Chapter 4 The beginning of something new…

Chapter 4 The beginning of something new…

A Chapter by Dreamer

Chapter 4

 

 

The beginning of something new…

 

 

 

“And the librarian didn’t raise any heck about you asking for “The Book of Fernaira”?” Calhan asked skeptically.

Gerad didn’t answer as he, Selene, and Calhan passed over the drawbridge into Hyrule Fields. Actually the librarian had fainted at the mention of the book but Gerad wasn’t going to tell Calhan that detail. They had made the librarian swear not to tell anyone that they had asked for the book on pain of losing his job. At first they had threatened his life, or more, Sheik had, but he didn’t care as much for his life as he did for his job.

“Yeah he was more than happy to show us where it was.” Selene smiled sweetly.

Calhan narrowed his eyes in suspicion but let the matter drop as he turned his attention to his guarding. Their pace was slow as they headed east toward Kakariko Village. Calhan was the only guard that accompanied them; Zelda had relented on sending a full battalion. Despite the length of time they were going to be gone from home the trio had packed light. Each one had their weapons, the clothes on their back plus an extra set, a few days’ rations, and a bed roll with blankets.

“There’s the entrance.” Calhan stated pointing ahead of them.

Gerad looked to where he was pointing at a cut in the cliff face. Gerad and Selene followed Calhan’s lead as they rode down the twisting canyon and came to Kakariko Village. There was no fan fair to greet them, not to anyone’s disappointment, as they stopped at the entrance to take in the sights.

“Excuse me, miss.” Calhan called to a young lady tending a flock of coucous, “Could you tell me where we can find Impa of the Sheikas?”

The young lady blushed, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, “Oh, howdy. Follow the path into the village and take the first right. You should see a large house at the end of the row.”

She pointed in the direction she was talking about and Calhan craned his neck to see. She turned back toward him smiling sweetly as she finished her directions.

Calhan smiled at her, “Thank you, ma’am.”

Nudging Slaughter into motion the young lady never stopped watching Calhan till the three of them turned the corner. Selene and Gerad shared a smile to Calhan’s obliviousness. Catching sight of the house the lady had described they could make out a figure in the distance. As they neared the residence they recognized Sheik jumping up and down waving his arms with his mother standing next to him arms folded.

The trio stopped in front of the pair and dismounted. Sheik was grinning ear to ear a stark contrast to his mother’s stoic expression. Gerad and Selene bowed in respect to Impa and Sheik who returned the greeting.

“Fair morning, Impa. Our mother and father send their greetings and gratitude for your hospitality." Gerad straightened as he finished.

Selene thought she saw the tiniest of smiles crack Impa's face as she answered, "It appears my tutelage of your mother was not completely in vain. Welcome young prince and princess you honor us with your presence."

Placing her hand lightly on Sheik's shoulder she continued, "Sheik, show our guest where they may keep their horses. Then bring them inside."

Sheik nodded, "Alrighty, follow me."

The three of them bowed to Impa then followed after Sheik to the barn. Sheik showed them which stalls they could use for the length of their stay.

Leaning against the stall Sheik folded his arms, “How was the trip?”

“Uneventful, and short actually. I thought you lived farther away.” Gerad replied unsaddling Artimus and giving him some oats and a good rub down.

“Really what made you think that I lived far away?” Sheik asked hopping up onto the rail in between Artimus’s stall and Starfire’s.

Calhan said nothing as he passed by the three of them to a stall further down. Sheik followed his path with his eyes and let out a small sigh of relief when Calhan disappeared into the stall with Slaughter.

“Well last time ya’ll were at the castle Dahrin said that he had to travel with you the longest when all of you came to the castle.” Selene said over Starfire’s back as she rubbed her down.

“Oh, yeah, that’s because mom and me had traveled to Gerudo Fortress to do something for politics or another important thing like that. So we were already there.” Sheik replied with a shrug of his shoulders.

Gerad nodded in understanding, “Ah, makes sense. When are the others supposed to arrive?”

Sheik shrugged his ignorance, “I’d have figured G-Link would have arrived first, but your guess is as good as mine.”

Once their horses were taken care of Selene and Gerad followed Sheik back to the house. Selene had called to Calhan but he replied he’d catch up. The sun was making its laborious journey across the azure sky. Glancing up Gerad guessed it was roughly an hour before noon. Sheik showed them to inside the house, playing the dutiful host.

“Want anything to drink?” Sheik offered as they passed through the kitchen, “Or eat?”

Both of them shook their heads as they studied the small kitchen. Being royalty they hadn’t really been allowed in the palace kitchens, Selene guessed she’d spend more than ample time in this kitchen making up time.

Coming through the doorway they met Shief, Sheik’s dad, and Impa in the living room. Gerad could definitely tell the two were father and son, Sheif looked almost identical to him, except for the blue hair and indigo eyes.

“Ah,” Sheif grinned, “speak of the little devil now.”

Sheif had an easy smile and relaxed manor. Gerad could only marvel at the works of love. Sheik grinned back at his dad as Sheif ruffled his spikey white hair.

“Where is your guard, Calhan?” Impa asked glancing past them, “I had wanted to debrief on the trip over.”

“Debriefs can wait, my dear,” Sheif replied, “Sheik, show them to their rooms please.”

“Sure, dad.” Sheik nodded and waved for the two of them to follow leading up the stairs.

“The boys will be in one room,” Sheik narrated over his shoulder to them as he walked ahead of them up the flight of stairs, “Girls will be in another. House rule: no opposite genders in the rooms after nine o’clock. You don’t want to know what happens when you break the rules.”

“Note taken.” Gerad grinned over his shoulder at Selene.

Sheik pointed to a smaller room, “That’s the girls’ room. Since there’s going to be more boys we’ll have a bigger room.”

“Understandable.” Selene nodded as she walked past to put her pack on one of the beds, “Quick question, where’s the bathroom?”

Sheik grinned, “Downstairs, past the stairs, last door on the right.”

Selene nodded as she passed the boys headed in the direction Sheik had said. Gerad followed Sheik down the hall a little to a bigger room. Putting his pack on the bed Gerad sat next to it with a sigh.

“Where’s your room?” Gerad asked looking up at Sheik leaning against the doorframe.

Sheik grinned, “The girls are using it. Mom figured I can bunk with the guys.”

Impa’s voice called the two of them down. Following Sheik out the door Gerad felt a sudden chill go down his spine. Turning around he didn’t see anything but sunshine streaming in through the windows. Shrugging he turned and headed out the room. Outside the window a crow with a silver collar peered from a branch.

 

Impa, Selene, Calhan, and Sheif were waiting for the two of them along with Dahrin. Sheik grinned from ear to ear at the sight of his good friend. Gerad shook Dahrin’s hand in greeting also pleased to see the desert prince.

“Long time no see.” Gerad grinned, “How was the trip?”

“Not bad,” Dahrin replied his amber eyes gleaming, “had a bit of rain, but other than that it was fine.”

“You rode by yourself?” Selene asked.

Dahrin shook his head, “No, the guards turned back once we reached the canyon entrance. I had told them they could stay and return tomorrow but-“ Shrugging Dahrin let the absence of the guards speak their answer.

“Come on,” Sheik clapped Dahrin on the shoulder, “I’ll show you where to put your stuff.”

“Alright.” Dahrin shouldered his pack and followed Sheik and Gerad up the stairs.

Sheik went over the rule again as he led the way down the hall. Dahrin set his pack on the bed farthest from the door and sat down next to it with a sigh. Gerad perched on his bed leaning his head on his arm.

“How’re things in the desert?” Gerad sighed as he laid completely down on his bed, “Anything new?”

“Nah,” Dahrin replied pulling his sword belt off, “just more training and politics.”

“Sounds like fun.” Gerad yawned, “wonder when the rest are gonna show.”

Dahrin shrugged as he tied his hair back into a short pony-tail, “I’d have figured I would be the last to arrive.”

“Yeah,” Sheik piped in, “you sure did arrive fast, what did ya’ll gallop all night, or something?”

“No, we just set off really late.” Meria chuckled from where she leaned against the door, “Aerica and I just got here.”

“Hey,” Sheik grinned at Meria, “how was the trip?”

“Fairly interesting,” Meria replied, “I’ll tell ya’ll about it on the way down. Impa wants all of you.”

The boys got up and followed Meria down the hall, collecting Selene and Aerica as they passed the girls’ room.

“What do you mean interesting?” Sheik asked as they descended the stairs.

“Well first Eyona wanted to run the opposite way I was headed.” Meria replied over her shoulder.

“And then when she joined up with Meko and me some psychotic Duku scrubs tried to pelt us to death with Duku nuts.” Aerica finished as they entered the living room.

They all sat down in the different chairs and couches of the living room, the girls all sat together on one couch while Gerad and Dahrin took the two chairs. Sheik perched on the arm rest of Dahrin’s chair.

“Definitely sounds interesting.” Gerad grinned.

 “If you can say getting hit by a Duku nut that’s going faster than you can fly is interesting.” Meko spat crossing his tiny arms and landing on Aerica’s shoulder.

Gerad chuckled, “Well no, I wouldn’t call that interesting.” Meko glared at his sarcastic tone.

