Chapter 30

Chapter 30

A Chapter by Dreamer

Chapter 30

 

Tag with a monster.

 

The portal dropped another Beast onto the pavement adding to the five Beasts standing in bewilderment under it. Kailah glanced over her shoulder as one of the Beasts turned in their direction and roared. She screamed for Viska to move, shoving the young girl to the right as it shot tentacles from its back latching onto some of the people around Kailah and Viska.

Roaring it drug its haul back as it jumped through the portal. The men and women it had grabbed screamed in fear as they were drug across the ground and then through the portal, their screams cut off. Kailah pulled Viska back behind her, letting loose a fireball at the Beast bearing down on them. It took the attack full in the snout, crying out in pain and shaking its head like it was trying to dislodge a sneeze.

“Come on!” Kailah ordered running down a side alley.

The way they had come was cut off by the portal of death dropping more Beasts onto the road by the minute. Kailah clenched her teeth against the screams of the dying as she ran with all her might dragging Viska behind her. She cursed the fact she was in sandals as she slipped and skidded on loose rocks.

“Where are we going?” Viska asked.

Kailah had to give the girl credit for keeping her wits, “To Cameron.”

“Aren’t we going the wrong way then?” Viska asked.

Kailah caught her be the neck of her shirt and jerked her back into the alley as a Beast ran past on the main street chasing a flock of chickens. Kailah glanced out cautiously then headed up the street.

“No, we’re going the safe way,” Kailah replied tertly, “unless you’d rather wade through the entrance to hell back there?”

Viska replied cowed, “Point taken.”

“We’ll get through this, Viska,” Kailah replied with a soft smile, “trust me.”

Viska ran the back of her hand over her eyes and set her jaw, “I do.”

Beast howls echoed around them accompanied by screams, screams of rage, pain, despair, and death. Viska stayed behind Kailah as a Beast rounded a bend in the road catching sight of them. Kailah sneered, her eyes turning to flames as it bore down on them.

“Come taste hell, monster.”

 

Cameron hacked off the tentacle that had Don by the throat. Don collapsed to his hands and knees coughing as Cameron sliced at another tentacle the Beast shot at them.

“Get up, Don!” Cameron shouted over his shoulder.

Philian and Kanton came to help them as Don got to his feet. Between the four of them they managed to kill the Beast. They were all breathing hard and covered in sticky black blood.

As Cameron wiped the Beast’s blood off of his sword he surveyed the damage one Beast had caused. After Maltoris had left them with vague instructions of ‘train well’ Cameron had done as ordered and begun training with the squad. It had been fairly easy going when the screaming started. Before anyone could comprehend the meaning of the screams a portal had opened up in the middle of the stadium grounds and deposited the Beast before it closed again.

“What’s going on, Cam?” Don asked clearing his throat.

The sandy haird lieutenant Philian glanced from Cameron to Don, “Your orders, sir?”

They heard more screams off in the distance, “Don’t tell me there’s more,” Don groaned.

Cameron said nothing as he set off for the stadium entrance. Kanton and Philian watched him in confusion.

“Hey! Stay with the captain,” Don orderd the two squad membes then called after Cameron as he set off after him, “Where are you going?”

“To find Kai,” Cameron replied over his shoulder, “We’re going to need every Pair we’ve got.”

“We handled that one just fine,” Don huffed as he caught up to him, “It just surprised us is all.”

“Oh, yeah?” Cameron paused at the entrance drawing some power from Kailah, “Take a look back at it.”

“What the hell!?” Don cried as he saw the Beast pull its severed parts back together. The soldiers that were near it jumped back in alarm.

“Yeah,” Cameron sighed readying a fireball, “that’s what makes Beast attacks so bad, they don’t die unless you kill them with magic.”

He hurled the fireball hitting the Beast square in the back of its regenerating head. It swiveled its head around, one eye dangling from the socket, and roared in pure rage.

“What the-“ Don’s eyes grew wide as the Beast scrambled to all fours and started toward them fast, “It’s coming this way!”

Cameron was a step ahead of him, tearing through the entrance, “Figured it would.”

