The Golden Key

The Golden Key

A Story by Katho28
"

Sometimes the things we expect to be far away are in fact closer to us than we think.

"
Sometimes I find myself looking around for something to fill the hole within me. My eyes scour across the ground for the slightest indication of what that something might be.
It isn't food.
Food satisfies hunger... and this is something else.
I'm searching for a key.
A golden key. To happiness. 

People say that happiness is equivalent to love.
I believe them.
I sit in a boat, ready to set out on a journey to seek out that key.
Surely I will have to travel long and far to find something so precious?
Surely the hole within me can only be filled up with months after months of hard work?
The motor of the boat rumbles to life. I take one last long glance at my home, believing that I will not come back for a very long time.
I notice a group of silhouettes standing on the jetty.
I discard them aside - people come here all the time to watch the sunset and take a few photos. 
Then they start waving at me.
"They're just overly eager tourists," I tell myself. 
But I don't even believe my own words. 
They aren't here to admire the sunset.
They're here for me.  
In my mind's eye, I can see their faces. Familiar faces. Warm eyes filled with tears.
I feel warm bubbles arise from my heart and exit my body as a wide beam on my face and tears in my own eyes.
Suddenly, I feel an absolute certainty that there's no need for me to take this journey.
Because the key is here.
Right here at home.
It's called family and friends.
True friends.
I switch off the motor and the boat stops rumbling.
My stomach starts rumbling.
I long for a taco and ice-cream. Cookies and cream ice-cream.
And as I leap onto the jetty and feel the tight, warm sea of arms around me, I realise that there is still a hole within me.
Except this time, it can be filled with food.
Because held tightly in my hand is the golden key.
I feel my lips curl up.
Then I loosen my grip on the key, knowing that even if it falls from my hand, it will never leave me.
Once you find the key, it stays there, right in the centre of your heart.
It becomes a part of you.
And I know - with absolute certainty - that I will never lose that part of me.

© 2013 Katho28


Author's Note

Katho28
A happy story :) Dedicated to those friends I find most dearest... thank you for always being there for me, especially in my greatest times of need.
Also, I would love to know what you think of this story :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautifully penned poem highlighting key to happiness is friends and family.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Friends are important and if you find the good ones, you're very lucky..nowadays, having true friends?? A miracle..
Well done, my friend..

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Katho28

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much for reviewing.
It is truly a miracle... true friends are hard to come by.... read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 9, 2013
Last Updated on August 9, 2013
Tags: Happiness, friends, family, love, key, journey, pursuit

Author

Katho28
Katho28

Sydney, Australia



About
For me, writing is something that comes from the heart. I write not because I have to, but because I love to. Because writing is how I express my innermost feelings and thoughts. It's how I show peopl.. more..

Writing
Dreamer Dreamer

A Poem by Katho28