Alex to catch me. 

Seeing Hiro’s nameplate just solidified his death. Before I had held out hope that he had survived or I could fix him. Save him. But now, seeing his name carved into a silver name tag next to a shaggy tree it felt permanent. 

There was no coming back from this. 

Sadie didn’t remember who Hiro was, of course. I could sense that she was confused yet she seemed to understand that this was important to us. 

I sniffed once before pulling myself together. I wouldn’t let my friends keep seeing me like this, especially when I was supposed to be leading them. I straightened up, trying to ignore the sinking feeling in my gut. 

“We should keep going,” Alex said softly. 

“I want to pay my respects,” Kenzie spoke quietly. She sounded both angry and sad. I stood between Alex and Sammy as Kenzie knelt before the tree. It was probably the best grave that Hiro would get. 

She whispered something that I couldn’t understand and then she placed her hands on the bark of the tree, humming a sweet song. 

I was surprised when tiny vines sprouted from the ground and began to form a ball. Slowly, they died away revealing a small, golden crown that looked like it would fit a child's head. Kenzie’s hands trembled as she stood, hanging the crown in one of the branches of the tree. She took a step back, wiped her eyes while sniffling, and then turned to face us. 

“How did you do that?” Alex breathed. 

Kenzie didn’t smile or even act proud. Her voice was low. “It wasn’t me, it was his tree. I could sense his thoughts in a way. He brought me the crown and I helped him wear it.” 

“Did … did he say anything else?” My voice was softer than a whisper. 

“It’s not really him,” Kenzie responded, sending a reluctant glance back at the tree. “But his spirit lingers in this world. He said don’t dwell on the past. And don’t be afraid. And…” Her voice trailed off and I understood that the last part of Hiro’s message had just been for Kenzie, not for the rest of us. 

“It’s fine,” Alex assured her. “We’re fine. We’re all still together, right? So let’s keep moving - we have a big day ahead of us.” 


I hated the Darkness and I hated myself for being so pessimistic I created it in the first place. 

We stopped to rest in the afternoon just as it started to rain. The drops were thick and heavy, soaking everything in their path. It reminded Sadie of blood, which she said loudly and caused a shudder to roll through Kenzie. 

Luckily, Alex found us a spot to rest in an abandoned guards facility not too far off the path. 

We had followed a dirt road for about a few miles or so before the rain had hit. The road started about a mile past the back half of the Forest of the Fallen, stretching and winding through several horse stables and cottages. Every single one was empty. 

The guard facility was from Hiro’s kingdom and it had obviously been empty for a while before we came along. We restocked our weapons and food, Sammy and Kenzie both grabbing a bow and some arrows from the back. There were barracks along the stone outer walls, which we decided to occupy until the rain slowed. 

That was when we heard the noises.

I couldn’t tell what they were - shrieks, screams, or voices. Kenzie froze and Sammy paused, sharpening his sword so he could listen. 

“Animals?” Alex mouthed. 

Kenzie and Sammy shook their heads. Sadie went to stand but Sammy yanked her down and rolled her under one of the beds. Sadie didn’t protest. 

I dropped to the floor as well, and Alex, Sammy, and Kenzie followed my movements. 

It was dark and stinky under the beds, the floor dusty. But it was better than possibly being seen. 

Footsteps. They were definitely voices. That’s when I noticed one of our knives still lying in the middle of the floor. I met Sammy’s panicked eyes and he sent a pointed glance at Sadie, who was covering her mouth. 

I was about to reach for the blade when there was the sound of a door opening. 

The room we had chosen as ours was long and skinny, bunk beds lining each wall. The beds had identical blue sheets but the pictures on the walls showed that people had lived here. There was clothing under some of the beds, like the facility had been abandoned in a hurry. 

More footsteps. I spotted boots approaching out of the corner of my vision. Sadie trembled under the bed beside me. 

