Wizards and Wands

Wizards and Wands

A Story by Snitified
"

A conversation between a wizard and a boy.

"

                "I wish that I could express to you the devastation that we suffered when we first came to this place. Without our wands we were next to helpless against predators who were built to fight magic, what little resistance we offered was swept aside as if we fought them not at all." The wizards head fell slightly his eyes focused on a patch of dirt a few feet ahead of where he sat.

He began again clearly searching for the right way to explain to me the hardships they had faced knowing I had no understanding of magic or magical creatures. "The worst by far were the dragons, when we were in your world dragons were held in check, they stayed away in fear of wizards. They are just as if not more intelligent as we are and once they realized that we were powerless without our wands the struck hard against us."

 "All the magical creatures were once used to create those wands, many without their permission. They were not going to let that happen again, they killed us by the hundreds, destroying villages and attacking homes. Imagine coming home and finding your sons and daughters burned alive inside your own home. That was the reality we faced, so yes I understood the peoples anger against those of us who cast the spell. How could I deny them that anger, we cast the spell, we were and are responsible for the suffering of the very people we were trying to save."

As he paused in his story I looked around at the home he had walked out of.  There were signs everywhere of history, rocks with names carved into them and moss growing over every wall of the large building. There also was a stark contrast where everything had the feeling of new, the flowering shrubs in front of the house, the sound of water running over the rounded stones from the creek near by. It was peaceful, there were no signs of the destruction of which he was explaining to me and yet the look on his face was anything but peaceful.

"You tell me that wizards were without wands and  yet here you sit carrying a wand, how is it that you have come to carry it?"  In the last 24 hours I had been sucked out of my own world and into one that had tried to kill me on numerous occasions, to say that I was....skeptical would be an understatement.

 "A wand is not so hard to make, it is truly just a casing around a magical core. You see here, mine is oak, my father hollowed out the center by grinding sand on the tip with a smaller branch. The core is the difficult part, core's become stronger based on the bond between the magical creature and the wizard. He was given this core by a Unicorn, he came to my father with great sadness and told  us of a visit he received from a dark wizard. That wizard killed his family right in front of him and he was helpless against it. He offered my father the hair from his mane if he swore to destroy the wand created with death of a child dragon."

The wizards face flashed with anger only to be replaced again as the visage of sadness fell back into place. "Dragons are no friend to man, but to kill a child whether it be man or dragon is unforgivable." The wizards hand was clenched around his wand, his knuckles white his veins pulsing.

" I watched my father walk away to seek out the descendent of De'more and make him pay for that sin. He came back three days later, broken and barely able to move. He gave me the wand and asked that I take up his oath....he died two days after his return."

It was only after hearing of his fathers death that I realized that we were utterly alone, it a world full of danger this man in front of me sat alone in the middle of a forest full of magical beasts. Something was keeping them at bay, was it respect of fear? What ever it might be that kept the monsters at bay this man sat presumably without intrest in them what so ever.

"The wizard who killed my father's name was Karo, he is the great grandson of De'more. My father wounded him as much as if not more than he wounded my father.  From what I have been able to gleam from the little information I recieve from his keep Karo used the blood of the child dragon to heal his wounds. Though this will give him back the life he nearly lost he has also lost a great deal."

"He spent 30 years on his plan to steal the dragons egg, he has sired no heir and he grows older every day. He fears my wand but he also is becoming desperate to find a way to undo the great spell, his actions are becoming more and more erratic."

"Can he find me?"  The knowledge that I was or at least my blood was the key to unleashing magic into my own world hit me, of course he would come for me I am his last chance.

"Oh yes he will come for you, and that is exactly what I am hoping for."

Great....I'm the bait.

© 2013 Snitified


Author's Note

Snitified
This is a conversation from the book I am working on, let me know what you think of the concept.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Dude. If you have wizards, then your book is going to be good no matter what.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
1 Review
Added on August 13, 2013
Last Updated on August 13, 2013

Author

Snitified
Snitified

wooster , OH



About
I am your average everyday guy looking for the next barrier to break through. more..

Writing
Mist Of War Mist Of War

A Story by Snitified