Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Laura Lin
"

Good guy, bad guy.

"

2

 

 

 

 

He awoke in the dark confines of his hidden sanctuary after spending the day in a dead sleep.  Sitting up, he swung his long legs over the side of the cot, curling his toes into the thick brown carpet that covered the floor, taking a moment to allow his mind to wake up.  He could just barely make out the silhouette of a chair sitting in the corner, his clothing lying out across the back of it. Standing up, he stretched his long arms above his head, smiling at the very thought of being alive, his finger tips nearly brushing the low hanging ceiling.  Once dressed, he sieved up through the floor boards to the kitchen above.  Opening the refrigerator more out of habit than necessity, he leaned heavily on the door peering at the contents inside and making an assessment of what looked good, this little act made him feel normal.

 

“Why do you do that, Ash?  You know you can’t eat any of it.”  The voice belonged to one Devon Astron, one of the few friends that Ash actually had.   They had met a few years ago during a barroom brawl.  Devon had taken great pains, literally, to protect the smaller man from being hurt.   Of course when Ash’s wounds were completely gone before the evening was over; an explanation had been in order.  The two had been best buddies ever since.

 

Devon had discovered that having a vampire as a friend had plenty of advantages, but he was careful not to abuse them.  Likewise, Ash found that he rather enjoyed having somebody to talk to after spending so many years alone. However, the one thing Ash still craved was the affection of a woman, somebody who would spend all eternity with him.  It was hard to find people who were willing to make the change, not many keen on giving up their soul for a life of damnation.  After much talking and debating Ash had devised a plan; he would simply choose his bride and take her, no questions asked.  Devon had fought him long and hard on the matter but in the end he shrugged his shoulders, knowing his friend would do what he pleased, with or without his approval.

 

“It’s comforting.” Ash simply replied after a few seconds of silence, closing the door and taking a seat at the kitchen table, his brown eyes taking everything in at once as he took up a section of the newspaper that Devon had laid aside on a stack of “read” material, “Anything interesting?”

 

“Nah, just the same old stuff.  So what are you gonna get into tonight?”  Asked Devon, not bothering to lift his eyes from the newsprint he was currently reading.

 

“I thought I’d check up on my little friend, see how she’s doing.” 

 

Devon looked over the top of the section of paper he was currently holding, his eyes focusing on the face of the ageless man sitting across from him, an obvious look of disapproval on his face. “I’m still not sure you’re taking the best approach with her, just leaving her like that.”

 

Ash held up a hand to silence his friend having heard this argument several times last night, “I told you why I’m doing it this way.” He said with an expression that left no mistake that the topic was to be put to rest.

 

Devon shook his head but refrained from saying more as he resumed reading his paper.    “Hey, look at this.”  He said after a couple of minutes, spreading the paper out on the table so his friend could see, pointing to one of the headlines on the inside page. “There’s been another robbery in the neighborhood.  That’s the third one this month.  Wonder what’s goin’ on?”

 

Ash read the write up and shook his head in disgust, “Drugs, that’s what’s going on.  Probably just a couple of punks looking to fund their habit, so much for a safe neighborhood.” 

 

“You could do something about that, you know.”  It was actually more of an accusation than an observation.  Devon had been on him for a good part of a year to start using his “special talents” to do some good but Ash didn’t like to get involved.  It was important that one of his character keep a low profile.

 

“Don’t start with that again.  If I start the Good Samaritan bit than the press will be on me and that always brings about unwanted visitors.  No thank you.”  He looked at the paper again; the victims were an elderly couple that lived a few houses down.  Nothing really remarkable about them other than they were quick to wave at passersby while doing yard work.  Nice people on all accounts of the word.  “I’m going to get cleaned up, you coming with tonight?”

 

Devon nodded his head in affirmation; he had nothing better to do anyway since he had broken up with Jaclyn, his girlfriend for the past few months. 

 

“Alright, we’ll leave in an hour, that should give you time to find something decent to wear.”  Ash walked out of the room chuckling at his little dig.  Heading upstairs to his “bedroom,” he gathered some fresh clothing before going down the hall to the shower.  Ten minutes later he emerged looking polished and well kept in a dark blue button up shirt, a white t-shirt just peeking out at the neck, and a pair of blue jeans that hugged his slender frame in an accommodating fashion.

 

Smirking Devon poured out the last of his coffee in the sink and rinsed out the cup, placing it upside down in the little drainer, his thoughts on the newly deceased neighbors.    After wiping off the counter he headed upstairs, pushing the heavy topics of the paper out of his mind as he put on a fresh shirt and combed down his unruly mop of dark brown hair.  He didn’t know why he bothered for it had a mind of its own, but at least he had the satisfaction of trying.

 

Ash stood waiting at the door, ready to go by the time Devon emerged from his own bedroom, a well worn denim jacket casually covering his black Adidas logo t-shirt, faded blue jeans touching the floor, the toe of his brown boots peaking out from below the hem.  They lived in a quiet little neighborhood where until recently, nothing exciting ever happened.  Ash liked it that way, reminded him of his childhood and the little town he grew up in.  “One of these days I’m going to take you clothes shopping.”  Ash teased while shaking his head at the always casual looking young man who seemed to be able to attract women simply by standing still.