The two of them ran with all their might, hurtling overturned carts and stalls sometimes dead people and animals. The Beast just plowed through whatever came up in front of it. It roared in fury as it chased them.

“What do we do Cameron?!” Don asked his legs pumping as fast as they could, “Please, tell me you have a plan.”

“Split!” Cameron cried as he shoved Don to the side. Two tentacles shot in between them. Cameron and Don came back together as the Beast roared in frustration, focusing on catching up than snatching them.

“Duck!” A voice called out to them and both of them dove for the ground rolling as a gust of wind shot over their heads.

  The wind wall hit the Beast and stopped it. Cameron covered his head as his hair stood on end and his body tingled. A bolt of lightning fell from the sky and blasted the Beast. It howled in pain then fell over a crispy chunk of dead.

“What the hell was that?” Don asked slowly getting to his feet.

Cameron laughed when he caught sight of Don’s appearance. His hair was standing on end and sizzling slightly. Cameron was sure he didn’t look any better.

“Here-ouch!” Cameron cried pulling his hand back from being shocked by Don’s static build up.

“Are the two of you alright?” The voice from earlier asked them.

Turning around Cameron and Don saw a man walking towards them. He was six foot two with a slim build. He wore a traveler’s cloak and was flanked by another man in the same garb.

“Thanks for the assist, um,” Cameron held out his hand to the man, “can’t say I recognize you.

The man smirked taking Cameron’s offered hand, “I’d imagine not, we’re Karpel based, just arrived for a contract. My name is Merol and this is my Sword Fanten.”

His voice was soft, but deep. The dark haired man by his side nodded in greeting. The Beast slowly disintegrated and the wind blew the dust away.

“Do you have any idea what’s going on?” Cameron asked them, “By the wreckage here and the distant screaming, I’m guessing there’s more.”

Merol nodded sadly, “You’d guess correctly, my Sword and I were heading to the Compound to offer our assistance to Councilman Maltoris. You two are welcome to join.”

Don looked to Cameron who shook his head, “That’s alright; we’re in search of my Caster. Once I find her we will regroup at the Compound. Tell Maltoris, Gantervez and Malavader will be there shortly.”

Merol nodded, “Will do, come on Fanten.”

Cameron watched them until they disappeared around a bend in the road then tapped Don on the arm as he headed off to the east again.

“So, how do you know where Kailah is?” Don asked as they jogged, “She could be anywhere in the city, her and Viska.”

“Pairs get this sixth sense when they join,” Cameron explained as they dodged around rubble, “we know where each other are at all times, couldn’t point it out on a map but I know which direction and if I’m close or not.”

“That’s,” Don narrowed his eyes impressed, “kinda cool.”

“Yeah,” Cameron agreed stopping at another crossroad.

Don snapped his fingers, “That’s why you knew at the dinner party in Central that it wasn’t Kailah.”

“Exactly,” Cameron mused glancing up and down the streets.

Don waited for Cameron to start moving again and followed along behind him. The further into the city they went people passed them fleeing for their lives in the direction they hoped would be safe.

“She’s clos-oof” Cameron was interrupted when someone barreled out of a side alley flat into him. Cameron fell over and the person landed on top of him. He caught the scent of flowers and spice as the person pushed off of him and flipped long black hair from her face.

“Cameron!” Kailah cried when she recognized him.

“Not to be rude,” Cameron wheezed, “but I can’t breathe.”

“Oh! Sorry,” Kailah apologized as she got off him and helped him up.

“Where’s Viska?” Don asked concern filling his voice.

He glanced down the alley and didn’t see anyone there. He did a full three-sixty turn looking.

“Kailah, where’s Viska?” Don demanded when he couldn’t find her, “Where is she?”

“We got separated when we went through a crowd a few streets over,” Kailah shook her head breathing hard.

Cameron noticed she was holding her side which was bleeding, “You’re hurt.”

“I’m fine,” Kailah slapped his hand away, “We have to find Viska.”

Don’s voice took on an edge of urgency, “Which street was it?”

“Veshpan,” Kailah replied swaying.

Cameron caught her when her legs caved and he eased her down to the ground.

“Go,” Cameron said motioning with his head to Don. Don nodded and took off down the alley to find Viska.

