Artists Paint By Numbers

Artists Paint By Numbers

A Story by Keree
"

The 'art' of staying within the lines

"
Artists paint by numbers, at least that’s what they seem to be doing. I’m not talking about Damien Hirst or any other postmodernist painters, sculptures or random mad person creating some obscure object to be shown in a gallery, no I’m talking about the other sort of the artists, the musical artists.
Much like painters and company, musical artists years ago used to, used to know how to read sheet music, be able to tell Beethoven from Bach, and were trained in a classical manner. Then the modern era kicked in, and art, in all its forms, began to change. For the painters it turned abstract and had a more deeper and unusual meaning, often depicting not the landscape, but the essence of culture. And for the musicians it did the same. You no longer had to be able to paint perfectly or play a classical instrument, you could now be able to express yourself through art in a more personal and individualistic manner. However, although this was a good thing for the arts in the modern era, it was not such a good thing for the post modern era.
A lot of people are ready to criticise Damien Hirst and co.  for creating, what some may say, a tub of paint thrown at canvas, or something a 10 yr old could have drawn, and labelling it art. However, nobody really criticises the musical artists, if you can call them that.
The musical ‘artists’ today are not real artists, yet get treated as such. The definition of an artist is someone who creates a piece of art, who puts all they are into their work, and if you’re looking at the modern personal side of art, putting their own emotions and feelings into it. But sadly the music industry, unlike the art industry, prefers the pretty or handsome person compared to the talented. These ‘artists’ have become mere dancers who occasionally sing a note or two, but that’s it, they can’t do both at the same time. They get classed as ‘performers’ as a way to cover up this fact, but it still doesn’t explain why they are still classed as a ‘musical artist’. This isn’t what bothers me most, it merely proves my next point.
Does Rihanna, JLS, Christina or Britney ever actually write their songs? I mean actually write, not be present when their being written. The answer’s no. So when their on stage dancing along to a song, they didn’t even write, how are they meant to show emotion and actually sing the song as a piece of music, a piece of art meaning to reach out to someone. The answer is they can’t because they have no emotional connection to the song they’re singing. So instead they dance, to stop people from noticing this point. These ‘artists’ get others to write the lyrics, make the music, and they just walk out on stage and take all the credit and get dubbed an artist. The emotion, the feelings, the actual f*****g meaning of the song is not drawn up by them, but by others.
Anyone can walk into a craft shop nowadays and pick up a ‘paint by numbers’ kit, with the outline drawn, and all the numbers laid out to make it easy. But this doesn’t make the painter of the kit an artist, they are merely filling in the last part, the final touches to a piece of work.  No effort, no fuss, no talent at drawing or being imaginative is involved. Much like the pop stars of today. Admittedly it’s not all, but its most, and while other artists who have amazing talent, who write their own music and put their all into working the small gig venues, these half naked hypocrites prance around on stage.
These ‘artists’ paint by numbers, fill in the last part of the puzzle and contribute nothing to the actual art form itself. It doesn’t matter if they can sings a pitch perfect note , it still doesn’t make them an artist. Just like being able to stay within the lines of a paint by numbers kit doesn’t make you an artist. I have respect for people who actually put effort into their work, and are doing it to make music or art, not so that they can get famous for very little talent.
Artists paint by numbers nowadays, so how can you call them artists?

© 2011 Keree


Author's Note

Keree
First draft- excuse any mistakes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

283 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 21, 2011
Last Updated on April 21, 2011

Author

Keree
Keree

United Kingdom



About
I'm probably your average girl with too many thoughts. Finishing a degree in Psychology, an area that both fascinates and numbs me at the same time. If like is like walking up a garden path then coun.. more..

Writing
Thought Crime Thought Crime

A Story by Keree