The boots weren’t large, perhaps a young adult or child. I saw about seven more pairs of feet behind Boots, but it was obvious that he was the leader. Boots took a few cautious steps forward. 

I tried to silence my breathing, to be so quiet I just ceased to be here. It didn’t work. 

Boots kicked the knife and it clattered across the floor loudly. I felt any hope of our escape leave me. 

Boots bent over, picking up the knife. I couldn’t make out his face or anything about him due to the hood pulled over his head. His skin was blackened like all of the other Dark Warriors. I could tell he was inspecting the knife. 

“What is it, sir?” one of the other Warriors asked. Sir? Boots was definitely the leader of their mini group. 

Boots’s voice sounded familiar when he spoke, but I couldn’t put my finger on who it belonged to. “Where’s Bronwyn? She’s an expert tracker and I need her advice.” Tiny feet stepped forward towards Boots. 

Brownyn sounded familiar too and I realized that I had heard the name from the woman in the town where we fought Dee the first time. Brownyn was her missing child, and obviously the girl hadn’t made it out alive. 

When Brownyn spoke her voice was soft and airy, not at all what I would expect of a dead girl. “It has definitely been in the hands of people other than us in the past two days.” 

“This facility was abandoned nearly three weeks ago,” Boots thought to himself. “Mistress said that the children would stop here. Brownyn, look around and see if you can find any signs of them.” 

I drew in a breath. If Bronwyn looked under the beds she would find us and we were in no way ready to fight. 

“Yes, sir,” Bronwyn said. I watched her tiny feet trek across the room. She occasionally stopped and moved the blankets on the bed. No one moved, but I watched Sadie’s terrified eyes track the movement of Bronwyn. 

Boots tapped his foot impatiently and Bronwyn made her way back to him.

Yes, I thought to myself, there’s no one here. Just leave and make your way far, far away from here. They were just about to leave when there was a grunt from one of the other Warriors. 

“Sir, I smell something,” a gruff voice mumbled. 

Boots paused. I could hear the sound of several people sniffing loudly. “I smell nothing,” Boots responded unhappily. 

“Sir, I can smell it too,” Bronwyn responded. I groaned inwardly. We were as good as dead. “There is someone in the facility, I can smell their stench.” She paused again, like she was getting a reading of us from our smell. “There’s five of them - two elves, a human, and two others that I can’t place.” 

“Where are they?” Boots asked. 

“They’re here, in this very room,” Bronwyn said, her voice barely a whisper. 

Before I even had time to react I saw feet heading in my direction. An ugly, deformed face peered at me from under the bed. The man grabbed me by my shirt collar and yanked me into the open. I could hear Kenzie and Sammy struggling against their captors and Sadie’s soft weeping, but I knew the Warriors would have no mercy. 

I forced myself to still as the Warrior pinned my arms behind my back, holding me tightly as he wrapped a thick rope around my arms. 

The cloaked figure stepped forward, boots thumping on the ground as he chuckled to himself. “Oh my, this is just too good. Mistress will be very pleased, oh so very pleased. I can’t even…” he erupted in a fit of giggles. 

“What’s so funny?” Sammy spat, his voice harsh as he struggled against his bonds. 

“It’ll be funny when I disembowel him,” Kenzie retorted, her voice just as steely. “Funny for me, at least.” 

“There will be no disemboweling me,” Boots snorted. “Though I appreciate the sentiment. But I do not believe that you could bear to kill a person such as myself.” He waited as if expecting one of us to challenge that. 

“I would kill you without hesitation,” Kenzie snarled. “You work with Dee.” 

Boots shrugged, his face still masked by the hood. Something was wrong, terribly wrong. Why was he talking and not killing us? Why where the hood? And why did he seem so familiar? 

“How much would you like to bet on that?” Boots asked, crossing his arms. 

Kenzie didn’t hesitate. “I’d bet our freedom on your death by my hands,” Kenzie replied. I immediately wanted to tell her to shut up. She was making a mistake, but I just didn’t know what. 

