Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by LSCC2686
"

In the first chapter you start out in Chicago learning about the main character John Randall McClellan. He is a high priced defense attorney. Who only has a few select clients mainly the Mafia. After this chapter John's life takes a sudden turn that leads

"

 

            It was another bitter cold morning in Chicago, with a fresh four inches of snow on the ground from the previous night’s storm. This was a common occurrence John McClellan had grown used to; after seven years of living in this small country called Chicago. It was 4:15 in the morning, John’s usual time to get up and start his day, but today was different than most. Today in just six short hours he must deliver the most important close of his young life, in the biggest case this city has seen since the days of Al Capone.

 

            John finished his second cup of coffee and proceeded to gather his armor and weaponry to prepare for the days battle. He stepped out of his high rent down town penthouse and onto the quiet streets of early morning Chicago, as was his practice to leave early, to beat the rush hour traffic. He loved the early morning air and the sounds of the city coming to life. His life growing up on a farm in the Mississippi Delta seemed to have prepared him these early risings. It was a life he has tried to get away from but to no avail. The young hero, made his way through the downstairs lobby of his fifty-story office building passing by Leon.

 

“Good morning Mr. McClellan” replied Leon just as he had everyday for the past seven years.

 

“Good morning, Leon. How did you do last night?”

 

“Not to bad Mr. McClellan, I gained a six point lead on everybody in the office pool.”

 

“Well looks like this will be the third year in a row that you have won the basketball pool. I sure could use some luck like that today.”  The elevator doors came open and John was off to prepare his final statements.

 

 

            There was something he loved about the early morning and the smell of the office as he entered by himself each day. Something fresh and exilerating about the challenges lying ahead and today was no different. He went straight to the kitchen like always and started the coffee brewing. As he entered his corner office, with one of the best views of downtown and Lake Michigan in the entire city, he did what he always did. He turned on the computer, unlocked his file cabinet, and turned off his phone. Now he was ready to prepare for his closing arguments one last time. As he sat down at his desk, he pulled out the file from his briefcase in which he had dedicated his last six months of life to. It was United States Government vs. Anthony Salvatore Olivetti. Anthony Salvatore Olivetti was better known to the city of Chicago as “ Anthony the Great” because he ruled the Olivetti crime family with an iron fist.

 

            The government felt like they had an airtight case against Mr. Olivetti when they arrested and charged him with fraud, raqueteering, and tax evasion for the third time in seven years.

“ This case is a sure thing this time.” Boasted the Chicago District Attorney.

“ Mr. Olivetti, or should I call him ‘Anthony the Great’ will never see the light of day when I get done with him.”

But the tide had turned again as it had the two previous times he had attempted to convict Mr. Olivetti. With this in mind, John began to fine-tune his closing arguments. This should have been old hat for John by now; considering how many times he had been in the situation before with Mr. Olivetti or one of his business partners, but there was always something exciting right before each closing argument and this time was no different.

 

            John was suddenly startled by the sudden knock on his office door.

“ Come on in,” he said as he looked up to see what time it was. He was shocked to see that it was already a quarter to 8:00 as Maggie entered his office. Maggie was his secretary and also someone he occasionally dated; even though it was strictly against office policy.

“ Good morning, John I just wanted to let you know I was here and to see if you needed me to get you anything?”

“ No, I’m fine”

“ Wait on second thought I could use a little more coffee and also need you to call down to Leon and let him know I will need a cab in about thirty minutes.”

“ Sure no problem John I will be right back” replied Maggie.

As Maggie turned to leave the room, John could not help but admire the way her auburn hair fell along the shoulders of her perfect figure and the way she carried herself as she left. 
 

            When Maggie returned John was standing at the door with briefcase in hand. He looked like a born winner destined to conquer the world. She handed John his coffee and followed him to the elevator and told him “ Good luck.”

“ Thanks” John replied and that he would call as soon as he got his first break and down he went to the lobby. As requested, Leon had secured a taxi for the fifteen-minute ride to the Federal Building. He had hoped to get one last talk with Mr. Olivetti before they began.

 

            As he pulled up to the steps of the Federal Building, he smiled to himself as he noticed the crowd of reporters that had already gathered around the always-quotable Chicago D.A. As usual he was predicting victory even though he new this case had already been won outside the courtroom by Anthony the Great and this seethed him. John was able to advance up the steps and to the courtroom without being noticed. He found Mr. Olivetti already there waiting on him as usual he was punctual.

 

            As always Mr. Olivetti was dressed with the flare of a true gangster wide brimmed hat, black hand made three piece Italian suit with gray pinstripes, bright red tie, and black shiny leather shoes. His steel blue eyes were enough to make a man cringe without ever saying a single word. He stuck out his hand diamond pinky ring gleaming and grasped John by the shoulder.

“ Johnny boy I know you and you will always do the respectable thing,” and with that nothing was left to discuss. It was a scene straight from The Godfather it almost made him physically sick. I guess this is the price you pay for success; John wanted to be the best in his business and to be the best you had to deal with the worst. So John sucked it up grabbed his composure and replied “ Thank you Mr. Olivetti your confidence in me means everything” and with that they left together and entered the courtroom prepared for the worst hoping for the best.

 

            “All rise for the Honorable William G. Harris,” replied the bailiff. Judge Harris took the bench with his usual casualness, he had been presiding over cases in this court since the Nixon administrations first term, and he already knew the outcome of today. The rest in his eyes was only a formality. As judge Harris brought the court to order that usual feeling of anxiety and nervousness began to overtake the pit of Johns stomach. He knew the future of Chicago’s most notorious gangster lied in his hands along with his own life, and this added pressure to an already tough close. What John did not know or chose not to admit was that, this case was in the bag thanks to a few friends of “ Anthony the Great “ and juror number eight and all he had to do was perform.

            As John rose from the defendants’ table and began to make his way across the room, the jury could not help but admire him. He looked like a Greek god, an athlete in his prime, broad shoulders, tall dark hair, and even darker eyes. The suit fell perfectly on him and the face as soft and comforting as the cool side of a pillow; how could any jury resist him especially one he had hand picked. As the words flowed, that soft southern draw began to lure them in. His voice rose and fell in perfect pitch and it was clear to everyone in the courtroom he was in complete control. It was tough even for Mr. Olivetti not to smile proud of this young man he had chosen. He knew John was everything he had hoped for in an attorney and for a future business partner. As John closed his final argument and headed back across the courtroom to take his place beside “ Anthony the Great” he knew that he had just won the biggest case in his young career and he could not help but smile in satisfaction. And with the wrap of the gavel Judge Harris dismissed the jury.

 

            As they left the courtroom Mr. Olivetti asked John to join him for lunch in a little club across town that he owned but John declined. Instead he went across the street to the same little deli he had ever since his first trial in this building. So far it had paid off and he hoped that luck would continue today. As he walked in the lady behind the counter recognized him and began making his usual. “ Good afternoon John, how did it go this morning,” asked Alice.

“ We will know in a couple of hours hopefully; but I am sure victory is mine as long as I get that wonderful tuna fish on rye and that delicious ice tea.”

“ You know this is the only place in Chicago, that I have been able to find, that has ice tea like my momma’s back home” said John.

“ Well you should come by more often,” and with that John took his normal seat in the back with a view of the Federal Building and the busy Chicago sidewalks.

 

            Alice brought the young hero his ice tea and sandwich and left with out saying a word. He was on the phone with Maggie oblivious to the world around him. “Yes, John you have about twenty messages but I will just run you through the most urgent ones the rest can wait” Maggie said.

“Ok shoot.” Replied john.

“ Well Mr. Smith called, Mr. Oppenheimer from juvenile called, and also your sister do you need her new her number.” As he was contemplating the first two messages the third one was the one that bothered him most. He told Maggie to set up meetings for the first of the next and then to call his house and leave his sisters new number on his voicemail. He would call her later. As he hung up the phone he could not help but wonder what his sister wanted from him this time. It was always something money, cars, plane tickets, you name it but after the last time he had sworn to himself he was done. No good ever came out of helping his little sister especially with all her vices gambling; drinking, drugs, and he did not even want to think about anything else. He took another bite of his tuna fish and started down memory lane trying to free his mind and pass the time waiting on that ever-looming decision just across the street.

 

            Across town at the little club, club called “Palermo’s” Anthony the Great was at the bar with his crew having a celebratory drink because they already knew the outcome; and they were happy. Another round of bourbon, “ Jack Daniels Black Label” was poured into all the guys glasses as Carmine, Anthony’s nephew raised a his hand to make a toast. He started by saying “ we drink this fine southern bourbon home today to honor Anthony the Great,” a little chuckle let loose amongst the guys because only the media called Don Olivette that name, “and his southern man of honor in another victorious battle with the feds, may he live forever salute,” as the crew replied back “salute.” After the drink Don Olivetti and his oldest friend and family consciliary retired to his office in the back to discuss their future plans for John Randle McClellan and his family inheritance.

