Chapter 37

Chapter 37

A Chapter by Katie Wan
"

Oooh. Love.

"

“I don’t talk to Zane, Zander. I don’t know why you’re so hung up on this.” Abigail was collecting music off the stands around the classroom. Madeline and David had gone home to see Rylan and Phoenix off.

“You don’t fool me, Abigail.” She laughed and looked over her shoulder. Her dark hair was straightened down her back. There was a hint of red streaming through it today. “You’re so beautiful.” I froze the second I said it. A light rose color filled her cheeks and she spun around.

“You know, you could’ve just had everyone give you their music.”

I nodded and started collecting from the other side of the room. “That would require them to work.”

“Or perhaps it would require you to stay late and not see your father off.”

I took a deep breath and pulled the music into my chest, “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“If you hold it in it will only affect you negatively in the future.” I didn’t answer. Each sheet of music piled on top of the other. Abigail and I met in the center of a row. “If you talk to me about why you don’t want to be there, then I’ll answer your questions about Zane.”

I looked down on her pale face. She was smiling brightly trying to coerce me to her ways. There was no way I couldn’t give in. The deal was too good. I sat the music down on the chair and followed my body with it. Abigail sat next to me and watched my face as I tried to prepare myself. “I know how this is going to end. It’s obvious that either Collin or Shiloh will have to go. In the end I lose one of the most important people in my life.” I took another deep breath and sat back. “Collin didn’t know me. If he triumphs that’s it. Shiloh isn’t the same with Collin. He doesn’t know the pain that came with growing up. Shiloh won’t know how to be a good father, he won’t remember anything. No matter what happens we’ve lost him.”

“You can’t be certain.”

I stood up, “How can there be any other way.”

Abigail followed me to the front of the classroom. “Shiloh may be able to regain control. Perhaps there’s something else controlling this. Collin couldn’t have been stronger than Shiloh. Something is fueling him.”

“How can you be so sure? How can you be so optimistic?”

“I can be sure because my dad is working on the case too. I know him, and I know he would never let anything happen to Collin. Rylan wouldn’t let anything happen to Shiloh.”

“Do you think it’s a battle between our parents then? Whoever wants him more will get him?”

“No,” she stepped closer, “Whoever your dad wants will get him. That’s always been his choice. Rylan and Phoenix compete for no reason at all. Your dad’s made his choice and he will make it again. The only thing we need to do is give him his options.” Her hope and optimism lifted my spirits slightly. Then she said something I didn’t expect, “I won’t allow anything to hurt you, no matter what the cost.”

Warmth filled inside of me. I put my hand on the side of her soft face. Her silver eyes looked up into mine and the whole world disappeared. Slowly I began pulling our faces together. I watched her every move, her every emotion.  My body shook as she ran her hands up my chest. Just as I was about to touch our lips together her fingers felt the fabric of my suit. Her head pulled away and she unbuttoned the top button of my shirt.

The blue fabric appeared through the unbuttoned shirt. “You have a suit?”My heart sank as I realized my one opportune moment had passed. I stepped back and broadened my chest. As I unbuttoned my whole shirt Abigail’s eyes got large. Her hands ran up and down the fabric. “It’s so beautiful.” She gasped under her breath. Each of her fingers ran across my abs making my body tremble at each touch. I pursed my lips together and held my body still.  I let her imagination run wild for a few moments. I watched as her silver eyes flicked over my body. Her full hand grabbed at my bicep and held it there as if measuring. She hit the golden fabric and slid my shirt down. She looked at the Golden K stitched at the side.

She stepped back and reached for her collar. With a pull she exposed the golden O on the right side of her chest. The dark purple of her suit made her skin look paler than she was. The colors matched her perfectly from head to toe. “Why do we wear these?” She asked quietly.

“So people know who we come from.”

She smiled, “but aren’t heroes supposed to be stealthy and secretive. I always thought the golden O was a little ostentatious.” She and I both laughed. Then she surprised me by ripping off the O. “I want to make my own mark in the world. I want to be my own kind of hero and not have to answer to anyone. I’m tired of pleasing everyone just because of my family’s legacy.”

“Tell me about it. You’re preaching to the choir, sister.”

Her raspberry lips pursed together and she wrapped her nails around my K. With a swift pull the fabric was gone. She carefully held the two golden patches I her manicured fingers. “We aren’t our parents and they aren’t us.  This is our life we’re trying to live, our life we’re trying to enjoy. We can’t let our parents weaknesses rule our lives any longer. We need to go for what we want.”

“What do you want, Abigail?” My voice was soft as I asked.

Slowly her hands slid up the side of my shoulders and to my neck. With one quick move her lips were planted on mine. A slight panic lifted in my heart as I froze. I had no idea where to put my hands or my lips. I tried to relax as best I could until finally I became a robot. My hands went to the side of her hips and I pulled her in tighter. My body felt as if bubbles were flying through it. I wrapped my arms around her and picked her up. In full kiss mode I spun her around a few times.

I didn’t want to let go of this moment. My whole life was in this kiss. A new life was in this kiss. Abigail’s feet touched the ground lightly. “Abigail,” I whispered into her ear. Before I could continue she interrupted.

“Abbi,” I stepped back and looked at her strangely. “I’ve known about you long before our first meeting. I’ve seen you, much like Rylan saw Shiloh. You see I have the gift of foresight.” She took a deep breath and brought her hands to my chest. “I saw what Zane showed you. He showed me the same thing.”

In all the excitement I had completely forgotten about our deal. I cleared my throat, “Zane, yes.”

She smiled. “He came to me right after we got out of the portal. He trained me first before the rest.”

“The rest?”

“Madeline, William, and Atticus,” At this moment I didn’t care. All I wanted was to pull her body into mine once more. I wrapped my arms around her and rested my head on her shoulder. She lovingly rubbed the back of my neck.

“Sometimes life is just too hard,” I whispered quietly.

She nodded slightly and kissed the side of my neck. “I Know Z, I know.” 



© 2010 Katie Wan


Author's Note

Katie Wan
I gave people nicknames and then never used them.. Le sigh.. Suck.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

328 Views
Added on June 4, 2010
Last Updated on June 4, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan