Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

A Chapter by Katie Wan
"

Parker tries to explain himself.

"

“I just don’t understand why he would do that.” Hayden had her hands folded together on top of the table. Her eyebrows were lifted sympathetically as she looked at me. Malachi sat next to her, his arms crossed.

“That’s not what we’re here to talk about Hayden.” My words were soft and quiet. It wasn’t something I wanted to talk about at all. It happened, yes, there’s no reason to dwell on it. “Malachi do you realize what I’m asking you?”

His head nodded up and down. “You want my band and I to mash up with the symphony kids and play for your little singing group.”

I huffed, “well if it’s going to be a problem.”

Malachi put his hand up, “No. I’ll do it. I just don’t know how well it’s going to sound.”

“I’ll help,” I said softly and sat back. The three of us were sitting in the center of the cafeteria. People had left hours ago. I didn’t really feel like going to class anymore. Malachi looked up at me and sat forward. Hayden followed his movement. He and I both looked at her strange. Was Hayden actually having a change of heart towards Malachi?

I licked my lips and looked at the floor. “We better get back to class.” Hayden stood up and looked towards Malachi. As I looked up to them I could see their gaze behind me. There was no reason to look. By the stiffness in their backs I knew who was behind me. Hayden smiled and Malachi left after her. His hand slapped my shoulder as he walked away.

I sat silently for a moment before Parker sat down in front of me. His bright blue eyes were bloodshot and full of a deep despair, good. His lips parted as if he was going to talk and then they shut again. Finally he sighed loudly and leaned back in the chair. “There’s nothing I could possibly say to make you believe me.”

“That’s right,” I hissed. His eyes snapped up to me and returned to the table in front of him.

“I’m just going to tell you my side of the story. Trent can tell you anything he wants, it’s probably not true.”

I didn’t move an inch. “You’ve already proved everything you say is a lie also.”

His head sunk even lower. “You’re right, I have.”

My eyes moved to the walls surrounding us. “Say what you need to and get away from me.”

Parker grimaced and opened his mouth again. “I would never cheat on you. I would also never cheat for the All Stars. I’m not that person. I realize what you saw proves otherwise.” My head nodded up and down. “I never knew what the STARs were doing. You never told me, I’ll prove that to everyone else if it’s needed.” His eyes looked for an answer. I shook my head and he sighed. “I’m glad they understand.” He sighed and leaned forward. His elbows pressed into the tops of his knees. “I guess there’s no way to make you understand.” He took a deep breath, “I love you Russ.”

Immediately I stood up. I don’t play games, I never have. The chair squeaked as I stood up. “I’m not lying, Russ.” Parker followed me. I tried to carry myself out of the room as fast as I could. “Russ wait.” His hand grabbed my arm and he spun me around. The hand didn’t leave my arm. Instead it pulled me into his chest.

I couldn’t stop the tears then. “Why’d you do that?” I cried into his chest.

“It wasn’t me Russ. I swear to you I’ll prove it. I would never do something like this to you.”

My hand went to his stomach and I carefully pushed him away. His hands moved to my wrists and he pulled my hands to his lips. “I’m so sorry, Russ. I never intended for anything like this.”

My hands slipped from his and I wiped the tears from my cheeks. “I’m sorry too, Parker.” His blue eyes looked down at me. “Don’t talk to me again, please.” I patted his strong arm and turned around. Good, now that was over.

The cafeteria door banged loudly as I stepped out. I didn’t listen for Parker to leave. Instead I picked up my feet and ran out of the school.

I didn’t stop running I ran all the way back home. My mother’s car was in the front driveway. I could hear my younger siblings playing in the backyard. A few months ago I would’ve hated going home, now I wanted nothing more than to lie in my own bed. It was all I had left it seemed.

I walked into my room and fell face first on the soft mattress. I heard a door slam and my heart sunk, “Russ where are you?” my father screamed. Here we go again.


© 2010 Katie Wan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

318 Views
Added on April 22, 2010
Last Updated on April 22, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan