The County Fair - a short

The County Fair - a short

A Story by LBL18

Maryanne is eating her popcorn feverishly while I wait in this absurdly long line for some cotton candy. I look around and figure there must be at least 3 times the amount of people at this year’s county fair than last’s. However, I like the multitude of people, it adds to the excitement. Not that the rides, colorful flashing lights and live music aren’t exciting enough. Just that, the people’s happiness is so infectious and as intoxicating as the boisterous atmosphere. Suddenly Maryanne hits me on the shoulder, interrupting my felicitous train of thought. She’s whispering violently “Is that her?”

Maryanne points rudely to a girl in a yellow shirt walking away with a mouthwatering, huge, puffy and pink cotton candy in her hand. Embarrassed, I thrust Maryanne’s finger down to her waist.

“What do you mean?”

I move in front of her trying to make sure the girl couldn't tell we were talking about her. Maryanne’s green eyes stretch a mile wide.

“You mean, you don’t know?” she said. A huge smile grew on her face and she started to giggle uncontrollably.

At this point I am getting exasperated with Maryanne. She has been close to intolerable the entire day. From her girlish comments to her aggravating giggle, I was starting to lose my mind and my patience. Honestly, I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed going out with her. Even though I barely want to ask her, I succumb to my powerful curiosity.

“What do I not know Maryanne?”

She lifts her index finger to my face then, she downs the last of her popcorn by tilting her head back and swallowing verociously. After she licks her probably salty lips, she starts to talk.

“Ok, so,” she looks around excitedly “Her name, the girl in the yellow shirt, is Aimee. And her mom died when she was like 16 or something.” I take a moment to digest her words and attitude. As a minute goes by, she is still glowing with excitement and intrigue. Her thrilled tone is repulsive and I am ready to leave her alone in this line.

“Ok. That’s f*****g terrible. Poor girl.” I tell her avoiding any eye contact.

“Yeah, But thats not even the thing. The mom like committed suicide.” She sounded impatient, as if I haven’t understood what she said. But, I honestly don’t know what I could be missing.

“Well f**k.” I feel my heart sink a little more for this stranger.

A couple seconds go by and I shift uncomfortably. All this awkward energy proves how Maryanne and I are never able to talk about serious topics. That’s probably why she conveniently went on a college visit the weekend of my grandfather’s funeral last year. Thinking about that weekend, I look to my left and see Maryanne’s forehead start to wrinkle.

Maryanne lifts her eyes to me and whispers, “She’s scary.”

Her eyes are now darting around the park as if she is looking for the girl in the yellow shirt. Surprisingly, I think Maryanne is genuinely afraid of this girl. And to be honest that only aggravates me further. My gaze leaves Maryanne’s pale and blemish free face. Now, I find myself scanning the park too. And even though the girl in the yellow shirt doesn't know we are talking about her, I still feel the need to apologize. But the mystery girl is no where to be seen and this line doesn’t seem to be getting any shorter.

Five minutes go by and I am starting to get a little restless. I look down at my watch and, to my dismay, it’s already 10 o’clock. I really wanted to get out of here before midnight so I could go home and relax.

Then, Maryanne pulls my face up by the chin and says, “Don’t be so pouty, it doesn’t suit you Joshy.”

I manage a stiff smile and glance up at the sky. The sun is setting now, and the air has gotten significantly cooler. Maryanne shivers and sighs. All of a sudden the question that has been sitting on the tip of my tongue comes spilling out;

“How did you find out about this girl?” I really do not know where this curiosity is coming from but I just can’t let go of what Maryanne said earlier.

She smiles and says, “Oh baby, I have my resources.” Then she wraps her long tan arms around my neck and pulls in close to me.

“Maryanne…” I warn her.

“What?” she asks, still smiling. Then she places a kiss on the corner of my mouth and whispers in my ear, “Don’t you like me this close to you?”.

I look into those seemingly innocent green eyes and almost believe that feigned naivety. I have always succumbed to this Maryanne, the one that is sweet and suggestive. However this time, I put my hands on her waist, not to pull her closer but, to stop her from moving any further. She drops her arms disappointedly. She looks at me with the most annoyed and exasperated look I have ever seen.

“Josh you literally drive me insane. I do not get it.” Her eyebrows squish together and stomps her foot.

Then suddenly, like the hulk, bitchy Maryanne starts to take form in front of me.  She folds her arms over her stomach and c***s one hip. I am a little scared.

Tilting her head she says, “Get your damn cotton candy. Afterwards, we are going back to my place.”

Wow, I can’t believe her. I hate her for tempting me and for playing with my desires.

“Do you think you can manipulate me?” I ask her calmly.

“Oh my god, I am literally offering you a good time and you ask me that?!” her voice has gone up at least 6 octaves.

I look at the girl I have been dating since freshman year and say in the firmest voice I can muster, “Maryanne, I do not want to go back home with you.”

“Then why did you take me out tonight?” She starts to fly off her hinges.

“Holy s**t Maryanne, because it’s the freaking annual county fair and I know how much you like the ferris wheel. I also happen to love cotton candy. That is why we have been standing in this f*****g long a*s line for the last 15 minutes.” I can feel my forehead get hot.

“Well this would’ve been a nicer night if you hadn’t gotten all pissy when I started talking about the scary girl.” She uncocks one hip and throws daggers at me with her eyes.

Then, as usual, I drop the topic right there and grab her hand to avoid further conflict. Mostly because I hate fighting with her. And I sorta do really love her. So, I rub her knuckles with my thumb till we reach the front of the line.

As we approach the window I can smell the sweet smells of hot, fluffy, fresh cotton candy. The entire fight with Maryanne becomes a distant memory as these smells saturate every corner of my entire being.

“A large cotton candy, please.” I tell the vendor.

“Do you want anything baby?” I glance over to Maryanne who is clinging to my arm.

She smiles sweetly back and kisses my cheek. Then she's giggles the words, “No poo bear.”

At this time, I am sure the lady at the counter, who is waiting for me to pay, is more than grossed out. She's probably disgusted. But as soon as I get my cotton candy I won't care one bit.


A couple minutes later, Maryanne and I are strolling through the fair’s grounds. Her entire body is pressed up against mine and as much as I try, I can't get her to let go. Probably because she is too busy saying hello to everyone that passes by. Meanwhile, I am just staring at the littered grass, eating my delicious cotton candy. Maryanne says hello to the fifteenth person when I notice a coke can reflecting the colorful lights from the ferris wheel and count the 27th bin of popcorn to be thrown on the soft, flattened green field.

As we pass by the haunted house I unfortunately hear  Maryanne's best friend, Megan, call to us from the shadows;

“Maryanne and Josh! You guys are mega adorable!”

It's severely unfortunate that I can hear Megan say this in her shrill voice over the band’s speaker that is practically 2 feet away from us. Then, of course, Megan and her crew come running up to us. I notice that all of them have those bright lipsticks and ripped tank tops on. These combinations and outfits are frightening. I just don't get girl’s fashion, or any other fashion really. For instance, tonight Maryanne is wearing shorts that look like cut off's of my dad’s work pants, and he is a construction worker! I stare at the girls’ feet and pretend to be listening to their conversation. Strangely enough, I can’t stop thinking about the girl in the yellow shirt. I wonder, where she is now, if she's alone, and if she has a family? All these questions and ideas run through my head excitedly. But of course, the group of girls’ voices inevitably invade my personal thoughts with loud shrieks and laughter. Sadly, whenever Maryanne is around I can never stay in my own world for long.

Next, I look at my watch again and see that it's 11 o'clock. It’s late and I don't want to stay here another minute. So, I pull Maryanne away from the group for a second.

“I don’t want to keep you from your friends.” I say to her in my best “boyfriend voice”.

Her sweet delicate face lights up, “Oh Josh! You are so sweet. Do you mind if I go with them for a while?”

I have to stop myself from smiling too much when I say, “Of course baby, enjoy yourself.”

She throws herself on me and kisses my cheek. Looking back she calls to her friends, “I have the best boyfriend ever!” She turns back and winks at me. I wink back, patiently waiting for her to depart.

But then, she leans in and whispers, “I'll see you later poo bear.” She runs off to join her friends. They engulf her in a huge hug and disappear together into the crazy lights and sounds of the fair.

I turn around and to make my way to the parking lot. I put my head down and try to look really preoccupied on my phone till I reach the car. Everyone seems to have already left when I get to the almost barren lot. I look down at the severely flattened grass and feel somewhat sorry for it. I would hate to be rolled over and over again by huge cars. Lifting my gaze, I feel super dizzy. Not to mention, the splitting headache I can feel starting to erupt around my temples. So I try my best to lock out the distant sounds of the fair by focusing on the cricket’s song. It seems to be working because I can finally hear my own thoughts. I start to look for the keyhole in the pitch black dark. Suddenly, an LED light flashes on the door. I look back and there is a girl holding a small flashlight keychain in her hand.

“It’s a b***h trying to find the keyhole at night.” she says simply.

“Yeah it really is. Thanks for the, uh, light.” I say laughing a little.

“No problem.” she whispers back.  

She continues to hold the light out for me as I quickly insert the key and open the door. I slide into the front seat, run a hand through my short thick brown hair, and turn the key in the ignition. As soon as I hear the engine grumble I turn to the girl. But all I see is a young woman with a yellow shirt walking away into the dark with the help of a little LED light.


© 2014 LBL18


Author's Note

LBL18
a little dry.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
Added on October 16, 2014
Last Updated on October 16, 2014
Tags: Romance, Mystery, Chapter, Young Adult, Teenage Romance

Author

LBL18
LBL18

About
Student! Amateur but passionate writer. more..