“Wait,” I began, but someone tied a gag in my mouth. I tried to spit out the cloth but someone slapped my head so hard I saw stars. 

“Luke!” Alex cried, but a gag was shoved in her mouth too, followed by Sadie and then Sammy. Only Kenzie remained unharmed. I could see what was happening, Kenzie and Boots would duel for our freedom. 

And as much as I didn’t want to admit it, Boots had the upper hand. He had an element of surprise I had yet to figure out. 

“Give the girl a sword and bring the others to the dining hall. We will fight and I will feast in honor of my victory,” Boots decided. Arms lifted me up and carried me to this supposed dining hall. 

I was plopped down on a bench, though not gently. The floor was cleared so that Boots and Kenzie could fight. Kenzie’s hands were untied and someone handed her a flimsy looking sword. Wait … the Warriors hadn’t thought to disarm us! Kenzie probably had other weapons concealed on her, and so did I. 

I felt around in my pockets until I found a sheathed knife. I elbowed Alex and met her eyes. She somehow understood and began to fumble for her own knife. 

But just then Boots stepped into the ring, a shield and sword glinting. He took a step forward but Kenzie shook her head. “Only a coward would fight covering their face. Are you afraid to lose?” 

“Hardly,” replied Boots with what I could assume was a sick smile under the hood. 

“Then fight like a man!” Kenzie demanded, slamming her blade against Boot’s so hard that sparks flew. 

Boots staggered backwards, still grinning. “As you wish, milady.” 

He pulled off the hood and I gasped, my stomach sinking like rocks in a river. No, it couldn’t be. 

Kenzie stumbled backwards like she’d been hit. 

Hiro grinned, his smile glinting with devilish intentions. “You said it yourself, Kenzie darling. You said you would kill me without hesitation. So let us fight to the death.” 


Kenzie was an amazing fighter - even I would admit that. In fact, even if I was armed to the teeth and she was defenseless she could probably still beat me. 

But Hiro revealing the Dark Warrior version of himself had distracted her and thrown her off her game. Kenzie barely managed to parry most of his strikes and she was stuck on defense. 

Alex and I were working desperately on our ropes. The cord dug into my wrists, rubbing the skin raw. I strained for the knife in my pocket, fingers grazing the sheath. Darn, I was so close to getting it but my fingers weren’t quite long enough. I kept stretching anyway. As for Kenzie… 

“Just die already,” Kenzie spat as she dodged another blow. 

Hiro laughed in response, twirling his sword as he thrust it towards her. Kenzie did a little side hop spin to avoid it. 

It was entertaining to watch them fight - or it would’ve been if my life wasn’t on the line. 

Alex elbowed me (not very discreetly but everyone was too busy watching Hiro and Kenzie to notice) and I realized she was already untied. I gave her a slight nod and she set to work sawing my ropes. Sammy met my eyes, but he was still struggling with his ropes. With a gag in my mouth there was little I could do to reassure him. 

Hiro was pressing Kenzie further back against a wall. She was dodging him still but her attempts were half hearted and she was tiring whereas Hiro barely seemed affected. 

Alex had me freed by now and my bonds snapped off. I reached for my sword but Alex shook her head. Kenzie wouldn’t want me to step into her fight unless she absolutely needed it. Which I was sure she would. 

Hiro had Kenzie completely cornered now. But instead of killing her, his sword twisted at the last second and the flat of the blade hit her in the chest. Kenzie crumpled, out of breath and bruised. Hiro shook his head like something had come over him and he raised his sword, preparing to deliver the final blow. 

My feet ran without my permission. I don’t know how I managed to make it, but I skidded to a stop just as Hiro prepared to bring down his sword. There were sparks and some cursing from Hiro but I darted away as he lunged for me. 

The gag was still in my mouth but I felt it fall away and burn into ashes a few moments later. Sadie or Sammy must have burnt it for me. 