“Alright younglings dinner is in four hours ya’ll have the rest of today off so enjoy yourselves, there are some rules, Sheik I expect you to tell them and to follow them yourself.” Impa came in from the kitchen carrying a tray of what looked like cookies and glasses of milk.

“Thanks mom.” Sheik blushed slightly as Impa set the tray down on the low table, “I’ve already told them the one about the rooms.”

Impa nodded, “Good. See ya’ll at dinner.”

With that Impa turned on her heel and headed back to the kitchen. Calhan emerged from the same door a few seconds later munching on a cookie. He walked over to their group and stood on the edge of the circle.

“Ok so what’re the rules?” Dahrin asked looking up at Sheik.

“Oh, just that we can’t go into the royal cemetery since that’s where the shadow temple is,” Sheik replied shrugging, “Oh and no messing with the cuckoos.”

Gerad shrugged his shoulders, “Wasn’t planning on going to any cemeteries.”

“Come on, I’ll show you around the village.” Sheik hopped down from his perch and snatched a cookie.

“But, this is a perfect time to test some of your powers.” Calhan said around a mouthful of cookie.

“We can learn later when G-Link and Lucius get here.” Gerad replied standing up, “We should acquaint ourselves with the feel of the place first, don’t you think, Lore Sage?”

The others got up and followed Sheik and Gerad out the front door. Calhan drained a glass of milk and followed after everyone.

 

“So this is the well that Bongo Bongo was trapped in?” Meria asked trying to peer through the water that shone clear and enticing.

“Yeah up until Ganondorf let him out and Mr. Link killed him.” Sheik leaned against the well.

They had taken a tour the first day, G-Link and Lucius both showed up a day later at different times. Now a week later they knew the layout of the town intimately. The first few days they were still getting used to the feel of the place, Impa had taken mercy on them and let them get acquainted with rising early before setting them strenuous chores to do.

The girls on the fifth day were assigned to cleaning the house while the boys helped the carpenters with building a new schoolhouse for the children of the village. After the first day of cleaning the girls were so sore they could hardly move the next morning. The boys were in no better shape, but none of them complained about the work and set to it again and again. Weekend had come and all were taking a well-deserved rest by the well.

“So what exactly is in the Shadow temple?” Gerad asked suddenly from where he sat in the grass.

Sheik stiffened, “Nothing but death.”

“Ok little warriors, time for your first power’s lesson.” Calhan’s voice floated to them.

Looking his way Gerad had to stifle a laugh. He was dressed in a brownish orange robe and carrying the power book. At their quizzical expressions, Calhan glanced down at his attire with puzzlement.

“Out here in the open?” Gerad asked.

“Why are you wearing a dress?” Sheik asked at the same time.

“No we have to find somewhere secluded, where we won’t be bothered,” Calhan replied ignoring Sheik’s question, “Do you know of any such place where we can train Sheik?”

“A few.” Sheik nodded slowly.

“Any good ones?” Calhan asked.

“Only one really good one but we’re forbidden to go there.” Sheik replied.

“Heh, you mean the graveyard, don’t you?” Dahrin asked.

“Yeah it’s the only place no one ever goes. Except the grave keeper, who wouldn’t bother or report on us anyway.”

“I’m confused why can’t we go-wait that’s where the Shadow temple is, isn’t it?” Calhan asked.

“Yeah.” Sheik said with no enthusiasm.

“Hmm that does present a problem.” Calhan tapped his chin with his forefinger.

“Why would it?” Selene asked.

“Well in the book it says to practice away from areas that have a high potential of having monsters, ‘cause the monsters are drawn to the energy that the powers create. The Shadow Temple is still probably full of monsters as are the others.” Calhan explained going into lecture mode.

“What’s this about the Shadow Temple?”

Every one jumped at the sound of Impa’s voice. “Oh nothing we were just discussing what we had learned about the…the…the layout of the village.” Aerica smiled an over innocent smile like the rest of the group. Meko had fallen off his perch with a squeak and landed in the well.

“Uh-huh.” Impa crossed her arms and looked at the group with an eyebrow raised in disbelief.

Meko dog paddled to the edge and pulled himself out; Selene tried to suppress a giggle at his appearance. Meko glared at her as he attempted to shake out his soaked wings.

When no information was forth coming she turned to Calhan, “So, Calhan, the graveyard should be fine to practice in as long as you don’t go to close to the Temple. Normally I wouldn’t let you go even in the graveyard but since the stalfos attack I’ve been a little worried that they wouldn’t be able to handle the next attack on them should it occur.” Impa said looking at each of the dumbfounded faces in turn. “So I’ll make an exception this time and I’ll write to all the others to tell them what to expect when you arrive in a few weeks from now.”

