Daniel's Early Days

Daniel's Early Days

A Chapter by Kjerstina House
"

Ch. 13 Emergency-Before Daniel became a powerful Mage, he was just a boy. Follow Daniel from the beginning as he receives his powers, embarks on many adventures, and learns what true power really is.

"

His mother cleared her throat, and Daniel looked up to find that she was floating as well; her long curls waving about like tentacles. And not just his mother, but everything in the room was now suspended in the air. All of Quip’s belongings and the many stacks of books and boxes were now tumbling around in space. Quip didn’t seem to have any control over his trajectory, and he was spinning around in angry circles; kicking his feet and grasping at the air in a futile attempt to right himself.

Pearl, on the other hand, seemed to be enjoying herself. Wings still tucked in, she rose off the ground. Floating along with no propelling, she looked like a tiny remote control toy with no mind of her own. She quickly tired of having no control, and deftly opened her wings to gain it back. With no effort at all, she swooped and twirled around the lofty attic room.

“Oh,” Daniel muttered in disappointment. Realization that he hadn’t done it quite right hit him like a cold wave. His crushing displeasure quickly affected his concentration, causing everything to come crashing back to the floor. Most everything returned to the ground without mishap, except for Quip; he landed in a pile of tangle arms and legs. “Sorry Quip!” Daniel winced; bracing himself for Quip’s retort.

“Humph,” Quip grumbled as he righted himself. Treating Daniel to a withering look, he straightened his vest and tie, and huffed over to a corner of the attic. There, he promptly disappeared inside one of his tunnels.             

“Ignore him,” his mother said gently. “You did well, maybe a little too well. This time, really concentrate on the third line. This is the line that specifies that you only want gravity to disperse beneath your feet.”

Daniel brushed away his frustration, and began again. When he got to the third line he spoke a little louder, and articulated each syllable clearly. He kept his eyes on his mother this time, to see if she would rise as well. The intense buildup of magic returned; swelling inside him briefly before suddenly dispersing making Daniel feel light as air and he was. His mother congratulated him. “You did it perfectly! And, on the second try! Normally it takes several attempts to pull off such a spell.”

“Well done, Little One,” Pearl sent for his ears only. She had kept quiet until now because she wanted to let Daniel and his mother have this time to themselves.

Beaming with pride, Daniel tried to take a step towards his mother, but that only caused him to wobble uncontrollable. “Remember, your grandmother doesn’t take steps; she glides forward. Try leaning forward to start,” his mother encouraged.

So, he leaned far forward, and immediately zoomed across the room, colliding with his mother. They landed in a heap, and his mother laughed heartily. “A little less effort, I think,” she chuckled, wiping a tear from her eye.

It took Daniel the better part of an hour to get a handle on moving to and fro while suspended above the floor. The slightest tilt forward would send him across the room, and straightening back up stopped him in his tracks. His mother stayed with him, and offered suggestions and words of encouragement when needed. Pearl stayed on as a silent spectator.

Daniel had just begun working on lateral movement when his father burst into the room, harried and out of breath. “I have to make an emergency run into the forest,” he announced to his wife.

Eager to join him, Daniel hurtled over to his father so quickly he almost bowled him over as well. He stopped himself just in time; coming to an abrupt stop inches from his father’s chest. “Can I come with Dad? Please?!”

His father gave him a sympathetic look, but looked to his wife for her approval. “Nothing dangerous,” he assured her quickly.

Daniel whirled around too quickly, and stumbled briefly. He righted himself quickly, keen to prove himself capable. He saw his mother’s familiar apprehensive expression; she was over protective and ardent about keeping her baby safe. So, Daniel treated her to his most deprived doe eyes and jutted out his lower lip in his most earnest pout. The disapproval practically melted away, and his mother’s face visibly softened. She looked back and forth from her husband and her son, and threw up her hands.

“Oh, alright,” she consented with a sigh. 


© 2014 Kjerstina House


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

254 Views
Added on October 22, 2014
Last Updated on October 22, 2014
Tags: wizard, family, magic, magical realm, dragon, witch, brownies, forest, spells

Daniel's Early Days: A Young Wizard's Story