Hiro seemed surprised at my attack but the element gave time for Kenzie to limp away. All of Hiro’s Warrior friends were too distracted by me to get their weapons so when Alex leapt to her feet and began to fight they were a bit surprised. 

Hiro ran at me, his sword outwards like he expected to spear me. I attempted the move Kenzie had done and managed to pull it off with limited success. Although Hiro didn’t skewer me, I lost my balance. I fell into one of the tables, landing hard on the ground. Hiro advanced on me and I scrambled backwards, reaching for my sword. 

My fingers grabbed the hilt and I leapt to my feet as Hiro lunged. I avoided his attack by mere inches and jumped onto one of the tables before jumping towards Hiro. It was a stupid move on my part because Hiro slashed at my stomach. 

I flailed at the thought of being cut and my sneaker ended up in Hiro’s face. The boy stumbled backwards, nursing a bloody nose. 

I took the opportunity to glance and make sure my friends were okay. Alex and Sammy were fighting side by side against about four of the men. The other three were trying to get at Sadie and Kenzie. The princess was actually holding her own quite well while Kenzie stabbed where she could, still wounded. 

“Really, Luke, you think you can kill me?” Hiro scoffed, though his words were slurred from the black blood pouring down his face. 

I didn’t respond, but I knew Hiro was right. How could I kill someone with my friend’s face? My friend’s skill? How could I kill my friend? The answer was I couldn’t. And none of the others would be able to either. 

I pictured Dee’s face on Hiro’s but that was just weird because her face was mine. 

Hiro had a distinct fighting style that was mainly offensive but it still made it hard to fight him because I was stuck on defense most of the time. 

“Hiro, I know you’re still in there,” I begged, hoping it would buy me time. 

No such luck. Hiro laughed. “Hiro is gone, my Mistress took him and used him as her servant. Hiro doesn’t exist anymore.” 

“He’s still in there somewhere,” I said, unsure quite what I was getting at. But there had to be a reason why Hiro didn’t kill Kenzie when he had the chance. I had to believe he was still in there somewhere. 

“No, he’s not,” Hiro replied tartly but he didn’t sound so sure. 

There was no way I was going to pull the Sadie Stunt again and nearly get myself killed. So instead I decided I would try to get Hiro distracted enough for me to injure him. And then we could run away. 

“You didn’t kill Kenzie,” I tried. 

“Bah, I tried to spare her and make her join our side,” Hiro snorted, but he sounded shaky like he didn’t believe what he was saying. 

I forced a smile, my blade clicking against Hiro’s. Sweat dripped down my forehead. 

“The real Hiro is fighting you, he’s in there somewhere,” I smirked.

“No!” Hiro replied, fighting with even harder spirit. I smiled to myself - I was getting inside his head. 

“Come back, Hiro, show us you’re still there,” I pleaded. Suddenly, I remembered a poem I had written when I had made Hiro’s mother as a character. She whispered the poem to him every night before he went to sleep, claiming it warded off nightmares. 

The stars and the moon bid you farewell. They plead that on the darkness you do not dwell. Because when the morning comes and colors of the sky spread,” I began, my voice calm, despite the emotions coursing through me. 

“The monsters will retreat under your bed,” Hiro finished, blinking slowly. “Please don’t let me die again.” He sounded scared and hurt and like a child again. 

“I’m sorry,” I apologized. 

And then I rammed my sword into my stomach and watched in pain as Hiro dissipated into light. 



© 2020 A.L.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

32 Views
Added on September 22, 2020
Last Updated on September 22, 2020
Tags: short stories, teen, young adult, fantasy, adventure, fiction, quest, darkness, heroes, castle, kingdom, imagination, doubt, confidence


Author

A.L.
A.L.

About
When I was eleven, my cousins and I sat down and decided we want to write a fifty book long series that would become an instant bestseller. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet (and I doubt it will) bu.. more..

Writing
Fatefall - 1 Fatefall - 1

A Chapter by A.L.