 

Shaking his head at the jest, Devon, took to the steps, meeting his friend at the door, the two of them leaving the house for a night out on the town.

 

Sliding behind the wheel of the black ‘68 Mustang, Ash called out to Devon to lock up before he got in the car.  Devon of course did this without question and took a seat on the passenger side, “Let’s light up the city.”  With a cocky grin on his face, Ash put the car into gear and pulled out of the driveway the V8 engine roaring with power that would get anyone’s attention.   With the radio playing and a hunger for fun, the two steadily made their way through traffic towards the clubs and other night life joints that were to be found in down town Manhattan.

 

 

*    *    *    *    *

 

 

 

Having slept all day on the kitchen floor Alex awoke at dusk to the stench of her vomit.  Crinkling her nose against the smell, she stood up on unsteady legs to begin the arduous task of cleaning and sanitizing the kitchen to meet her perfectionist standards.  Once finished she walked mechanically to the bathroom to shower, feeling defiled by her own waste.

 

Her shower was brief, more of a mechanical gesture than one of lingering relaxation as her mind drifted over the events of yesterday.  She left the bathroom ignoring the mirror both because she didn’t wish to see herself and for fear of not seeing herself, her damp feet leaving little puddles of water across the floor leading into the bedroom.   Quickly getting dressed in a simple red t-shirt and jeans she pulled a comb through the dark blond hair that hung in wet locks against her skin and slipped on a pair of checked Vans tennis shoes.  Hungry, she grabbed her keys and purse and headed out the door, intent on finding food, knowing there was nothing to be had in the tiny apartment.

 

Stopping briefly to check the mail, she sorted through it, throwing away the junk and shoving the rest down into her purse before stepping out into the cool night air.   She briefly contemplated going back up to get a jacket but was too lazy to do so, shrugging off the chill she began to walk down the street looking for a decent place to eat.  As she navigated the still crowded sidewalk, Alex was acutely aware of the sound of pulsing blood through veins.  Her green eyes shifted wearily from side to side as she looked at people in suspicion, her steps picking up pace in an urgent need to escape the phenomenon.  Stopping inside a standing room only deli, she ordered a tuna sub and diet coke. She stood against the wall, waiting patiently for the order to be filled, closing her eyes in an attempt to gain control of her senses, afraid she was on the brink of a nervous break down.  She could still vividly hear the swishing of blood coursing through the server’s veins ringing ever louder in her pierced ears, a sound that both repulsed and oddly comforted her at the same time. 

 

“That’ll be $5.23, miss.”  The uniformed clerk standing behind the cash register said in a loud enough voice to rouse the silent girl, her lids snapping open as she stepped forward, pulling a ten out of her purse and laying it down upon the yellow counter with a mumbled word of thanks.  Stuffing the four singles and some odd cents into her pants’ pocket, she left the deli in a rush to escape the pounding heart beat of the man who furrowed his brow at the odd behavior, assuming she was high on something.

 

Crossing the busy street, she walked through the park until she found a quite spot and took a seat on a wooden bench overlooking the lake.  At last the sound of pulsing blood was gone and she sighed with relief as the tranquility of the water calmed her frayed nerves.  Mouth watering in anticipation, Alex placed the soda can on the bench, focusing her attention on unwrapping the sandwich that was balanced precariously on her lap.  Taking a bite, she sighed with satisfaction but the joy was short lived for almost instantly the food seemed to turn to ash in her mouth.  Quickly spitting the partially chewed food out onto the ground, she flung the remainder of the sub from her as if it were something vile.  What small bits of food she had managed to swallow was causing an agonizing pain within her similar to what she had experienced last night in the kitchen. 

 

Within minutes she was leaning over, one hand holding back her hair as the other rested on her knee as she vomited into the green grass at her feet, once again emptying her stomach until there was nothing left but pain and dry heaves.  Alex leaned back on the bench and closed her eyes, waiting for the pain to subside while her body trembled and quaked with fear and the strain of being sick.  Dark circles lined her tired eyes, her pale complexion only accentuating her sickly state.   Again she had the feeling that she was loosing her mind, sinking ever deeper into some dark nightmare with no hope of ever returning.

             

 

 

*    *    *    *    *

 

 

 

“How long are you going to let her go on like that?”  Devon asked with a perplexed look on his usually cheery face.

 

“Until she’s completely broken,” Ash replied coldly as he watched the girl collapse onto the bench.  “I think by tomorrow night, she’ll be ready for us, especially if she keeps this up.”  He gave a cruel chuckle, leaning back into the grass and looking up at the night sky.  “It’s a shame that the city lights block out the stars.”

 

Devon looked at his friend with a mixture of disgust and wonder, knowing enough not to argue about the treatment of the girl, his mind was set, there was no point in pressing the matter.


© 2010 Laura Lin


Author's Note

Laura Lin
all feedback is welcomed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on October 20, 2010
Last Updated on October 20, 2010


Author

Laura Lin
Laura Lin

Princeton , WV



About
I am a mother of three, Wal~Mart employee, and new indie author. Other than writing, I enjoy photography, geocaching, and spending time with my kids. more..

Writing
Thomas P. Scott Thomas P. Scott

A Chapter by Laura Lin