'We do not see things as they are... we see them as we are'

'We do not see things as they are... we see them as we are'

A Story by Kylie
"

What it is like to be as free as a zero.

"
  Walking down the main street, lined with windows burning electric images and false hopes, dreams no one will ever live in, I exist only in the shadows. I am a zero. Call me zero man. We are all zeros in the contemplation of our existence, on the periphery of our Being. The world exists as a possibility, and we are the possibilities of that world. I am better than your average everyday man and woman, for I have been cleansed of the dreams of our age. Spare me the drama and desire for that new washing machine, for the latest McDonald's burger. Spare me, spare me, for I shall surely die!
  Void of dreams, at last I can see the stars and hear the sounds that sounded in the age of the dinosaurs, of watery depths and plummeting waves upon the Cretaceous shore that I stand upon now. Spare a dime for the little man who knows not his empty dreams, who would rather be a number in a slot machine than free as a zero like me! When we paint things with our dreams and desires, they lose their objectivity, their vastness of meaning and immensity in the silent depths of space and time. They become small and trivial, discarded like rags on our graves. They do not hear the echoes of the planets, nor ponder the hidden meanings that this simple black pen contains in the dashes of ink. Willy Loman is dead, but then, so are most of us before we even die. 

© 2017 Kylie


Author's Note

Kylie
Willy Loman is a character from Arthur Miller's 'Death of a Salesman'. Let me know what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I was quite transfixed! Mere and splendid poetry! I'm so glad to have read you, to have met you, writer after my own heart :) Isabella

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

339 Views
1 Review
Added on March 21, 2017
Last Updated on March 21, 2017

Author

Kylie
Kylie

Melbourne, Australia



About
A somebody from Australia who writes about her ideas, thoughts, and feelings. It may be about certain life experiences and lessons, on great movies or books, or maybe just some crazy idea that washed .. more..