Effortless melody

Effortless melody

A Story by Kate AKS
"

Something French and romantic.

"

                    Effortless melody

idea 17.02.2024


- I won’t return there.

- Don’t be ridiculous. You named it World Tour.

- You named it.

- Listen, our divorce has nothing to do with your career. I will stay with you at every important moment of your life. And I don’t allow you to ruin everything because of old trifles.

- There is a world outside Paris.

- I know, this song made you famous.

- We ended here because of this song, as you name it. They saw me as a composer, not as a pianist.

- And now you want to show that you are still a pianist. So, we need the Paris.

- You need it.

- Just think.

- Paris is not always a good idea. We are finished here. - Francois stood up from the piano.

- You practice daily.

- I know.

- You will make the proper decision.

- As you did. Marry our cook.

- Jordan is a chef in his restaurant. Remember this.

- I gave him money for opening this restaurant. I didn’t know that he would also take my wife.

- I am still working for you.

- I wasn’t in Paris for 23 years. It doesn’t make sense to make one performance and jump around. I don’t know the city, I can’t feel it. I have no idea what to play.

- So, we return to the main problem.

- It’s not a problem.

- It is. You have no idea what to put in your concert.

- If I return as pianist… People don’t know me in such a way. I don’t know what they need. For years they didn’t see my face. I am a composer, no one looks at me.

- You are right.

- What?

- Hold on to this idea, I need to solve some details.


*

- Are you out of mind? - This time Francois said it slowly, without emotions. He argued for two hours and now just couldn’t find new arguments.

- It will change your perception. - Marley knows that won, but to her ex-husband she needs to give some time to accept it.

- Month in the Paris.

- Yes. They will prepare the piano.

- This time piano in the restaurant will have all keys.

- No one would be allowed to play the instrument till you touch it.

- Fine.


*

They just gathered to eat, solve problems, buy forgiveness or promise for the night. They didn’t look at him. What to play? Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata. Probably not.

It’s still Paris. Debussy? Clair de Lune? Chopin’s Nocturne? Satie?

It was Paris and he returned here. He couldn’t play all this.

He still sat in front of the piano. No one looked at him.

Les souvenirs et les regrets aussi”.

Francois put his fingers on keys and he started to play Les feulles mortes.

Everyone recognized that song, it was proper for Paris. The next evening he walked away from the hotel and piano which was tuned for him.

Francois entered the little cafe and there was little piano. He played Les feulles mortes. People recognized it and at a third cafe, he started receiving written on napkins music which people wanted to hear. He collected them as treasures and he started to see what would be in his future program.

At the end of the second week when he entered in new cafe people recognized him and started to applaud. Thanks to social media and phones man who started with Les feulles mortes became popular.


*

- It’s next to our street. You know this.

- What it means?

- He is there, now.

- Next evening he will be at another street. Why do we need to meet?

- Because of him you learned the piano and taught me. After father’s death, we came to Paris. You are obsessed with him.

- I am not. I chose Paris because he said that never returned here.

- You learned by heart all his music.

- He won’t remember me.

- He wasn’t in Paris for 23 years. I am sure that he remembers you.

- I am glad that chose your father, I have you.

- And now you also could have him.

- You are my daughter and you say this.

- I want you will be happy. It’s just such simple. Go.

- I can’t, we planned to have dinner with you in the town.

- It will wait. I will leave you near the door of the cafe and you will enter there.

- What I will tell to him?

- I don’t know. You would know when you saw him.


*

Napkins gathered on the top of the piano. Francois played as in youth. He missed Paris. Again was just a pianist, not the composer of hits. Only once someone suggested to play his song. It doesn’t bother him.

One more napkin was with lipstick. Frère Jacques was written there.

Francois shrugged his shoulders and put a napkin on the others. For sure he remembered this kid’s song. But play it in the public. It could be learned by everyone after three attempts. He takes the napkin one more time. It could be a joke, it could be a coincidence. It could be her.

He started to play Frère Jacques. Public giggled.

- I would like to dedicate this joke to my dear friend, Stella. My star, your sense of humor is still the same. I wait for you near my table. Bottle of champagne, s'il vous plaît.

She couldn’t sit calmly on her chair. He looked at her, recognizing, checking how she changed.

- It was not my best idea.

- I taught you this effortless melody. Tu vois, je n’ai pas oubliè.

- Still. We met.

- I will have a concert. Are you interested in coming?

- Yes, Francois I will come.


February, 2024.

© 2024 Kate AKS


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Familiarity, relationships melding the two. An old and much loves song, Les Feuilles Mortes - the falling leaves. That other person who gives answers, piano, requests, a concert. A very fine tale, told gently with twists and turns. I'm left wondering what would come next. There are touches of mystery past and the lay of an unknown future. Hopefully happy and still remembering the famous child's song - a clue, perhaps.

Love your stories! Many thanks for sharing.

(Might add some more comments, will return and re-read. :)

Posted 3 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Familiarity, relationships melding the two. An old and much loves song, Les Feuilles Mortes - the falling leaves. That other person who gives answers, piano, requests, a concert. A very fine tale, told gently with twists and turns. I'm left wondering what would come next. There are touches of mystery past and the lay of an unknown future. Hopefully happy and still remembering the famous child's song - a clue, perhaps.

Love your stories! Many thanks for sharing.

(Might add some more comments, will return and re-read. :)

Posted 3 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 8, 2024
Last Updated on June 8, 2024
Tags: French, romantic, piano

Author

Kate AKS
Kate AKS

Lviv, Ukraine



About
Journalist, playwright, poet, artist. Since 2014 write in English. more..

Writing