 

            It was almost 4:30 in the afternoon when John’s cell phone rang. It was the court clerk letting him know that the jury had reached a decision and Judge Harris wanted to hear it today. So John called Mr. Olivetti to let him know he was needed back in court by 5:00 p.m. John finished off his last glass of iced tea and settled the bill with Alice and headed back across the street to await the verdict. As usual five minutes before five Anthony Salvatore Olivetti and his Limousine pulled to the sidewalk of the Federal Building. He emerged from the limo like a king triumphant from his most recent conquers. Deep down John wished he had half the confidence that Mr. Olivetti possessed, but with out the moral conflict. As they took their place at the defendants table and awaited the return of Judge Harris and the jury John began to get that uneasy feeling deep in gut. He closed his eyes to ease the sickness. He felt the breath from Mr. Olivetti in his ear as he had leaned forward to tell him something. “Johnny boy, I’ve been in a lot of tight spots in the past, believe me, this here is a done deal. I’ve never seen a young attorney perform more brilliantly than you did today, so sit back and relax this thing is in the bag.” And as he finished he winked at John and patted him on the shoulder; and for some strange reason this made him feel better. The bailiff could be heard announcing the entrance of the Honorable William G. Harris for the second time that day. He took his normal precautions and announced that the court was now in session. It was now 5:30 in the evening and the courtroom was packed with every bit of press the city of Chicago could muster all waiting to announce the verdict to the world.

 

            Judge Harris asked if the there were any last remarks and then turned his attention to the jury. “ Have ya’ll reached a verdict?” The jury foreman, juror number eight, replied, “yes your honor we have.”

“What say ye?”

“ We the jury find the defendant not guilty on all accounts.”

And with that the courtroom erupted. John sighed a deep breath of relief and as usual there was no response at al from Don Olivetti. He did manage one smile at John along with a firm handshake; one of those type handshakes Bill Clinton was famous for, as he gripped your right hand with his right and your right bicep with his left hand. Saying thank you very personally with out saying a word. It was now time to face the world, together as they emerged from the courtroom stride for stride, John kept repeating the same thing over and over “ Mr. Olivetti has been cleared on all charges and is ready to back to his day to day operations as the CEO of Olivetti Pasta and Sauce Company.” “Please no more questions.” To avoid the crowd and get out of there as fast as possible, he joined Mr. Olivetti inside his limo. Once inside the limo, Mr. Olivetti opened a bottle of Dom peringon and poured a glass for John and himself. Mr. Olivetti was pleased with John and immediately began making himself a mental checklist of what to do next.

 

            John was sipping champagne with one hand and he was on the phone with the other. His first call was to his office, not that he needed to report anything since it was all over the news.

“Maggie, hey this is John!”

“Congratulations, John everybody here has been watching the news and you are all over it every channel in Chicago plus CNN, MSNBC, and of course your favorite FOX NEWS.”

“As a matter of fact Mr. O’ryan from Fox News called personally wanting an interview for next week.”

“ That is awesome, are there ant other messages,” asked John?

“ Yes, your sister called at least ten more times do you want your number?”

“No, I do not want to ruin our big day with her drama; say it is almost time for you to get off, why don’t you come on down to the club and celebrate with us?”

“ John that sounds great I will be there in about an hour.”

“ See you then.”

As John hung up the phone, he was finally able to let it all out.

 

            John had never been the party type; except for the Ole Miss years he always was the mature one but tonight was the biggest night of his life and he wasn’t going to let it pass him bye. As night was slowly starting to give way to morning, and all sense full thought had passed long before, John said his goodbyes and stumbled for the door along with Maggie. They climbed into Don Olivetti’s personal limo and were escorted to his downtown penthouse. Once they were inside, Maggie went to the washroom in order to freshen up with anticipation of an early morning romp. The thought of being Mrs. Maggie McClellan was always ever present on her mind and she would stop at nothing to get her man. As she entered the king’s layer cladded and fragranced in her most seductive attire her heart was once again stopped in place, for John her knight in shining armor was passed out in full suit. Partly because of the day’s events but mainly due to the amount of vodka and tonic he had consumed.

 



© 2008 LSCC2686


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on February 15, 2008


Author

LSCC2686
LSCC2686

Writing