“We have to help-ow,” Kailah said trying to get back up.

“You need to let me look and treat that before you pass out from blood loss,” Cameron retorted firmly.

Kailah grimaced in aggravation as Cameron moved her arm out of the way, “It’s just a scratch.”

“Uh-huh, sure,” Cameron replied sarcastically as he surveyed the cut, “Forgive me.”

He slit the bottom of her dress and pulled off about two feet of it. He then split those into strips and tied them around her middle putting pressure on the wound.

“Tsk,” Kailah sighed, “I just got this dress too.”

Cameron chuckled, “I’ll buy you a new one. Here.”

Cameron helped her to her feet and Kailah tried to pull the remaining dress down further but it only went to mid-thigh. Kailah blushed in embarrassment.

“I want my boots,” Kialah sighed looking at the tattered remains of her sandals.

The two of them headed off in the direction Don had gone. Cameron led with Kailah right behind him. They passed squads of soldiers heading off in search of citizens in need of rescue as they made their way to Veshpan Street. The warning bells had sounded shortly after the attack had begun signaling everyone who was able to head to the Compound for safety.

Specific squads were designated to protect the route to the Compound while others were sent out as search and rescue teams. Pairs were sent out as well to fight the Beasts. Cameron heard an explosion off to the right followed by the screams of a dying Beast.

Looking back toward the direction of the Compound Cameron saw the protective barrier was in place. He heard more explosions and turned his attention back to the path ahead.

The going was slow due to Kailah’s wound and Cameron’s cautiousness. He didn’t want to come across a Beast and have to fight with Kailah in her present condition. Glancing back at her he saw the makeshift bandage was already soaked through with blood. They needed a Healing Caster and fast.

They made it to Veshpan Street without encountering any Beast and for that Cameron was grateful. The street itself was abandoned save for the dead. Cameron felt the bile rise in his gut as he surveyed the carnage. Swallowing hard he stepped out into the street and slid on blood. Catching his balance he forced himself to look around at the bodies to see if any of them were familiar.

“I don’t see her,” Kailah said softly, “She may have tried to head for the Compound.”

Cameron heard a scream of rage, “That was Don.”

He headed off toward where it had come from and Kailah followed along behind. They ducked through some more alleys and headed for the sound of a battle. They rounded a corner and saw a squad of soldiers plus Don fighting a monstrous sized Beast.

Taking a deep breath Cameron drew his blade and headed in. Kailah leaned against the wall trying not to lose consciousness. Cameron dove at the Beast with a battle cry of fury plunging his blade into the Beast’s back right leg causing it to howl in pain. Snarling it turned toward this new threat. Cameron ducked a tentacle as he pulled out his blade.

“Move!” Cameron heard Kailah order as the ground beneath the Beast bucked.

Cameron and the rest jumped back just in time as the ground under the Beast opened like a giant mouth swallowing the Beast. The Beast’s scream of rage was cut off as the ground slammed back shut. Glancing back he saw Kailah collapse on the ground and ran over to her.

A soldier approached them caustiosly, “How is she?”

“I’m not sure,” Cameron replied her breathing was shallow and he could feel the fever she had, “Do you know where any Healing Casters are?”

“Yes, there’s one on Telpa Street,” The soldier replied pointing in the direction, “There’s a clinic there, that’s where we’ve been sending the injured that can’t make it as far as the Compound.”

“Let’s go,” Don said as he walked up with an unconscious Viska on his back.

She had a nasty gash on her head plus other scrapes, but the one on her temple worried him slightly. Cameron scooped Kailah into his arms and the two of them set off with their unconscious cargo toward the healer.

“We’ll escort you,” The soldier offered.

“No,” Cameron rejected, “you have other duties, we’ll be fine. Come on, Don.”

The soldier saluted their backs as the two of them continued on to Telpa Street. Walking down abandoned streets Don and Cameron were quick but still cautious. A number of times they had to duck into an alley or behind a wall to hide from a wandering Beast. They finally made it to Telpa Street and the clinic the young soldier had told them of. There were barricades up both ends of the street with soldiers directing civilians either to the clinic or on to the Compound.

