The Color of Magic

The Color of Magic

A Chapter by Katie Marie

    They destroyed everything.
    I stare at the ruins of a town that I used to call home.  The once magnificent stone buildings are just a pile of rubble on the cracked streets.  There is no sign of life.  Not anymore. There are no men or women walking through the market.  There are no children noisily playing games in the streets, or clinging to their parents’ hands.  There is nobody.  Because They destroyed the people too.
    Stumbling over the piles of stone, I search for something, anything, that might give me some hope.  If only I had taken a photograph of my family with me before I left, then maybe I would feel like there is something worth living for.  I would give anything to be able to see the faces of my mother and father smiling up at me, and I would give even more to see the face of my younger sister, Ashlyn.  She was only eight years old when I had to leave.  I remember it as clearly as if it happened yesterday.

The sky outside is dark gray, filling the house with a dull light.  Ashlyn is crying into my skirt, her shoulders shaking with sobs.

“Why Kyra? Why?”  she cries.

I kneel down, tuck her curly, dark brown hair behind her ear, and look into her eyes.  They are a brilliant green, and shining with tears.

“I have to leave Ashlyn.” I say. “I love you, and one day you will understand.  I’m doing this to keep you safe, and to keep Mama and Papa safe too. Please promise me that you will look after Mama and Papa, okay?”

My sister nods her head as tears continue to run down her face.

“Good.” I say, and give her a hint of a smile. “Now, I’m going to promise you something.  I promise that I will come back for you.  I promise that I will never let anything happen to you.  When this is all over, I’ll be back here with you and Mama and Papa, and everything will be back to normal.  This isn’t my last goodbye.”

I look up and see my parents standing by the doorway.  My mother is crying silently and clinging to Papa's arm.  I give Ashlyn a long hug and kiss her on the forehead, then walk over to my parents to say goodbye.

“Kyra...” my father begins, but I cut him off.

“I have to do this papa,” I tell him, “it’s the only way.  You know that as well as I do.”

My father nods his head gravely. “I know that Kyra, but I wish there was another way.  You’re only 16 after all.  I just can’t stand the thought that I might lose you forever.”

I don’t want to go, but if there’s any hope of ever finding a way to fix this, then I have to.

Trying not to show how terrified I am about what I’m about to do, I give my parents a last hug and kiss, then grab my bag and walk out the door.

   
    That was two years ago now.  I didn’t know then that it would be my last goodbye, and it’s all because of the color of magic.


© 2012 Katie Marie


Author's Note

Katie Marie
The start of a book! Let me know what you think.
I edited this a bit, and changed the names to something that I liked more.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A very good opening chapter. Open the door to many questions and mystery. I like the description of the damage area and the goodbye. I look forward to see where you are taking the story. A excellent opening chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well...apparently... http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheCallKnowsWhereYouLive

Poor Kyra. This is a very poignant and tragic beginning for the main character. You described the flashback well, which really set the tone for this piece. Now, you stated in the description of the book that this is a semi futuristic tale, yet even though there isn't much description of the town, I get the sense it looks...medieval. Maybe it's because of the title, The Color of Magic, and that making me think high fantasy.

Still, the emotions and actions of the characters you introduced are fairly believable. The only thing that sort of threw me for a loop is how it's narrated in present tense. I'm not used to reading tales written in that manner.

I do love the title drop at the end though.

This chapter reminds me of the game, "The Legend of Dragoon", more specifically, the song "If You Still Believe."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBabT4hDZts

I was intrigued. Well done.

-Caradoc

Posted 11 Years Ago


Katie Marie

11 Years Ago

Thank you for the review. I'm sitting in class right now reading this, so I'll have to look up the l.. read more
Caradoc

11 Years Ago

You're most welcome.

I tend to stick to past tense when doing first person narratives. .. read more
Katie Marie

11 Years Ago

I definitely understand that. :)
This is interesting............but don't u think that if u r writing a chapter then it should b a bit long................ya,,,..........i liked it too.............
but if i'd to say u sth as my opinion then u should have to make/write something more about it.............................................have a nice day.............

Posted 11 Years Ago


This was a wonderful opening scene. The description and the dialog in the flashback was very well done. I could easily see myself inside the imagery. I felt that it had the right pace and hinted enough at what the story might lead to that I'm now curious and wish to know more.

Nice ink!
Aaron

Posted 11 Years Ago


An interesting first chapter, I'll be waiting for the other chapters as well, the plot seems good and I'll be looking forward to see where this story will go....anyway great job

Posted 11 Years Ago


This was realy good. It had me interested right from the start. enjoyed.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a great start, you make the reader long for more. I am curious about what happens next. Please continue on!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is good! I read it and was hooked in the first two lines--I am interested. The scene of desolation in the beginning was really cool--always open with something dramatic; that's been my methods too, anyway. It's very sound when I'm working on my books

Posted 11 Years Ago



Unique..very original. I like the beginning you've written in this chapter..!

Nice storyline and the father-daughter exchange is great...

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nice start, I look forward to reading more!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Interesting, a tragic start very-well conveyed. It's not hard to envision the scene of distruction. I personally did not like the dialogue manner. It sounds a little bit artificial, maybe try to get your characters into more realistic, more natural conversations? Otherwise, good start. Let me know when the rest is out.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

480 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 24, 2012
Last Updated on September 28, 2012


Author

Katie Marie
Katie Marie

Hippyville, WI



About
I was introduced to this site by a friend who is an amazing writer. Thank you to my friend Cheyenne. About my writing: I don't ever write poems that rhyme. (So, if those are the poems you like to .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..