Calhan blinked, “How did you know?”

“Well the robe gave it away but it was really the letter your grandfather sent me before he had died explaining that you were taking his place.” Impa’s stoic face faltered slightly at the mention of Rauru.

“So we can really practice?” Sheik asked.

Impa looked at her son, “Yes, but only on the weekends. ‘Cause you still have chores to do and reports to make. I will have no slacking and no using your powers in front of other people unless it’s to save them.”

“Understood.” The group answered with mock salutes that Impa smiled at. She left them to it and continued on her way.

“Well now that we have permission lets go check out our training area.” Calhan said motioning his hand for Sheik to lead the way. Sheik sighed and started walking leading them to the graveyard.

“What’s wrong Sheik? You seem depressed.” Meria asked him when they were away from the others.

Sheik jumped and gave a small smile, “Nothing’s wrong.”

 

“Ok Selene, since you were the first one to use your powers let’s start with you.” Calhan directed from his seat on a cemetery bench. Shrugging Selene stepped forward into the clear patch of grass in front of Calhan. They had arrived at the cemetery without encountering anyone and had chosen a training area away from the entrance but also away from the Shadow Temple.

“What do I do?” Selene folded her arms waiting for Calhan.

“Well the book says that it’s based on feelings, so can you conjure up the feelings you had when you first used your powers?” Calhan asked looking at Selene.

Thinking for a moment Selene slowly nodded.

“Ok now focus those feeling at the rock.” Selene did but no matter how much she stared at the rock they had picked out for the target nothing happened. After about ten minutes and with Selene red in the face Calhan sighed. “Ok let’s try something else.”

He stood up from his seat and walked toward Selene. She looked at him with a quizzical expression as he stopped in front of her. Calhan raised his hand and swung it toward her face attempting to slap her. Selene reacted without thinking and blocked his arm then struck him in the stomach with her palm, when her palm connected with his stomach a white light emanated from the point of contact. Calhan flew back twenty feet from the force of the light. Selene stared at her palm as Calhan climbed to his feet.

“Very good, now we know what needs to be done. Ouch.” Calhan said as he hobbled towards the group.

“Are you alright?” Gerad asked him failing to suppress a smile.

“Yes, nothing permanently damaged, but more importantly, Selene, what did you feel when I tried to hit you and you defended?”

“Fear, anger, and confusion.” Selene replied.

Calhan nodded his head, “Ok now focus those feelings and strike the rock like you had struck me.” He said motioning with his hand to a boulder near the bench he had been sitting on. Selene shrugged, she stepped up to the boulder dredged up the feelings that she had just felt then struck the boulder. Nothing happened.

“Hmm.” Calhan said tapping his finger to his chin. “Did you feel anything else?” he asked looking at her.

Selene shrugged, “It’s hard to describe, but it was sort of a calm rage. I know that sounds dumb.”

Calhan nodded at this then backed up behind Gerad and the others. They stared at him, but he ignored them.

“Ok strike the rock again this time dredge up that feeling mmk?” with that Calhan ducked behind Gerad. Selene raised an eyebrow at him, shook her head, and closed her eyes. Selene thought back to the stalfos attack. She dredged up the feeling that had emerged when Gerad and the others had been hurt.

Everyone gasped as a white light surrounded Selene. Selene opened her eyes and struck the rock. The boulder shattered into pieces of white fragments that shot everywhere. The others ducked and dodged out of the way of the fragments.

Selene closed her eyes again and exhaled. The white light faded and she raised her head. Looking around she saw the others on the ground with their hands over their heads. Calhan stood up and clapped. “Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.”

Selene looked at him quizzically, “What? Did I break the rock?”

Gerad laughed, “I’ll say you did.” He stood up and took a fragment off his shoulder. He handed her the fragment she took it in awe.

“Now we know it can be done without a life and death situation.” Sheik said with his goofy smile. Calhan rolled his eyes and shook his head.

“Alright who wants to try next?” Calhan asked looking to the rest.

Near the group, under the ground in the temple something long left in sleep, awoke.

 



© 2014 Dreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

290 Views
Added on June 28, 2013
Last Updated on October 4, 2014

Descendants 2nd Generation


Author

Dreamer
Dreamer

LA



About
I'm just a simple country girl who likes to write the (what I find cool) stories I daydream up in my head. I also have a deviantart account at http://khiramae.deviantart.com/ don't have a whole lot .. more..

Writing
Prolog Prolog

A Chapter by Dreamer


Death Death

A Book by Dreamer


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Dreamer