One of the soldiers saw Cameron and Don approaching with their injured cargo and motioned them through the small gap in the barricade. Cameron nodded in thanks at the guy and walked straight to the entrance. It took a second for his eyes to adjust to the dimmer lighting; a nurse saw them come in and directed them to two empty beds. He led the way and put Kailah on one while Don put Viska on the other. The nurse had followed them and did a cursory examination of their patients then went and called for a Healer.

The Healer arrived and looked Kailah over and then Viska, “I’ll heal this one first, she’s in more critical condition than the other,” indicating towards Kailah.

Cameron nodded as the Healer undid the makeshift bandage. Holding his hands over the wound he closed his eyes. Green light emanated from his palms and blinded Cameron’s view of the wound.

Don paced back and forth chewing on a thumbnail as he waited for the Healer to finish with Kailah so he could help Viska. A few minutes later the Healer stopped. Putting a hand to his temple he swayed slightly but was steadied by the nurse.

“She’ll be fine,” The Healer assured Cameron, “She just needs rest. Now for the other pretty lady.”

“Hmm,” The Healer examined Viska’s head injury carefully, “I do believe she’ll be just fine, I’m going to treat the head wound, the other injuries will be taken care of by the nurse.”

Don nodded as the Healer went to work on Viska’s head. They watched as it stitched itself closed. After a few minutes the Healer stopped and Viska opened her eyes.

“Hey, kiddo,” Don said softly kneeling down to her eye level, “How are you feeling?”

Viska put her hand to her temple, “Like someone hit me in the head with a hammer.”

“Viska?” Don’s smile faded when she fell back into unconsiousnes, “Hey, Viska!”

“Calm down,” The nurse placed a soothing hand on his shoulder, “She needs rest.”

Don breathed out a sigh of relief and ran a nervous hand through his singed hair. The nurse went to work on cleaning the rest of Viska’s wounds. Don turned around when the nurse started undoing Viska’s shirt. Cameron gently tapped Don on the arm as he headed toward the entrance. Don followed him with a quick glance back at the girls.

Once outside, it started to rain lightly, Don blushed, “Have they never heard of decency?”

Cameron chuckled, “She’s a golem.”

“What?” Don asked shocked, “Really? But she looked so real?”

“Testament of the Healing Caster’s level,” Cameron replied shrugging as he started walking toward what smelled like food.

Golems were artificial beings that are created by certain Healers; instead of attaching to Swords the Healer Casters sometimes create a golem. The golems make amazing assistants and nurses. The downside is they had to stay in the region they were created in so Healing Casters that went that route didn’t travel. Chelry and Esma were in the category of Field Healers.

Cameron and Don got a couple of rations from a soldier who was handing them out to whoever was hungry enough to take one. Finding an unoccupied spot out of the way he and Don ate their meager meal in silence.

 “Sword,” Cameron turned around to see the golem nurse heading towards them, “You’re Caster is awake.”

Swallowing the last of the rations, he and Don followed the nurse back to the tent. Cameron walked in to see Kailah sitting up in the cot.

“Hey, sleepy head,” Cameron spoke softly as he walked over to her side.

“I had told you I did not need to see a Healer,” Kailah’s tone was flat as she looked at him without expression.

Cameron groaned as he rolled his eyes, “Good morning to you too, Agate.”

Don glanced from Cameron to Kailah confused, “What’s going on?”

“Oh,” Cameron sat in the chair beside Kailah’s cot, “this is Agate. Kailah’s Earth personality, you two met briefly in the ‘tower of doom’ back in Central.”

“Ah, right,” Don nodded then went to Viska’s side.

Cameron smiled turning back to Kailah, her expression wiped the smile from his face, “Do not patronize me, Cameron Gantervez, you have a lot of explaining to do.”


 



© 2015 Dreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on April 28, 2015
Last Updated on May 3, 2015


Author

Dreamer
Dreamer

LA



About
I'm just a simple country girl who likes to write the (what I find cool) stories I daydream up in my head. I also have a deviantart account at http://khiramae.deviantart.com/ don't have a whole lot .. more..

Writing
Prolog Prolog

A Chapter by Dreamer


Death Death

A Book by Dreamer


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Dreamer